U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,581,986 times
Default What to do about an unaffectionate kitty?

I have two cats. My older cat is a very affectionate boy. He loves to sleep in my bed at night, he frequently curls up next to me on the couch, and I'm always enthusiastically greeted with a purr. He's about 4 years old. My younger cat is the polar opposite. If I bring him to bed or set him next to me on the couch, he leaves immediately. He very rarely seeks out my attention, and he never purrs. As a kitten, he was perfectly loving, but now he seems to have zero interest in me, unless it's feeding time. He's a little over a year and half old now.

I get that different animals have different personalities, but it's still disappointing. Does anyone have any suggestions for inspiring affection in an aloof kitty? (He doesn't like catnip - I've tried!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,411,064 times
Probably the less you try to force interaction, the better you'll do. Let him call the shots for awhile. If you notice certain things he initiates doing on his own, for play, etc., stick with those. Pretty much you have to accept him as he is, but the less you try to make him do things the more relaxed he'll be.
My older cat isn't nearly as affectionate as she was as a kitten. I've noticed she seems to feel much more lovey-dovey on waking up from a nap.
This is a great reason to adopt adult cats, if you're looking for a certain personality. It's very hard to tell with kittens how they'll be as adults.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,711 posts, read 14,320,073 times
The older cat may have let the baby know "This is my human" and now he is hesitant to show affection.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM

4,088 posts, read 3,938,297 times
Could be a phase. He is neutered?

I agree, don't force yourself on him, let him be who he is. There are things you can do to facilitate bonding, however.

Cats thrive on routine. So involve him in certain 'rituals' at the same time every day.

Play interactive Games with him every day at the same time.

Have grooming sessions at the same time every day.

Have a little treat ritual, where you hand feed, and then toss some (for Chase The Kibble Game)

When you come in at the end of the day, put your things down, and before you do anything else, sit on the floor and have a greeting session. Then get up and go about your evening chores, and proceed later with usual routine stuff such as meal times, play times, grooming sessions and so on.

If he chooses to get on your lap or settle next to you, resist the urge to pet him. Just let him be close to you without interference.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM

865 posts, read 698,161 times
One of my cats, a 6yr. old, was affectionate somewhat as a kitten. But now the only time she wants me to touch her is on her terms. When she's ready for lovin' she approaches me and let's me pet, rub her. She let's me do this until she's had enough. This occurs maybe once a week. It's frustrating, but she's my "don't touch me, I'm a star" cat. I haven't been able to pick her up in years. I can get her half way up and then she bolts. Oh well. I know she loves me anyway.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,534,209 times
My cat was mostly like that for years. She doesn't always seek out affection. Now that she's gotten a lot older (15 now) she actually seeks it somewhat more than she did in the middle years.

One thing she'll almost never do is stay put after you pick her up and place her somewhere. Some cats will do that, but I wouldn't think it too common.

So you just have to do things on his terms. Don't force it. Interact in other ways, treats sometimes, interactive play with a toy, etc. He may be more aloof than some cats but I'm sure he'll show some affection, just on his own terms.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM

1,031 posts, read 840,488 times
This is a good topic. We hear a lot about affectionate kitties, but not so much about those aloof ones. I think the advice given here is good. You can't force things, especially with cats. Kudzu mentioned that the older cat may have claimed you, thus shutting out the younger cat. That makes sense.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,792,544 times
I'll echo the sentiments expressed here about letting him call the shots...the more you try to force contact/interaction with an aloof-type cat, the more they seem to rebel. I liked Catsmom's idea about playing interactive games, this is a great way to bond and lets him know you're available without being pushy. My cats' all-time favorite cat toy is called the "Cat Dancer" (available for $2 on Amazon), it's a really simple toy (a long piece of wire with some cardboard-looking thingies on both ends), but the way it moves really excites them and they have a blast with it!

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,711 posts, read 14,320,073 times
My Ragdolls are just the opposite. Oscar is downright obnoxious with stretching up my leg if I am
standing still, wants in my lap when I'm sitting and right now he is tapping on the keyboard reaching out to me for pets. I even keep a spray bottle by my computer so I can get some work done without harassment. I can't even imagine an aloof cat. But I do remember some way in the past.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,123,282 times
I would try pointedly ignoring the unaffectionate kitty (of course still feeding him, etc.) and see what happens. He may seek you out. My cats have always hated it when I pretended not to care about interacting. In any case, let him find his own path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats