U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 490,112 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going on a vaca and a friend told me I can leave my cat alone instead of spending $$ on a pet sitter.

How many days do you think I can leave my cat by himself and is it a good idea?

Thanx
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 AM

8,682 posts, read 12,474,980 times
I think that you should get a pet sitter. Its the right thing to do. You'll be happier for it.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 AM

17,189 posts, read 20,203,102 times
I think 2-3 days without you is not a problem, but beyond that, your cat needs some human contact at least every other day. We just went away for a week and had our cat looked in on every other day and he was fine. However, one year we went away and took him with us. While we were gone, our AC broke and it got to 95+ degrees in the house. I hate to think what would have happened if he was home alone.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM

2,156 posts, read 2,359,495 times
The longest I have left my cat alone is 3 nights. She was fine, however, she is an indoor/outdoor cat. It wasn't my choice, I wanted her to be an indoor cat only, we fought about that for almost a year, she won, I got tired of trying to catch her in the yard.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,635,399 times
It depends to a degree on what and how you feed your cat. Our two eat wet food almost exclusively, and they both lack any restraint when it comes to eating, so I couldn't leave them alone for more than part of a day. If your cat eats dry food and is on a free-feeding plan, and assuming you have ample fresh water out, you could likely leave him on his own for up to 48 hours. Any longer than that, and the water starts getting nasty, the litter box is even nastier, and the cat will be so affection-starved when you get home that he'll act neurotic for a while.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
We've left ours alone with enough food and water for four days/three nights and they were fine. A little miffed when we got home, but they eventually forgave us.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,113,290 times
it depends a whole lot on your cats and your environment! When William & Hannah lived at my office, they were healthy and there really wasn't much that could happen in that place. I could leave them for 3 days, I tried not to stretch it longer if I could possibly find someone to stop in and check on them. But their bowls are very large, I could pile 5 days worth of dry in it, and their water bubbler held enough water for a week (1.5gallons)! I found when I was gone for a few days, they were mostly bored and didn't eat a lot (but drank a lot) so they had plenty of food if they wanted it and still never ran out of water. The litter box was pretty full, but they managed - and I scooped as soon as I got back!

The home cats I could only leave for a weekend, more than 2 days and I had a nearby friend come in. They have autofeeders, but it never dropped the food down very well! and while her cats will paw at the blockage to make it drop down, mine don't seem to have thought of that. So she brings in the paper & mail and shuffles the feeders. The cats seldom even bothered to get off the bed and say hello!

But not all cats are the same and some need much more attention.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,697,337 times
We left ours for five days with extra food, water, and extra litterboxes once when our petsitter was unavailable. There wasn't a problem at all - food was still there, the litterboxes weren't crazy full, and she had plenty of water when we got back. But, we usually have the petsitter check on her every couple of days. We did the daily thing for a while, but it didn't seem necessary.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,865,538 times
The 2 times I actually went away with my hubby, we had a neighbor come over once a day. The first time all was ok. The second time, the day we came home, one of my cats anal glands ruptured. I'm glad my neighbor was coming over.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM

920 posts, read 856,202 times
I leave my cats alone for no more than 2 nights - Any longer than that I take them with me - We just came back yesterday from Virginia and Delaware - Many hotels/motels in the south have liberal policies on pets and some dont even charge a fee - La Quinta and Red Roof are usually free but you need to call that particular hotel to see if they are pet friendly - There are others that allow pets but do charge a fee - Each hotel/motel no matter what chain has their own policy on pets -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats