U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,656,952 times
Default Can A Cat Pass Worms To Humans?

First, a little background. My mom brought in a stray cat in December and kept putting off taking her to the vet (heck, it could be a him for all we know but my mom says "she" cuz of when she rolls on her back my mom sees nothing, LOL). I've told her all along to have a vet visit, esp. when my mom started mentioning that the cat wasn't gaining weight (as of 2-3 weeks ago). Having had a cat myself that had tapeworm, I know that's a big reason for weight loss (other than sickness).

Fast forward to a couple hours ago and my mom calls and tells me she is taking the cat in tonight since she found a worm in a spot the cat lays a lot.

So, my question is - can it be passed to humans (and other cats for that matter, since my mom has another cat too)? If so, can the worm(s) be passed around.

I am asking because I, and my 2 nephews, were in my mom's house a week ago Saturday and my mom was in my car this past Saturday. I have 2 cats at home and am now worried that the worms will wind in my home and on my cats (so far everything seems okay). I told my mom to ask the vet tonight, but in the meantime I am a little worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 PM

575 posts, read 549,913 times
Yes and No. Your cat is not going to give you tapeworms like they would give you, say, a cold. It's transmitted by fecal matter, muscle tissue, and fleas - which is probably how the cat got it.

Children usually get tapeworms because their hygiene is lax - they touch things and put their hands in their mouth etc. And they tend to get more flea bits than adults because they are on the floors.

If you have a multi cat (or dogs too) in the house then you should treat them all - most likely they all have it. A good vet will test the most likely suspect and sent home meds for all the pets in your home. Be sure to get accurate weights on everyone before your vet appointment

Many times if you only have adults in your house then no humans ever have a problem - your Human critter is another issue as they are more likely to have gotten it from your furry critter. LOL.

Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 PM

8,209 posts, read 6,400,406 times
Once had a cat with tapeworm. The vet said it probably came from eating a fly, an intermediate host.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,168 times
I rescued a feral kitten, and she has been wormed once. her belly is like a balloon. I have a 9 month old kitten who is also a rescue can he catch it, and can my 15 year old toy poodle and 11 year old pomeranian catch it as well? She does have fleas, but we have been bathing her with a natural product that temporarily kills the fleas on contact, waiting to buy time until she is older enough for flea protection. I am started to get freaked out only because she is so tiny, and her belly is so big. We are waiting for an impending hurricane and everything is closed.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM

3,931 posts, read 8,178,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post

Children usually get tapeworms because their hygiene is lax
Which is why it's important that children be tested, wormed , and vaccinated before they are allowed to come in contact with the cats.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,701,264 times
Yes! A large number of roundworm eggs can accumulate where cats defecate. People, especially children, who ingest such eggs can develop serious health problems, such as blindness. In fact, roughly 10,000 children are infected with roundworms each year.

Hookworm larvae can penetrate human skin and cause lesions. And people can acquire tapeworms through the ingestion of an infected flea.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-ca...are-worms.aspx

Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
My kitten is 4months old and she let out a silver worm what does that mean and what can she take or do to make it never come back and can she get it from a human

Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM

1,808 posts, read 520,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cierra young View Post
My kitten is 4months old and she let out a silver worm what does that mean and what can she take or do to make it never come back and can she get it from a human
If you're sure it's a worm and not a piece of string, put it in a baggie (if you still have it) and take it and your kitten to the vet. It's common for young kittens to have worms and are routinely treated for them. She should be checked by a vet anyway and get her shots, if you haven't done so already.
You need to know what type of worm she has, as one worm medicine won't necessarily be effective for all kinds of parasites. Cats can get worms from food and flea/insect bites. There may be other ways I don't know about, as I'm no expert on the subject. Get her to a vet for the right treatment. It's not the end of the world if your cat has worms, but does need to be treated.

Last edited by catdad7x; 06-17-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 113 times
I find a kitten out side brought it in had it for amonth last night it vomted and it had four big long white worms in it so I got some worm away from petsmart today but he still acting like he wants to vomt don't have money for a vet

Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 520,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynshel View Post
I find a kitten out side brought it in had it for amonth last night it vomted and it had four big long white worms in it so I got some worm away from petsmart today but he still acting like he wants to vomt don't have money for a vet
There are different types of worms requiring different medications. Sorry to say this, but your cat really needs to go to the vet. Perhaps you can find a vet that will work with you on a payment plan, and if so, it would be helpful to take a sample of what the cat expelled. I haven't ever seen a cat throw-up worms, so no experience there. But it doesn't sound good and I wouldn't delay getting him in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats