U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 8,579,853 times
Default Juicing for your cats -- a little radical but--have you done it?

I was wondering if there were any of those "will do anything for my cat" people out there who are also organic food people who also do juicing (with a juicer) and ever give your cats any freshly squeezed juice -- especially if your cats are elderly with health issues?

It seems to me that juicing, as a supplement to the regular high quality diet or as an addition to, would make a lot of sense because you do get nothing but the live nutrients. Considering many of the natural health guides for cats advise adding raw vegetables to your cat's diets, I was thinking that juicing would be exponentially better because all the fiber which may not be so great for an obligate carnivore is removed yet your cat still gets the nutrients from the raw vegetable.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, please advise. My Norwegian Forest Cat since I adopted him, at age two or three, has been on a raw food and bones diet for 13 years. He has some health issues and I wonder if they would benefit from the live enzymes from juicing. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,552,918 times
Cats are carnivores and do not need vegetables or fruits, or the juice from them. Their bodies are not made to process these things and they are really of no benefit to the cat.

Juice is very high in sugar, and cats definitely do not need sugar.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,908,027 times
My siamese loved to lick my wheatgrass shooter when I was done, but she was an odd cat. For as odd as she was, she never showed any interest in other juiced items, but she did love to lick the eaten corn cobs.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 AM

My little Bridge Angel liked corn too. On the cobs or straight out of a can, she wasn't too picky about it. She liked peas and green beans and watermelon too.

But while I would always give her a taste, as I said before, they really offer no nutritional value to cats.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 AM

6,065 posts, read 8,679,086 times
juice offers no health benefits to cats if the cat is on a high quaility or balanced raw diet there should be no need to "suppliment" it and the sugar in vegatable and fuit juices isnt good for cats either....so no i never would juice anything for my cats
(however for dogs grinding vegatable matter is the better way to give them veggies/friut IF your going to feed it because dogs cant break down cellulose)

the only plant matter my cats get is kitty grass and fress catnip/catmint which they help themselves to when/if they want it because i have grass growing in a small window box and the catnip and mint right outside my door.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats are carnivores and do not need vegetables or fruits, or the juice from them. Their bodies are not made to process these things and they are really of no benefit to the cat.

Juice is very high in sugar, and cats definitely do not need sugar.
Sorry but cats in the wild DO eat grass. There are not ALWAYS birds and mice available for them to kill and eat. I'm not asking so much about fruit but more about vegetables. In fact if you look at the ingredients of any of the quality upscale cans of cat food such as Spot's Stew by Halopet you'll see a variety of vegetables (carrots, zucchini, green beans) are incorporated in with the meat.

But that is ok. Not everyone knows much about Natural Cat Care.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
My siamese loved to lick my wheatgrass shooter when I was done, but she was an odd cat. For as odd as she was, she never showed any interest in other juiced items, but she did love to lick the eaten corn cobs.
Yes. That is what I was thinking about. I read somewhere recently that strawberries and a little honey was good for cats to get rid of anemia but wheat grass would be great I would think. What about kale, spinach, parsely or carrot juice or a combination.

I'm really trying to get more raw nutrients for myself these days ever since watching the documentary "Food Matters" which is free on YouTube and besides his raw meat I'm wondering if juice from veggies (especially since I can't let him out to eat grass which he used to love to do) I'm wondering if a teaspoon or less of juice in his food would be good.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Sorry but cats in the wild DO eat grass. There are not ALWAYS birds and mice available for them to kill and eat. I'm not asking so much about fruit but more about vegetables. In fact if you look at the ingredients of any of the quality upscale cans of cat food such as Spot's Stew by Halopet you'll see a variety of vegetables (carrots, zucchini, green beans) are incorporated in with the meat.

The vegetables in those foods are added for the human's benefit, they have no nutritional value to the cats. The pet food companies add them because they know that humans will think "wow look at all the vegetables in this food, it must be really good for my cat".

Those of us who have taken the time to educate ourselves do not fall for that scam. The truth of the matter is that fruits and veggies added to cat food is just filler. More expensive, and "healthy" sounding, but it is filler. And I don't think much of Halo's spot's stew, it is very low in protein.

Yes, cats eat grass. They do not eat it for the nutritional value in it though, as cats are carnivores not herbivores.

I do not feed a raw diet, but I know a little something about feline nutrition. I am always looking to learn more, of course, as really very little still, is known about feline nutrition. I do know that cats are obligate carnivores, and this means that their bodies are not made to digest vegetables.

As carnivores, they eat the animals that have eaten the grains, seeds and other plant matter. These animals convert the plant matter into what the cat needs, and the cats get it from the meat of these animals.

The cat's body however is not designed to process these things, so the cat's body does not get any benefit from eating them (or drinking the juice of them). The cat's body needs these things to be converted into meat, first.

And as I mentioned earlier, juice is almost pure sugar, and cats do not need sugar.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM

6,065 posts, read 8,679,086 times
actually cats are OBLIGATE carnivoers and the only time they would eat veggies and fruits are in the stomachs of small prey. they eat grass to settle an upset tummy, not because they want or because it offers them nutrients, but instead because they CaNNOT digest it so it acts as fiber (just like a human taking fiber supliments)

you said your feeding a raw meat and bone diet, are you doing barf or prey model?! instead of juicing, buy some GREEN tripe. it smells aboslutly discusting, it looks and feels absolutly discusting but cats and dogs love the stuff and its a much more natural way of providing what LITTLE plant/fiberous matter that a cat needs. (tripe is the intestines, green tripe is the intestines with some partially digested plant matter included)

if you realy knew about "natural pet care" youd know that the only green matter cats eat naturally is wha tit eats if it consumes the stomach and the intestines.

just because spots stew (and other pet food manufacturors) fill thier foods with veggies and fruit, doesnt mean its natural or healthy...
just like corn in dog foods, those carrots are just filler, there there to bulk out the food so they can make more for less.

edit to add: good post catsmom.

another edit to add: i do feed partial raw right now with plans to switch to 100% prem model raw once i get my own place with room for a freezer to dedicate to my animals.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Cats in the wild eat grass as a purgative. Cats are lacking in the metabolic pathways needed to properly utilize vegetables. In the wild the veggies that cats get have already been broken down by the prey's digestive tract. Cats are obligate carnivores. They are not omnivores like us, don't try to feed them as though they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats