Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times

Advertisements

I have three who have very specific Rules about certain Toys.

The Boy (12 years old) has his Fur Mice. They are to be kept in a Fur Mice Pile directly in front of one of the other cat's cardboard box spots. It is my job to periodically round them up and put them back where they belong when they get scattered.

When he wants to play with one he goes to the Fur Mice Pile, sniffs them over, sometimes pawing at them, until he decides which one he wants. He plays with them by carrying the chosen one in his mouth to the stairs, releases it, chases it down the stairs and brings it back up, over and over again. Sometimes I am invited to play Fetch with him. He brings the Fur Mouse to me, I toss it against the back wall above the stairs and it plummets down to the steps, he chases it down and brings it back to me for me to throw again.

The Kitten seems to have learned the Toy selection behavior from him. SHE has her Furry Ball Pile. Her Furry Balls are to be kept on the roof of the Box Fort by the Chair. She paws at them as she decides which one to play with. She also sometimes knocks the ones she doesn't want off the Box Fort, so they go behind it, out of sight.

Again, it is my job to go around hunting them down, and collecting them to put them back where they belong.

My seven year old cat has this Tennis Ball. I am NOT To TOUCH this ball. She chases it around, does somersaults over it, and bunny kicks it into submission. Once, and only once I made the mistake of trying to join in on her Game with her Tennis Ball. I took it in my hand and rolled it across the floor for her to chase. If looks could kill......she gave me such a GLARE and would not touch that Tennis Ball for days afterward.

I was greatly relieved when she started playing with it again, I was afraid I'd ruined it for her forever, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,376,502 times
That's funny catsmom!

I like the quote "catly behavior" and also all the rules about the toys.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
Not on my head. She's done that to my hand before though, give it a lick then rub her face on it. Not too often. If you have something especially tasty on your hand, she may continue to lick it for that instead (french fries always used to be the culprit, something salty in other words I suppose).

If I put my head close at the right height she may give my forehead a sniff. Make sure it smells like me I guess.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Not on my head. She's done that to my hand before though, give it a lick then rub her face on it. Not too often. If you have something especially tasty on your hand, she may continue to lick it for that instead (french fries always used to be the culprit, something salty in other words I suppose).

If I put my head close at the right height she may give my forehead a sniff. Make sure it smells like me I guess.
One time I had let a long time go between hair cuts. Almost a year. And when I went, my hair dresser forgot that I never put stuff in my hair, and put some kind of gel in it before I could stop her.

So when I came home, I didn't smell like me. I st down in front of the computer, and all the cats came over and had a sniff, but it was The Boy who was most disturbed. He kept sticking his nose in my hair and taking these deep sniffs. Then he would pull back and stare at me.

Finally I went and stuck my head under the faucet for a quick shampoo and rinse, just so he would feel better.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,376,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

Yes, that's what I mean.. licks my hand, rubs HIS head. It doesn't have to do with food...

He has tried to "wash" my hair before though.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,406,462 times
Reminds me of a Steve Martin joke--

You know how cats don't like to have baths? Well my cat came home the other day so dirty I just had to wash him. It turned out ok, only thing I didn't like was the hair keep sticking to my tongue.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM

555 posts, read 1,567,345 times
At night, Anna likes to sleep between my legs, all the way up too. It's weird to wake up with a cats head stuffed in your crotch lol.

She's also a licker.

Sometimes when I'm sitting at my desk, she will reach her paws all the way up my back to get my attention.

Sometimes she will climb up on my headboard, get tissues with her teeth and drop them in my face when she wants me to wake up. I'm ok with it, as long as I don't wake up to a butt in my face.

She's also got a radar for twist ties. She will find them in the craziest places.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
I had a big beautiful Ragdoll boy. He was fixed but we had this one sheepskin in the house that Tim would just go totally amourous over. He didn't really know what to do, being fixed but he surely made a fool of himself on that sheepskin. Afterwards he would always act ashamed of himself and hide his head for a few minutes.

Poor Timmy, a rotten Coyote got him 3 years ago. I still miss him very much.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
LOL @ "catly behaviour."

Archie "buries" the food bowl when he is done eating....he will carry a dish towel or similar up where the cat food bowls are and cover up the food.

Cheech is the Enforcer, he has all the dogs scared of him, even the "I Fear Nothing" Rottweiler. If Cheech sits in a doorway and s t a r e s at the (four) dogs, they will all cluster and shuffle nervously, then bark to get my attention so I can remove the scary cat. Which is pretty funny because the combined weight of the dogs is probably 250-260 lbs, and Cheech weighs about 8 lbs.

Cheech will also climb onto visitors' shoulders and chew their hair. He has never done this to me, ever. Some sort of territorial, weird behaviour?

Elvis is a normal cat with no odd or cute habits and Gorman is semi-feral (was born a feral kitten) and few people have actually seen him. Including me. He had to be trapped for neuter and shots, mostly he is a tabby and white blur, I get fleeting glances of him. He's afraid of me but not of the dogs, go figure.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
Thanks for the cute post-love to "talk cats"...

Roxie licks me ANY time she can, face, hands, arms...but no head rubbing. I think she is grooming me and I am humbled by that...

Jackie loves scents...flowers & soap so far his favs...he adores gardenia blooms

Fuzzie HITS me in the face with her paw to: wake me, for food, petting etc. It actually hurts...she has drawn blood on occasion-those tissues would be nicer

Marlie has a temper issue...as in bad temper. IF he does not get what he wants...he makes kitty-barking sounds, his tail thrashes wildly & he literally jumps at the door/wall; he stops to make sure I see him, then starts all over again. Suffice it to say, he was a feral kitten, as were all the others.

Oh I love them SO much~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats