U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,552,918 times
Default How to use Diatomaceous Earth

I know there are threads on this and I even think someone was kind enough to type out step by step instructions but I am crunched for time (and too lazy) to go looking for one post in millions.

Could whoever posted those instructions before, post them again, or anyone who uses this for environmental flea control post how they use it.

Is all DE equal in quality? I purchased this brand:

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Laborat...ecc_rvi_cart_1

For extra information, this is not for myself, but for my mother. She has asthma, so I don't know if we can safely use this inside her house? Or can we?

I was thinking just for outside, because she told me when she walks across the deck she becomes covered in flea.

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,326,301 times
I posted some very detailed information about D.E. when I was new here, I'll post the links and keep an eye on this thread for any other questions.

I'll think about your specific situation, and even though today is going to be busy I'll look for more specific info.

All D.E. is not the same quality but I think you did o.k. see links for specific info.

I would NOT use D.E. around your mother until "we" can discuss major precautions.

D.E. must be used with the same responsible approach as a chemical pesticide
IMHO because it does/and can become airborne and is IMHO serious if inhaled.

I still chose to use it BUT I didn't find the minimal precautions stated on "green" websites to be nearly cautious enough.

I'll look for my posts now, Just wanted you to know I saw your post, and add my thoughts about your specific situation first.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Cost efficient/safe flea treatments, help

Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,429,214 times
You're supposed to wear a mask while using DE anyway. I'm not sure how asthma figures into this. Perhaps not use it while she is home?

We put it in our carpet and left it overnight and vacuumed it. And I put it on the animals, careful to avoid the animal's face and nose. Using a mask is recommended. I try to get the powder under the fur to kill the fleas under there.

It takes a few days to work, but it works well and it's much cheaper than other flea preventatives. You just have to be careful with it.

I'm not sure about the asthma situation, though. So other people here could probably answer that question better than I could.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 PM

6,626 posts, read 5,009,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
For extra information, this is not for myself, but for my mother. She has asthma, so I don't know if we can safely use this inside her house? Or can we?
I would suggest you check with her Dr before using it where she may be exposed. You may also want to try and find out where the fleas are coming from and stop them at the source.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I would suggest you check with her Dr before using it where she may be exposed. You may also want to try and find out where the fleas are coming from and stop them at the source.
I think that checking with her doctor would be a wise idea. I'm personally not feeling great about the "combination" of asthma and D.E. dust. Be sure her doctor understands the nature of D.E. and it's (dust) effects on lung function.

That same thread had other ideas on flea control, I would check those out.

Thought > It might be possible to mix D.E. into heavier soil (that would keep it from becoming airborne), in the shady, OUT of the WAY places fleas hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats