U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 AM

105 posts, read 172,865 times
Default Re: Trimming over-the-eye whiskers

Some months ago I had a thread on here about Edward's eye infections. Everyone was so helpful; thank you again. The vet put some drops, turned off the light, and showed me where the eye was scratched. I could not figure out how that happened, but then it occured to me that his over-the-eye whiskers (is there a name for those) were exceedingly long, took odd turns at the end, and maybe the problem would be resolved by trimming them.

With much trepidation, I did trim them, and there has been no incidences of infections since, though I have the med in the refridgerator, just in case.

What is the name of those whiskers, and, given that he is ordinarily not going outside, at all, are there any dangers in trimming them down. I even wonder if I should have the vet remove them???

TIA
Connie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,603,861 times
The only danger is that whiskers tend to be sharper on the cut ends. Just keep them short enough so that they don't bend back into the eye. It is unlikely that your vet would want to remove them, just keep them trimmed.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,501,173 times
Those are his eyebrows. Also you probably don't need to be told, but just in case someone reads this thread and doesn't know - never trim, cut, or pull out the whiskers on either side of his nose (unless of course one is bent and sticking into his nostril or something).

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,384,969 times
Thing is, those eye brow whiskers are sensory tools. They help with spatial aspects and balance.

And since they are sensory, my concern would be, does it hurt, to cut them?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM

11,218 posts, read 15,501,173 times
No, it doesn't hurt to cut them. As in, it doesn't cause them pain. There aren't any nerve endings in the whiskers. But it will interfere with their balance somewhat. The nose whiskers are particularly important because they provide the cat with their own version of super-peripheral vision. The whiskers are (theoretically) the same length as the width of their bodies. They can know just by putting their head through a hole, whether or not the rest of their body will fit.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,384,969 times
Thanks. I did know that whiskers are supposedly the width of the body, though I have seen some cats who didn't read the memo, LOL. My tiny little Bridge Angel girly never got bigger than 6.5 pounds but she had HUGE whiskers!

But anyway, it's good to know it doesn't hurt them to have them trimmed.

So back on topic, to the OP maybe just snip the wonky part?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,239,895 times
i dont think you should cut them also talk to your vet like a few posters said he needs them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats