Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Is this "Double helix" water you're talking about? My holistic vet really believes in it...I actually have some in my cabinet and drink it pretty regularly. I haven't noticed any drastic changes, but I'm healthy aside from having a bad back, so I don't know how much of a change I would experience anyway...I will say it tastes much more delicious than regular spring water or distilled water, it has a sweet edge and a freshness to it once it's mixed in .
I think what you are talking about is one of those systems that makes the water alkaline and adds minerals back in. However you can do that with a drop of lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar and then add trace minerals or take them separately. I've also heard of people playing classical music next to their water to pick up the vibrations of the music to make the water more healthful.

My water filter sits on the side of my sink and it pretty much just filters out chlorine and hopefully some organic chemcials. I'd like to get a flouride filter and what I'd really like to get is a Reverse Osmosis system but that takes so much out of the water it wants to absorb whatever it comes in contact with... which means you want to make sure to store it in glass.
So it has downsides too. It also wastes a lot of water while filtering. I think I'm leaning towards just getting another counter-top unit with more filtering stages and a flouride filter. I can make it alkaline myself and take minerals and anti-oxidants myself later or just do a lot more green juicing which does boost your health and your immune system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I was wondering if there were any of those "will do anything for my cat" people out there who are also organic food people who also do juicing (with a juicer) and ever give your cats any freshly squeezed juice -- especially if your cats are elderly with health issues?
Juice?

Quote:
It seems to me that juicing, as a supplement to the regular high quality diet or as an addition to, would make a lot of sense because you do get nothing but the live nutrients. Considering many of the natural health guides for cats advise adding raw vegetables to your cat's diets,....
Only a person ignorant about cats would advise feeding them vegetables. They're OBLIGATE carnivores.

Quote:
I was thinking that juicing would be exponentially better because all the fiber which may not be so great for an obligate carnivore is removed yet your cat still gets the nutrients from the raw vegetable.
An obligate carnivore doesn't need vegetables.

Quote:
Has anyone ever done this and if so, please advise. My Norwegian Forest Cat since I adopted him, at age two or three, has been on a raw food and bones diet for 13 years. He has some health issues and I wonder if they would benefit from the live enzymes from juicing. What do you think?
What are his health issues and why hasn't your vet addressed them?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry but cats in the wild DO eat grass.
Sorry but what they do is use the grass to tangle with fur in their stomachs and intestines. It helps them pass or yack up the hair balls. The grass can be seen in their stool or hairballs and is totally undigested.

Quote:
There are not ALWAYS birds and mice available for them to kill and eat. I'm not asking so much about fruit but more about vegetables.
Indoors cats have access to no such food unless the people tolerate mice in their home.

Quote:
In fact if you look at the ingredients of any of the quality upscale cans of cat food such as Spot's Stew by Halopet you'll see a variety of vegetables (carrots, zucchini, green beans) are incorporated in with the meat.
These are CHEAP fillers. FILLERS!!!! Meat is expensive so all the cat food companies use as much cheap filler as possible. Just because you pay more doesn't mean it's a better quality food.

Quote:
But that is ok. Not everyone knows much about Natural Cat Care.
Not everyone knows what the meaning of OBLIGATE CARNIVORE means and so are easily fooled by those peddling so-called natural products for cats.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Yes. That is what I was thinking about. I read somewhere recently that strawberries and a little honey was good for cats to get rid of anemia but wheat grass would be great I would think. What about kale, spinach, parsely or carrot juice or a combination.
What's in them to get rid of enema? Liver would be a better choice. It contains a lot of iron.

I'm really trying to get more raw nutrients for myself these days ever since watching the documentary "Food Matters" which is free on YouTube and besides his raw meat I'm wondering if juice from veggies (especially since I can't let him out to eat grass which he used to love to do) I'm wondering if a teaspoon or less of juice in his food would be good.[/quote]

All the large pet chains sell wheat grass for cats. Buy it there or even grow your own from wheat seeds from any Farm store.

Don't believe everything you see on Youtube.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ. Green vegetable juice does not have a lot of sugar or any for that matter.

I used to be like you and for years believed that cats couldn't digest vegetables. It wasn't until a very knowledgeable and experienced naturopath who has been curing so called incurable diseases for 30 years pointed out to me that if cats are left alone in the wild,.....
Naturopath's are not licensed Veterinarians or feline nutritionists. You can't take them seriously.

Quote:
Feral Cats aren't always able to find animals to kill. Then what do they do? Eat nothing?
If they can't find garbage or prey, they starve to death.

Quote:
Also pets listen to their bodies and unless they've become addicted to things that are bad for them like cheap cat food, they will choose what is good and healthful for them which can include vegetables.
WRONG!!!!!!! Under natural conditions cats do not choose vegetables. They consume grass instinctively to help move hairballs along.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of peas. I was thinking of greens like dandelion Dandelion

Also not all feral cats are unhealthy. Many are FAR HEALTHIER than domesticated animals because they are eating LIVE RAW foods filled with LIFE FORCE (as opposed to dead food from bags or cans) and they aren't subject to nasty toxic filled life shortening vaccinations.
And said " nasty toxic filled life shortening vaccinations" when not overdone have saved the lives of millions of cat who would otherwise have died of the diseases they prevent. Where are you getting this crazy stuff from? Some alternative med website looking to sell you herbs and lotions and potions with nothing but testimonials to back them? Please don't fall for their sweet songs.

Quote:
See novaccine.com and look up the ingredients in your cat's vaccinations. You'll never want to have them or you get another one again!

If they die prematurely it isn't due to poor health it is due to becoming the prey of a larger animal.
Excuse me - WRONG!!!! An entire colony of feral and semi-feral cats in south Nashville TN had to be euthanized because they had FIV. I know this for a fact because they were living on my friend Rose's property. Most ferals are also infested with fleas, round and/or hookworms. Many have ear mites. You'll find abscesses on the intact males. Kittens will be suffering from URIs. Come the first real cold snap, if they can't find food, they die.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
So far the response is about what I expected. Few of you have natural feline health as an avocation.
Explain exactly what you mean by this? Feline health as an "avocation?" Of course most of us spend time learning about how to keep our cats healthy, that's why most of us avoid nautropaths with no veterinary or feline nutritional degrees from one of the veterinary schools such as Pen state or Cornell U. Anyone who advocates feeding obligate carnivores veggies (or fruit) is not to be trusted any more than someone who advocates feeding horses and cows pork chops and fried chicken.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
How do you think cats survived thousands of years before they were domesticated?
That was under natural condition in the areas they evolved in. And both you and your neutropath need to learn about wild cats. They too have their parasitic and disease problems. They've even filmed sick lions in the wild until they died. Every hear of Animal Planet or National Geographic?

Quote:
The way you make it sound all wild cats are sickly. They are the most successful long lived species on earth! They do quite fine for themselves in the wild.
That depends on where they live. The climate. Natural predators. Prey availability. You have a lot to learn. The reason so many housecats today are so sickly is because too many people feed them too much of the wrong foods such as grain/veggie/fruit loaded kibble. The cats become fat and with that, all the known health issues it causes, from heart disease to diabetes. People don't get the initial vaccinations so the cat sickens with FeLV or Panleukopenia. Or it's full of parasites both internal and external and they don't bother to "debug" them with effective products. They let them roam where they can consume any number of harmful things not found where they evolved. On and on......... in the wild they rarely live as long as 10 years. A housecat properly care for can reach the age of 20.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Here are some vets who disagree with most of you.

The Cat Grass is Always Greener, and Healthier, Indoors
I quote from that site: "A healthy diet for your cat includes a balance of highly digestible real meat, vitamin-rich vegetables, antioxidant-packed fruits, fatty acids, wholesome grains, and taurine."

Please tell us where to find the scientific double-blind studies for these claims? This is nothing but the rehash of the feed companies. When did anyone ever see a cat out in a field of grain taking down the grain heads, threshing them and eating the grain? Fruit? Come on! I'm almost 70 yrs old and have yet to see a cat in a fruit tree going after the pears or plums or cherries. There is nothing in fruits and veggies a cat can benefit from. This place has a vested interest as they sell supplements and cat food.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyII View Post
Here's another question, as there is not so much info out there for cats/animals. There is extensive research now about Electrolyzed Reduced Water (ERW) with three properties of Alkalinity, Super High Antioxidant value, and molecularly restructured to small water.
What University or Research Facility is doing this research?

Quote:
People are
experiencing nothing short of miracles drinking that kind of water.
Where can the information on the double-blind studies be found? What Health Journal's have they been written up in? I hope you're not being taken in by anonymous testimonials? I had a friend who used to write those testimonials for several alt health sites to make a small income on the side. Her health was excellent except for a little osteoarthritis.

Quote:
I've listened to accounts of the body correcting all kinds of diseases like diabetes, fibromialgia, lupus, arthritis, gout, cancer, and the list goes on. What I have not heard much about, is any super miraculous results with a steady, daily drinking habit of this water with animals. Any experiences out there?
You listened to accounts WHERE? At some University's research facility or on something like UTube? You do realize these are PAID actors don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats