U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,733,396 times

Advertisements

Hello, my little 3 1/2 month old ragdoll Angus has a terrible habit of jumping on the table and counters. I hate it. It drives me insane. He gets into everything. I have so many squirt bottles lying around and I do use them on him, but it doesn't work. Any other ideas???? What about those scat mats? Do they work? He has plenty of good food and water, toys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,276,430 times
The main theme from the new TV show Cat from Hell, is that cats are either aerial cats or burrowing cats. You have a cat that wants to be up and looking down on the world. You need shelves near the window sills for the cat to look out, perches on the walls so the cat and look in and lots of cat trees. You can't keep the cat down but you can find some "up" spots that don't drive you nutz!

PS: Put the cat trees at the access point(s) for the counters. That will give the ragdoll an alternative.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,590,104 times
Well, rather than look for ways to deter a cat from doing what it instinctually wants to do, I would install some cat shelves around your home.

There is a new show on Animal Planet called My Cat From Hell, and the cat behaviorist, Jackson Galaxy, solves a lot of cat behavioral issues by having the owners provide a more cat-friendly home/environment for their feline companions. And the majority of the time, he recs cats trees, cat shelves, etc. to reconfigure the home for the cat. You might want to try to find an ep online to see what he is talking about: I think the second ep ("Fifi's Ruining My Love Life") was the one in which the owners made several similar modifications in their home to stop unwanted behavior in their cat.

You would certainly have to put some time and money into it but I think that it would give you a long-term solution that will make both you and your kitty very happy without having to resort to spray bottles, etc.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hello, my little 3 1/2 month old ragdoll Angus has a terrible habit of jumping on the table and counters. I hate it. It drives me insane. He gets into everything. I have so many squirt bottles lying around and I do use them on him, but it doesn't work. Any other ideas???? What about those scat mats? Do they work? He has plenty of good food and water, toys...
We just clear off the counters and table to make sure they can't knock something off and break it.

You can "train" him to not do it when you are there, but the *instant* (yes the instant) you leave the house it is going to be the first place Angus heads for. They're cats. You gotta love them for what they are and not try to make them into something they're not.

20yrsinBransno

Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 AM

221 posts, read 1,022,963 times
As others have said, cats naturally want to climb. Think of felines (lions, tigers) in the wild - they're usually resting up in trees, aren't they?

Really, people need to understand that when they acquire cats. It is feline nature to climb.

However, I've always had cats and don't let them up on my kitchen counters or nice couch - and they don't go there.

So here's what I do:

- I have always fed my cats up on a card table on the other side of the kitchen from kitchen counters. Cats prefer to eat "up" rather than on the floor. They know where their dishes are, so they jump on their card table to get food.

- When I leave home I put cheapy aluminum pans on the couch cushions and kitchen counter (those kind you can buy 2 for $1 at the $ store). Cats don't like loud noises or metal, so after jumping on those a few times they quit going where they're located. In fact after a while I forget to put the pans out, and don't have problems.

- There are many alternative places around the house where they ARE allowed climb. In my previous house I had cat shelves on the walls which led to a sunshiney place above the closet where they could hang out. In my current apartment they can climb on an old table in the living room and on the windowsills and on another table in the bedroom which is in front of a big window. They spend most of their time on that table.

If your cats are jumping on your counters to look out of a window by the counter, block the sill of that window with metal figurines or things that will make a loud unpleasant noise if they bump into them. And don't hang anything temptingly from the window that will entice them to batt at it.

And, obviously, don't leave food out on your counters.

I've never had to spray water at a cat ever in my life. My "no" command is a quick loud snap of the fingers. They know a "snap" means quit it. I also do a loud indrawn breath - the noise humans make when they're shocked at something - and point at them. They'll immediately slink away looking embarassed. Cats hate to be embarassed!

FYI I have always had between 2 and 6 cats at a time. I have 3 now.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
This is funny. Cats will do whatever they want to do---that is what makes cats for much fun.

We have two 9 year old Ragdolls. We have towers, shelves, and two specific high back chairs by sunny windows just for them to perch on. And guess what---if we had a thousand perches for them, they would still get on the counters!

I'm home all day so can catch them in the act and I immediately make loud noises or spray. They just giggle at me and run away.

Somehow they have been trained not to scratch the furniture - usually- but breaking the counter surfing habit has been in vain. I don't leave food but there are lots of other interesting things to explore like recipe cards, all sorts of school papers, bills, keys and other things a busy family leaves on the island. I really think they just like to be as eye level as they can be with me. One is way worse than the other.

And one in particular, Oscar, will scoot things off any table, counter, desk just to see it fall. Kinda like a baby in a high chairs likes to drop stuff to see where it goes. Also he is absolutely terrible about any liquid left in a cup or glass being fair game for sticking his paw into. I used to keep a cup of water by my bedside table but he would always get into it and spill so I had to stop that. Sometimes you just have to adapt to cats and their ways.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM

345 posts, read 786,091 times
There are rules just like for people and dogs.I have had cats all my life and currently I have 3 cats, I had 4 but one passed away a few months ago they are not allowed to do what they please when they please.

I have watched that show once, I think the guy is a Dog Whisperer wanna be and is trying hard to attract attention with his funky beard and guitar case. I just can't watch it and find him to be ridiculous. Especially that slow blink thing he did and swore that now he was "in" and the cat took a swipe and growled at him, lol.

Get your kitten a tall cat tree, a window sill seat/hammock and that should be enough for his needs to see the world. My two boys cram themselves in the cat tree my female prefers to be up my booty instead Cat trees can be pricey but check your local craigslist. Mine I bought new, but if I bought a used one I would steam clean it to make sure another cat's smell or cooties was not on it

Then go to Home Depot and by the clear carpet runner with the most pointy nubbies they have. It is about a dollar or two a foot, so measure your areas and buy enough to cover them. Place the carpet runner nub side up and walk away. Cats dislike stepping on the nubs since it can hurt and you do not have to be there to correct him, no need for any electricity. You may have to put a few pieces of tape, or something to make sure they do nto slide around. it is an inexpensive way to keep your cats off of things.

Also when you spray him make a noise, I make a spray bottle noise kinda of like Ksst and now I never need a water bottle. I just make the noise and they associate it with a spray of water and stop what they are doing. So pick a noise you are comfortable with and be consistant with it.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Also when you spray him make a noise, I make a spray bottle noise kinda of like Ksst and now I never need a water bottle. I just make the noise and they associate it with a spray of water and stop what they are doing. So pick a noise you are comfortable with and be consistant with it.
That's so funny. My boy kitty, Nimmy was REALLY BAD about scratching my face to get my attention. He would scratch me, and because it hurt, I would instinctively make a sucking-air-through-my-teeth sound before I would wack him for doing it. He didn't mind the wack, and would always lay down as if to say "oh please don't beat me" This happened so many times that now, when he is bothering me, all I have to do is make that sucking sound and he flops over like a dead kitty. It's pretty darn hilarious to see.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Some great suggestions mentioned already.
He is a cat. And on top of that, still a kitten. So getting into everything is normal. I try to keep counters clean etc., but mostly what I do:

Just try to enjoy their shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post

Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,945,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Just try to enjoy their shenanigans

This is what I do and it works out fine for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats