Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times

Advertisements

Oh, no argument from me - I was just reinforcing the point that we do the best we can with the information we have available at the time. And, some people cannot afford to feed premium/canned/raw and shouldn't be guilted for that. And seriously I can think of several dogs and a couple of cats that I've known who not only lived long lives on crappy food, but thrived and had really great lives. I can tell the difference between thriving and surviving.

Of course I've known many more that were listless, fat, poor coat and bad teeth, that lived neither long nor healthy lives and I am sure diet played a big part in their poor condition and early demise. The smoking analogy is apt.

You'll never find me suggesting cheap dry food as a staple diet for cats or dogs or even fish, for that matter. I feed primarily raw (and when I had Bettas, they got live mosquito larvae and live bloodworms, have you seen what the ingredients are in commercial fish kibble, LOL.) I think raw is the gold standard if done right, but understand that most people don't want to go there.

I lecture clients and people I know about feeding at least some canned food to cats, and feeding better food in general, I have influenced many people on the proper care and feeding of pet carnivores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There are heavy smokers like my mother who never develop lung cancer either. She chain smoked three packs a day all her life. Genetics plays a part. Others may be light smokers and develop lung cancer after much fewer years. Who wants to gamble? We know smoking causes cancer. Some animals may survive on crap food all their lives just as some people survive on fast food/junk food, but again.... who wants to gamble?

I'm positive if they take dry kibble for cats off the market, you'll see a lot of these diseases and stomach cancers, chronic vomiting and IBS in cats disappear. Include obesity and diabetes in that mix. Veterinarians aren't going to fight for the cats because they make no money on healthy cats. That one Veternarian in AU ran in to some serious problems when he tried to speak out against kibble. I'm glad some of the online vets here in the US are speaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Update on her food.

I'm still alternating Weruva Chicken w/ Soulistic Chicken cans. I'm adding a few bites of dry Wellness Core Fish & Fowl kibble daily to have her cruch something. I'm still ALL grain-free w/ ALL foods. But every vet/vet tech I've spoke w/ has no clue of Weruva, never heard of it, etc. How can a learned profession as vet medicine have no idea re: this brand or company? Most don't know Wellness let alone Weruva?
Trader Joes' foods have been dropped by me period as they have grains & thus no need for them.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
It was interesting (and painful) to read back through an older thread that I had posted to while in the throes of trying to figure out what I might have missed regarding Sabers' health.

Here's a new take on "the subject" of grain-free that I've come across since then.

Grain-free IS the ideal, BUT, grain-free in Pet Food speak almost universally means the manufacturers just substitute a starch, instead of meat protein, to fill up the can.

Starch is the new grain. Since we became better educated, Grain-free has been co-opted as a marketing tool.

I am still lame on using my computer efficiently or properly, but I found this angle/information a month or so ago, by Googling and following 2nd and 3rd page results, not the favorably skewed results.

I just found this article; it addresses almost all your points, Omega 3 & 6 etc.

I didn't post it to discuss dry food, I posted it because it has very detailed nutrition info, some of which was new to me even now.

The Truth About Dry Cat Food from Blakkatz

That Grain-free diets substitute a starch, (potato, pea, tapioca, etc.) is being hidden from consumers by well researched marketing campaigns. Natural, Grain-free, Wholesome Nutrition, etc.

Risky GM Potato believed to be in Some Pet Products

What’s Really in Pet Food

The results pages are endless, you can find more explicit starch references, these are just a few interesting sites I found right now.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Default All the Information

the
WHAT;S REALLY IN PET FOOD was so depressing.... what's the point.
better to get them to eat people food i guess.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster101 View Post
the
WHAT;S REALLY IN PET FOOD was so depressing.... what's the point.
better to get them to eat people food i guess.
There is a growing movement to do just that Here are two cookbooks for pets (FYI cats have specific and different nutritional needs than dogs)

Home

Pet Cookbook | Recipes for Dogs and Cats - Mercola.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats