Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times

Advertisements

On our long trip home I just know I won't be able to resist letting that little guy out! It will be so hard But as others have said - what if we have an accident? Or what if he goes nuts in the car -its best for him to be confined to the show shelter. At least that has a ton more room than the carrier does . If I do hold him I'll probably crawl into the back and hold him back there. That way there can be no leap on the driver type mishaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
On our long trip home I just know I won't be able to resist letting that little guy out! It will be so hard But as others have said - what if we have an accident? Or what if he goes nuts in the car -its best for him to be confined to the show shelter. At least that has a ton more room than the carrier does . If I do hold him I'll probably crawl into the back and hold him back there. That way there can be no leap on the driver type mishaps
They don't need room on a drive in the car. Most cats will feel more secure in a smaller space. And they won't be sliding around when the car goes around a corner. Just enough room to crouch or curl up is all a cat needs in a carrier for a car trip.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Have you ever been driving and have a cat crawl under your foot on the gas pedal? Not a fun moment.
Yep, in the days before carriers were so common.

Or have a cat insist on looking out the window -- the driver's side window, that is. Nothing like trying to watch the road over the cat's head, while trying to shoo the cat back over to the passenger side.

Ever tried to reason with a cat that's it's a passenger and belongs on the other side of the car? LOL

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
One other bit of advice- do indeed be Zen about it all. A lot of cats are very good at picking up on your emotional state, and if you're stressed or overly loud (either vocally or with body language), then they're more likely to reflect that and be stressed or fussy as well. When my cats are in a new or trying situation, they seem to do best when I'm staying calm and matter of fact toward them rather than constantly fussing with them.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
It's a life that I'm responsible for so I think I'm doing what any good parent would do for a new kitten. I'm guessing most people make WAY too little of it.
If more people had your attitude we would not see starving, neglected, homeless cats and dogs!

Bless you. I'm feed many homeless cats right now. Nearly ALL of them came from a rent house up the street. Cats were left outside and not spayed. I just found out that when they were evicted they left two cats locked up inside the house. I'm feeding those two cats now. Four I've taken on as my own and added to my three I've had for eight years. Others are being spayed or neutered and always fed. I s/n as I get money, but I have only one female to trap (unsuccessful in taming her) and two more adults after that. These people even went to rescue and got the two cats that they left in the house! The female is spayed; the male is a beautiful black and white boy. I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow since he has a huge puncture wound on his cheek. Later, I'll take him to the spay/neuter clinic to be neutered.

I'm actually at the point where I'm almost overwhelmed by the homeless cats. Not quite there, but damn there are some irresponsible and heartless people in the world.

You do not know how good it feels to read someone's post who actually wants to learn, and give the best care and home to their cat. You can learn a LOT on here. I do. Lot's of knowledgeable cat people. Thank you!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
Thanks all. I pick up the kitten tomorrow morning.
I'll post pics.

So I bought some non-clumping cat litter last night. Based on what I read I'll this out for at least another month or so til the kitten is a bit bigger. I bought clay, non-scented, nonclumping. It says to just scoop and change the litter out every 7-10 days. So if it doesn't clump, won't the pee just sink to the bottom and start stinking long before 7-10 days? What's the normal procedure for non-clumping?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
So if it doesn't clump, won't the pee just sink to the bottom and start stinking long before 7-10 days? What's the normal procedure for non-clumping?
The clay absorbs it. When you scoop the solid stuff out of the litter every day or so, give the whole box a thorough stirring. That way the damp clay will mix with the dryer clay, and the dryer clay will absorb some of the dampness. That way you won't have wet spots.

I'm excited for you!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I pick up the kitten tomorrow morning.
I'll post pics.

So I bought some non-clumping cat litter last night. Based on what I read I'll this out for at least another month or so til the kitten is a bit bigger. I bought clay, non-scented, nonclumping. It says to just scoop and change the litter out every 7-10 days. So if it doesn't clump, won't the pee just sink to the bottom and start stinking long before 7-10 days? What's the normal procedure for non-clumping?
I think you are smart to not use clumping litter right at first.

You scoop the wet clay out, just as you would if it was clumps, it just takes more passes with the utensil. Don't leave the peed up clay in the box, or yes indeed it will stink.

You will need to use something other than the scoopers they sell for clumping litter, because the spaces are too wide for clay litter. I use a slotted kitchen spoon utensil for non clumping litter like this:

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-29-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 10:48 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Re: the teeth brushing, I would start out with this rather than a brush:

Pet Dental Finger Toothbrush and Toothpaste Dog Products - GregRobert Pet Supplies

And here's a vet page that gives some good instructions about brushing, especially getting the cat used to it:

Brushing Your Cat's Teeth

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
she won't associate it with terror. she will feel safe and cozy.

I vote against collars. She will be INDOOR only I hope. We had a semi long haired cat who got his lower jaw caught in the collar when he tried to groom himself. It was horrible to see him suffer with his mouth open and his jaw plastered to his chest. If you cat is indoor she will not need a collar and if she isn't then you have more to worry about for an outside cat than a collar.
Hope you enjoy your new pet. You will be great.
I'm torn on this issue for exactly that reason. Twice I had a cat get her lower jaw trapped in the collar and panic. I've also seen the same cat get her foreleg caught in it. If we hadn't been there to wrestle her still and get it off, she could have been seriously hurt.

On the other hand, accidents happen and cats slip out a door and make it outside. For me, I had to make a judgement call based on my cats' personalities, and only collared the one who seemed likely to try and escape. I also did door training...basically leaving a door open while I stood outside of it and stomped and yelled and sprayed water whenever they came close. I felt horrible doing it, but it was effective in stopping our one escape artist from trying anything.

So yeah, this one is a judgement call...make sure if you do use a collar it's a breakaway designed to come off under pressure, but the one my cat got tangled in WAS a breakaway and didn't come off. And consider getting a microchip, though there are certain risks to those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats