Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,824 times

Advertisements

My parents cats ended up with fleas somehow. My mom used Dawn dish soap and it cleared the fleas right up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,361 times
I realize this is an old post, but I have to speak up! I'm a nurse and have some education on the subject.

NO, you shouldn't wash your pet with DAWN! It's full of toxic chemicals. They only use it during oil spills because it's a crisis situation and those animals would die if a degreaser wasn't used. But to use it on your family pet regularly would be awful. Everything you put on your pet is absorbed into their skin.

To list just a few of the toxic ingredients found in Dawn dish soap, there’s Trisoclan, an ingredient found in some of Dawn’s antibacterial dish soap products. This chemical has been linked to heart disease and heart failure and it also impairs muscle function. Studies have also shown it to be a potential endocrine disruptor, which can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects and other developmental disorders. Another chemical, sodium bisulfate, can cause life-threatening side effects if ingested. Quaternium 15 is a formaldehyde releaser that can irritate skin and eyes as well as cause non-reproductive organ toxicity. And of course there’s the ever- mysterious “fragrance,” which the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t require companies to list the chemical makeup of. Also, being SOAP, this will burn your pet's eyes just like soap will burn your baby's eyes!

You should only buy a very natural shampoo made for animals which will be made much like a baby shampoo and not be toxic, and not burn their eyes. Your own shampoos will burn your eyes, just try putting some in your eyes. They are also toxic as well unless you are buying very natural ones.

Please use some common sense people.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcindyme View Post
I realize this is an old post, but I have to speak up! I'm a nurse and have some education on the subject.

NO, you shouldn't wash your pet with DAWN! It's full of toxic chemicals. They only use it during oil spills because it's a crisis situation and those animals would die if a degreaser wasn't used. But to use it on your family pet regularly would be awful. Everything you put on your pet is absorbed into their skin.

To list just a few of the toxic ingredients found in Dawn dish soap, there’s Trisoclan, an ingredient found in some of Dawn’s antibacterial dish soap products. This chemical has been linked to heart disease and heart failure and it also impairs muscle function. Studies have also shown it to be a potential endocrine disruptor, which can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects and other developmental disorders. Another chemical, sodium bisulfate, can cause life-threatening side effects if ingested. Quaternium 15 is a formaldehyde releaser that can irritate skin and eyes as well as cause non-reproductive organ toxicity. And of course there’s the ever- mysterious “fragrance,” which the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t require companies to list the chemical makeup of. Also, being SOAP, this will burn your pet's eyes just like soap will burn your baby's eyes!

You should only buy a very natural shampoo made for animals which will be made much like a baby shampoo and not be toxic, and not burn their eyes. Your own shampoos will burn your eyes, just try putting some in your eyes. They are also toxic as well unless you are buying very natural ones.

Please use some common sense people.
I literally can't not respond to this...

Wow, I pray you are never my nurse. Trisoclan is used in toothpaste - no good evidence of any harmful effects for mammals. Ever had bread? Because sodium bisulfate is used in tons of it - it's also literally used to treat cats orally for bladder stones. I see this kind of clueless propoganda all the time in patients, but I've never seen a nurse spew it like you do - you have no "education on the subject".

Normal human soap can be used to clean cats without worries. Overuse will cause drying of the skin and hypersensitivity-mediated inflammation as it does in humans, so use it only when necessary.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,840 times
I have tried many flea remedies and last night I tried dawn on my poodle! It's the first thing I've used that actually killed ALL the fleas and got all the flea dirt off of him! Him seems fine and his fur is soft and clean! I also used it on my sons hair(scalp) for scalp psoriasis! Again we've tried many different shampoos including ones prescribed by a dermatologist! He still had a little bit this morning when he got up , but no where near the normal amount! Just putting that out there!!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM

473 posts, read 502,018 times
Tear free baby shampoo can be fine. Dish soap not okay as it can really hurt to get it in eyes and very difficult to wash out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats