U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM

467 posts, read 1,238,670 times

Advertisements

My fiancee has cats, and it's the only animal I'm allergic to.

I will need to start taking a non-drowsy antihistamine on a daily basis. I'm leaning towards taking Loratadine since it's non-drowsy and in generic form without containing additional medication that I don't need (i.e. decongestant).

I am also looking into getting an air purifier that will successfully clean, and keep clean, 1000 sq. ft of living space by removing the cat dander.

Anybody out there take Loratadine? If so, how is it working for you? (Yes, I know that different meds affect different people in different ways)

Anybody out there use an air purifier to remove pet dander? What brand/model works for your living conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
the first thing id suggest is invest in a realy good vacume, my frined has 2 cats and sever cat allergies, she has the dyson pet vacume and she says its made a HUGE difference.
d also suggest keepign the cats out of the bedroom, cats are noctournal anyway so they will adapt to no sleeping on your bed, keeping them out of the sleeping space will give you a good "free" zone to take a break in.

we used ot have ionizers around here (form smarter image dont know what brand they were) they worked great BUT it turns out im hypersensitive to ozone which the ionic ones put out so now we have ot be carefull about running them...just something to be aware about with the air purifiers...beyond the ionic ones i dont knwo muhc about air purifiers.

THANK YOU for trying to find ways to manage your allergies rather than trying to get rid of the cats..
too many people use allergies as an excuse, sounds like your one of the good people out there thats trying to find a way to make this work!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
I take Loratadine, generic from Target for my allergies, works great for me, no odd side effects.

I agree with Foxy in regards to a good vacuum, I have a regular Dyson and can't believe what comes out of the carpet weekly. Giving the carpets a shampoo can also be helpful as well as brushing the cats regularly, the former being a task best done by your fiancee.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
Hi Ron, my husband is also allergic to cats but he loves them way too much to get rid of them. Since he has other allergies, he takes shots every other week which really help. Have you been tested for all allergens?

Most pet stores cary a moist towel for a kitty bath to remove the allergens from their coat. Sorry, I can't recall the name of the product at the moment but if used daily it should reduce the cat enzymes and keep your relationship on track with the financee and cat.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the first thing id suggest is invest in a realy good vacume, my frined has 2 cats and sever cat allergies, she has the dyson pet vacume and she says its made a HUGE difference.
d also suggest keepign the cats out of the bedroom, cats are noctournal anyway so they will adapt to no sleeping on your bed, keeping them out of the sleeping space will give you a good "free" zone to take a break in.

we used ot have ionizers around here (form smarter image dont know what brand they were) they worked great BUT it turns out im hypersensitive to ozone which the ionic ones put out so now we have ot be carefull about running them...just something to be aware about with the air purifiers...beyond the ionic ones i dont knwo muhc about air purifiers.

THANK YOU for trying to find ways to manage your allergies rather than trying to get rid of the cats..
too many people use allergies as an excuse, sounds like your one of the good people out there thats trying to find a way to make this work!

Thanks for the response.

She has alot of cats so we're still working on the details.

As for keeping the carpets vacuumed I have OCD so that won't be a problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I take Loratadine, generic from Target for my allergies, works great for me, no odd side effects.

I agree with Foxy in regards to a good vacuum, I have a regular Dyson and can't believe what comes out of the carpet weekly. Giving the carpets a shampoo can also be helpful as well as brushing the cats regularly, the former being a task best done by your fiancee.

Thanks for the response.

I bought a bottle of Loratadine yesterday and plan on taking one pill per day.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi Ron, my husband is also allergic to cats but he loves them way too much to get rid of them. Since he has other allergies, he takes shots every other week which really help. Have you been tested for all allergens?

Most pet stores cary a moist towel for a kitty bath to remove the allergens from their coat. Sorry, I can't recall the name of the product at the moment but if used daily it should reduce the cat enzymes and keep your relationship on track with the financee and cat.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the response.

No, I've never been tested for any allergens. I just know that I am allergic to cats. I've been around all kinds of animals all my life, and cats are the only ones that affect me.

I've researched the cat wash stuff you talked about. The one I found comes in a spray bottle. You spray a wash cloth with it then wipe down the cat. I'll have to give it a try as well.

So, between the Loratadine, frequent vacuumings, and the cat spray stuff, I should be good to go. I hope.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
A friend of ours who was very allergic to cats moved in with us for awhile. His allergies were really severe and he was popping the Benadryl like candy at first. He was napping on the couch one day and one of the cats came and laid down on his chest to nap with him. When he awakened he was covered in hives and had to leave for a few hours until the reaction died down. Yet after he had lived there awhile he stopped reacting to them so badly and no longer needed any meds. He eventually moved out and now lives in a home with several dogs and cats and apparently cats no longer bother him at all, he can even pet them now. Maybe you will get used to your fiance's cats, too.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
A friend of ours who was very allergic to cats moved in with us for awhile. His allergies were really severe and he was popping the Benadryl like candy at first. He was napping on the couch one day and one of the cats came and laid down on his chest to nap with him. When he awakened he was covered in hives and had to leave for a few hours until the reaction died down. Yet after he had lived there awhile he stopped reacting to them so badly and no longer needed any meds. He eventually moved out and now lives in a home with several dogs and cats and apparently cats no longer bother him at all, he can even pet them now. Maybe you will get used to your fiance's cats, too.

That's one of the things I've wondered about as well. If being exposed to the cats, on daily basis, would eventually build up my immunity to the allergic reaction I have to them.

She has suggested finding good homes for some of them, and just keeping the ones that she's had the longest. But, she becomes attached to cats very quickly. So, I can't ask her to do that.

I'll just need to take other steps to make sure my allergies to them are as controlled as possible.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
I'm somewhat allergic to cats and dogs and have 2 of each. When we bring a new pet into the house, my allergies flare up but with time I adjust to them. I hope it will be the same for you. If not, and if your allergies are bad, I'd recommend looking into the shots. I had severe hay fever when I was young and the shots really made a big difference. (I didn't develop the cat/dog allergy till later so that wasn't part of the mix.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats