U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,602,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Chopped beef is not a complete diet. It lacks minerals for one thing. Cooked eggs are fine but raw destroys a very important vitamin. Tuna fish isn't healthy for them either. Where did you get the idea to feed such a diet to your cat?
Because they are naturally meat eaters in the wild, along with occasionally beating skunks to the eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,471,547 times
Quote:
Probably any store that caters to the snake and lizard crowd would carry such things. That's what people feed them. What can be better than birds and mice for cats?
I don't disagree, I just found it odd that English sparrows would be on the menu. I wouldn't have even looked twice at frozen quail, pigeon, or any other bird with widely accepted use as feeder stock or culinary stock. Sparrows means that someone is trapping them and flipping them to the store or the store is trapping them. I passionately hate English sparrows and have no ethical hang-up over the practice whatsoever, just wasn't something I would have expected to see. Perfect sized bird for feeding kitties, though.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
We're probably talking out of my price range then. Overnight shipping is costly. I don't understand why the large grocery stores don't carry organ meats anymore. We have no butchers here as in the cities. When I lived in NYC I'd have the butcher make a package of organ meats and meat scraps every week. The cats wouldn't eat it but the dogs loved it. He'd add a little bit of everything to the package. Then for my son's guinea pigs and rabbits I'd stop by A&P and Bohack for the crates of waste vegetables. It was a sin what was thrown away back then. It probably still is.
This probably isn't out of your price range, on the other hand...

YouTube - ‪Sparrow Trap‬‏

Are you handy?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,905,190 times
bideshi...while you are right technically about the meat the problem is ground hamburger that you can buy from the store is just muscle meat and fat, cats need a balanced calcium to phosporous ration first and froemost which needs to be done by adding edible bone (neck, chicken ribs wings ect) or by adding a calcium suppliment...
you also need ot balnace out muscle meat with organ meat...so adding liver and kidney (liver at bare minimum) is a must...

secondly while cats would eat meat in a natural diet, ive never seen a pride of wild cats hunting beef steer...though it would be quite entertaining...so it might be worth "switching it up" some and using turkey, chicken, rabbit, duck ect rather than just beef...cats in the wild will eat rabbit, mouse, rat, snake, and various birds.
i have no problem with people feeding the meat thats available, as long as its balanced, they do need MEAT BONE and ORGANS.
youve got the meat part down...but your still missing the 2 other parts of the equation.

i only do canned fish (or any fish for that matter) once in a great blue moon...too many chemicals like mercury in canned fish.

i DO give mine raw eggs, raw eggs are better as cooking changes the protein structure.

unblanaced raw diets can be just as bad as commercial kibble...so you certainly need to be aware of those problems if taking the raw route.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,804,536 times
On the other hand...canned clams are extremely high in taurine (an essential amino acid for cats.)

There's tons of excellent websites on feed raw to cats specifically...this little article gives a pretty basic rundown, including information on taurine (except for cats, the recommended amount of bone is a bit high...8-10% is more accurate for cats although more won't harm an adult cat):
Cat Food: taurine, canned clams, natural prey

Bideshi, kudos to you for realising your cat is an obligate carnivore! Add some calcium source, organs and a bit more variety and you'll be fine.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,067,576 times
I have 11 cats. I used to feed the prepackaged frozen raw diet to my guys but haven't done it in quite some time. Now I'm worried about the comment about waiting 12 hours after eating dry or canned food. I was thinking about doing a part raw diet again...but waiting 12 hours...that's pretty much impossible with all these guys....

Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM

575 posts, read 1,501,276 times
One of my biggest undertakings in feeding the raw is going to be switching mine off of the free feeding. My Lexie has bottom of the bowl phobia! LOL if she even thinks that bowl might get empty she starts to cry for a refill - it's so annoying. There is plenty in her bowl but she will wail for a fill up relentlessly only to take two bites once I give in and give her more. She draws a hard line that if she can see the bottom then that bowl is empty When we got to bed at night we have to make sure the bowl is "Lexie full" or we know we will get woken up in the middle of the night LOL

Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
One of my biggest undertakings in feeding the raw is going to be switching mine off of the free feeding. My Lexie has bottom of the bowl phobia! LOL if she even thinks that bowl might get empty she starts to cry for a refill - it's so annoying. There is plenty in her bowl but she will wail for a fill up relentlessly only to take two bites once I give in and give her more. She draws a hard line that if she can see the bottom then that bowl is empty When we got to bed at night we have to make sure the bowl is "Lexie full" or we know we will get woken up in the middle of the night LOL
Who's training who around there?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,905,190 times
ive personally never had problems feeding raw and comercial... just as long as i dont tyr to feed in the same meal...

ive also fiound my cats are much less interested or worried about bottom of the bowl on raw days...i think its much more satisfying for them so there less interested in grazing.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,399,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because they are naturally meat eaters in the wild, along with occasionally beating skunks to the eggs.
They would not be eating eggs on a regular basis and those eggs would be in various stages of incubation. From yolk and white to fully formed little bird. It would also only be in the spring and early summer when birds are breeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or