Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We have an 8 year old female cat who has been urinating outside the litter box. We also have a 3 year old male cat. Both are happy, healthy, and get along well. Both are indoor cats. We have had both since they were kittens.

Our 8 year old's peeing problem started 3 years ago when we went on vacation, and she peed on our bed several times because she seemed displeased with our going away (though we had a great pet sitter come by every day). We think the peeing started because just a few months before we adopted our other cat, and at first the two did not get along because the kitten was very playful and the older cat (with the peeing problem) wanted to be left alone. (They started getting along after about 6 months). After this peeing incident, we took her to the vet right away, no UTI, and she had a full workup and nothing was found. After that, she soon started peeing on plastic bags as well as clothing left in piles on the floor and also bath mats. We chalked it up to boredom because we had already taken her to the vet and she would use the litter box pretty regularly, but would pee on one of these things (plastic bags, piles of clothes, bath mat), about twice a month. Sometimes we'd go several months without a pee issue. There was never any straining or meowing while using the litter box.

Then we moved. We hoped the change in scenery would solve the pee problem. There was no pee for the first five months in the new house and we thought we finally had this issue solved with a change in scenery. Then it started up again. She still was only peeing on piles of laundry, plastic bags on the floor, or bathmats. Soon we started not leaving plastic bags or clothes out and the problem temporarily stopped.

Then it started up again. Then we decided to add an additional litter box to the two we already had. The problem continued.

We chalked all this peeing up to boredom and gave her more play time. We just tried to deal with it by not leaving stuff on the floor until last week when she started peeing directly on the carpet. We went on vacation for a week, had a pet sitter come every day, and after the vacation we found the pee. We chalked that up to stress over the vacation. But since this seemed to be a change from her old urinating outside the box habits we took her to the vet this week to see if she might have had a UTI this time. No UTI was found, complete work up was done, vet said she was fine. But the vet did not have many helpful solutions to solving this problem.

We feel that now we have a bigger problem given that she is now peeing directly on the carpet. Today I saw that she had peed on the new bathmat twice too. We keep having to throw out bathmats and get new ones once a month. We can't start throwing out the carpet. What should we do? We love this cat and are open to doing everything we can to solve this problem. But the problem seems to be getting worse (i.e. the cat is now peeing directly on carpet).

Besides our move one year ago (which is better for the cats because there is more room to run and play, and wildlife to watch from the window, etc.) there have been no changes to their environment besides this one vacation that we took 2 weeks ago. The pee problem occurred before the move to the new house. Both cats get along well and sleep together, groom each other, etc.

Any suggestions? We are open to trying different brands of litter, moving the litter boxes, etc. We currently have three litter boxes, one covered and two uncovered. The litter boxes are kept in a spare bedroom that we never use, so the cats can use the litter boxes with lots of privacy. So I think they're happy with the location and number of litter boxes.

If she's doing this because of stress, we're not sure why she's so stressed. If she's doing it out of boredom, we're not sure how to solve that, either. We give them both lots of playtime, they also have each other to play with, and we are home a lot, and they are always interacting with us when we're home.

Last edited by Bass101; 07-08-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Firstly, I would separate the litter boxes so that each cat has his/her own space in which to do his/her business. Otherwise, it sounds as if you have done everything within your power to remedy the problem. The only other thing that I will suggest is a second opinion from a veterinarian. There are a host of other medical issues other than UTI's that can cause this kind of behavior.

Here is a great article that answers a lot of your questions and provides more possible solutions:

Feline Inappropriate Elimination (http://www.indianwalkvet.com/inappropriate_elimination.htm - broken link)

Unfortunately, when such an issue presents itself, it is usually trial and error to find out what will prevent it. If you can afford it, a behaviorist might make the process go more quickly than trying to do it on your own, as a [good] behaviorist can observe and more readily detect the source of the problem. You vet should be able to recommend a good behaviorist in your area.

I will also tell you that, even though the two cats may get along, that doesn't mean that the male is not dominant and/or preventing the female from venturing near the boxes. This is why I suggest separation of the boxes; I also like the idea of having one on each floor of the house to make them more readily available if she has issues with arthritis, etc. that make it difficult for her to reach a box.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Firstly, I would separate the litter boxes so that each cat has his/her own space in which to do his/her business. Otherwise, it sounds as if you have done everything within your power to remedy the problem. The only other thing that I will suggest is a second opinion from a veterinarian. There are a host of other medical issues other than UTI's that can cause this kind of behavior.

Here is a great article that answers a lot of your questions and provides more possible solutions:

Feline Inappropriate Elimination (http://www.indianwalkvet.com/inappropriate_elimination.htm - broken link)

Unfortunately, when such an issue presents itself, it is usually trial and error to find out what will prevent it. If you can afford it, a behaviorist might make the process go more quickly than trying to do it on your own, as a [good] behaviorist can observe and more readily detect the source of the problem. You vet should be able to recommend a good behaviorist in your area.

I will also tell you that, even though the two cats may get along, that doesn't mean that the male is not dominant and/or preventing the female from venturing near the boxes. This is why I suggest separation of the boxes; I also like the idea of having one on each floor of the house to make them more readily available if she has issues with arthritis, etc. that make it difficult for her to reach a box.
Thanks for the tips. Does it sound like we will never be able to solve this problem? It's just kind of stressful for us to constantly be checking for pee, and cleaning up pee, and now that she's peeing on the carpet, we really don't want to have to be replacing carpet if it gets ruined to the point where it needs to be replaced. I will try separating the boxes, that is something I did not think about doing. I will also look into a behaviorist. Have others had good luck going that route?

Should we try a different brand of litter? Maybe she doesn't like the litter we are using.

I will also add that the cat with the peeing issue has only ever done the peeing on the same floor as the boxes, so I guess it's less likely that it's a result of not being able to make it to the box on time. I will also add that the alpha cat here is the female (peeing) cat and she always has been.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Does it sound like we will never be able to solve this problem? It's just kind of stressful for us to constantly be checking for pee, and cleaning up pee, and now that she's peeing on the carpet, we really don't want to have to be replacing carpet if it gets ruined to the point where it needs to be replaced. I will try separating the boxes, that is something I did not think about doing. I will also look into a behaviorist. Have others had good luck going that route?

Should we try a different brand of litter? Maybe she doesn't like the litter we are using.

I will also add that the cat with the peeing issue has only ever done the peeing on the same floor as the boxes, so I guess it's less likely that it's a result of not being able to make it to the box on time. I will also add that the alpha cat here is the female cat and she always has been.
You might think that she is alpha. However, males are generally more dominant than females, if only b/c of their urine. Even in neutered males, urine is used to mark, and females (as well as other males) will instinctively react. She could be marking, although it is less likely in females. However, either way, separating the boxes should help the situation.

I think that you can solve the issue, it will just take time, patience and a lot of trial and error. I've already made some suggestions that you have already shot down without having tried them b/c they don't make sense based on your rationale. However, just b/c you think that something will not work does not mean that your cat does, which is why you just need to try to find out what works.

Stop making assumptions about your cat and simply act and observe; trust me, you will be surprised. More often than not, cat owners think that they know their cats only to find out that they know nothing, mostly b/c they've been thinking like a human rather than a cat. This is why it's so important to stop making assumptions from your own point of rationale and to simply modify, observe, then modify and observe. Just b/c something should work (by your reasoning) doesn't mean that it will; this is your cat's reasoning that you need to figure out. This is actually what behaviorist's do, and it sounds as if your cat's issue is behavior-related rather than physically-related. However, only a second opinion can help you to rule out with some assurance the possibility of a health issue.

I know it's exasperating, especially when pee is involved, but once you figure it out, you will have a whole new appreciation for your cat and the natural world. In fact, you will actually begin to think like a cat and understand the world from a cat's point-of-view. So, stop thinking like a human and just start trying stuff (read the article, it has some great tips). You will eventually stumble upon the answer. Just remember that it took Edison about 1,000 tries before he figured out the light bulb, and you are trying to figure out a cat, so...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I've already made some suggestions that you have already shot down without having tried them b/c they don't make sense based on your rationale.
I never shot down your suggestions. I specifically said in my reply that I will try separating the boxes, that I hadn't thought to do that before. I also agreed that consulting a cat behaviorist sounds like a good idea. I talked to the vet about that and the vet agreed it was a good idea.

Re: the second opinion, that is worth considering but the vet did a full bloodwork work-up, and the numbers were all fine. The exam was fine too. Not sure what a second opinion might elucidate as there weren't any "gray areas" in the exam/bloodwork.

I understand that there's more to animal dynamics than meets my untrained eye. I am willing to be patient. I just wish my sweet cat wasn't feeling so stressed for whatever reasons.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
If health problems are ruled out, it's a behavior problem. Try what was suggested, the separate litter boxes, (also, scrub them thoroughly at least once a month if not more), and maybe use one of those pheromone plug in things. They kind of work...not perfect but they do tend to calm cats down a bit.

Also, where she has peed on the carpet, make sure you get that clean. I think it was suggested already to get an enzyme cleaner...you need to do this if you don't want repeat problems on that spot.

In the past, when I had only three cats, the youngest and newest one eventually developed this problem. The cats got along, she was the sweetest thing in the world, no one ever fought...nice...but she peed on everything. The bed, the floor, my clothes, and one time, I had JUST got a nice new couch set from a co-worker and she peed all OVER that thing. Had it for a month before she destroyed it. Sigh.

I eventually knew that in order for my life to improve greatly, I needed to move. However, the stipulation put forth was that I could bring one cat with me for this year long "breather" I was getting. That meant I had to find a place for the other two during this year. I gave them to a trusted individual who took the best of care of them and at the end of that year, I took one back and let him have one since he had basically changed from a "non cat guy" to a "doting on the cats endlessly and obsessively" guy. Haha. In other words, he adored those cats and I felt bad just ripping them away from him even though they were mine and it was an agreement.

I let him keep "peer" not because she was "the peer" but because the other one I could no way part with and the "peer" would have been happier as a single cat anyway. And you know, she never peed on anything again.

So, sometimes, it could be due to another cat. Not what you want to hear and maybe it won't be in your situation, but it can happen.

But try everything else first. Do everything you can to remedy the situation.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I never shot down your suggestions. I specifically said in my reply that I will try separating the boxes, that I hadn't thought to do that before. I also agreed that consulting a cat behaviorist sounds like a good idea. I talked to the vet about that and the vet agreed it was a good idea.

Re: the second opinion, that is worth considering but the vet did a full bloodwork work-up, and the numbers were all fine. The exam was fine too. Not sure what a second opinion might elucidate as there weren't any "gray areas" in the exam/bloodwork.

I understand that there's more to animal dynamics than meets my untrained eye. I am willing to be patient. I just wish my sweet cat wasn't feeling so stressed for whatever reasons.
I wasn't trying to be snarky. It's just that you mentioned that you didn't think that it was an issue of her not being able to make it to the box and I thought that you shouldn't be so ready to dismiss the idea that, for whatever reason, she can't get to the box. The article mentioned that if an animal is in any kind of physical pain (i.e. arthritis, which wouldn't show up on blood work) and has to endure pain to get to the box, then that will deter them from reaching it. Even if the litterbox is on the same floor, if she hurts walking, she is just going to go in a place that is close by. Just something to keep in mind if all else fails.

It also mentioned that some cats have peculiar taste when it comes to litter. There is a brand that the article recommends that may be worth a shot. As the article states, some cats don't even like litter but prefer an empty box or one filled with strips of newspaper. Again, it would be a question of trial and error.

And while all of us think that we're experts when it comes to our animals, it's sort of amazing what a good behaviorist can see that we can't. As pet owners, it is a bit difficult for us to always be objective A good behaviorist can see what we can't.

The same goes for a vet. No vet is infallible, and a second opinion is never a bad idea. Even when your vet is completely competent and trustworthy, another vet might be able to see something that the other vet cannot.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
We recently had a problem with our 9 year old male urinating outside the box and immediately took him to the vet. UTI was ruled out and we eventually had success with new litter boxes. We bought some heavy duty Rubbermaid storage boxes to use for litter boxes. Haggie likes to perch on the edge of the box to do his business and the smaller boxes just didn't cut it anymore.

So far, so good...

Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
A friend of ours had good success with the "Attract" cat litter. Petsmart carries it and even though it is more expensive, it is worth the money, if it stops the peeing. I was recently at a Petsmart and someone there bought this litter. I asked him if he liked it and he said it solved his cats peeing problem and that he would never buy anything else again. Worth a try, IMO... the litter is about $15 a bag (clumping kind).

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I had the thought also that the male may be barring the female from using the litter boxes. Rather than moving one of the three, add another or even two, but put it somewhere else.

Cat Attract litter has been very successful in these situations.

Also install a few feliway plug in diffusers which help both with territorial feelings and stress. When cats pee outside the litter box it is because something is wrong. It is not always obvious to humans what might be wrong, so as was said, trial and error has to be the way to proceed.

I want to address the health issue though. Some things don't show up on tests or lab results, idiopathic cystitis being one of them. Because of the intermittent nature of this, I think this is a very likely possibility. Occasional inflammation of her bladder or urinary tract may be the cause of this.

The inflammation could be brought on by stress, or even diet. What are you feeding her?

Sometimes a change in diet can help. If she isn't already on a grain free canned diet, putting her on an all canned diet, one that does not contain grains, or artificial things, stuff that she may be sensitive to, might be the answer.

So I recommend adding one or two new litter boxes in a new place, using cat attract litter, using feliway plug in diffusers, and a canned grain free artificial anything free diet.

As a last resort, there is medication that is prescribed for this kind of issue. It is called amitriptyline. It helps reduce stress, control anxiety and as a consequence, reduce any inflammation.

One more thing, if you have seen the same vet through all of this, a second opinion is in order.

keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats