Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I got in the hotel with three birds and two chihuahuas and never said aword about having any of them . There is no way I could have ever left them all behind and it would never happen and all super 8 hotels accept any pet including birds .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
Live here on the East Coast and it's looking a little scary these days! Always comes around every few years So with Irene looming and looking very unpredictable I thought I would pose the question:

If you had to evacuate what's your plan for you and your furry loved ones? Do you have special supplies for them to take or would you leave them at home? Some people would let the canines and feline family members fend it out for themselves or board them in a kennel.

Just thinking for myself with a potential Category 3 hurricane out there (maybe) coming very close to me - if not right to my door by the time it's all over what will I do. I wish the weather men would figure this all out so I could!! There is a BIG difference between South Carolina and the Outer Banks and a Cat 1 and a Cat 3.
I would save and protect my kitties before I would save an protect anything except my husband *maybe*. When I saw photos of people in New Orleans carrying their dogs and cats, I knew that would be me. Of course, I would be infinitely smarter and not let it come to that. Even if I had to leave well in advance of the storm to make certain that they were safe.

They mean the world to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Live here on the East Coast and it's looking a little scary these days! Always comes around every few years So with Irene looming and looking very unpredictable I thought I would pose the question:

If you had to evacuate what's your plan for you and your furry loved ones? Do you have special supplies for them to take or would you leave them at home? Some people would let the canines and feline family members fend it out for themselves or board them in a kennel.

Just thinking for myself with a potential Category 3 hurricane out there (maybe) coming very close to me - if not right to my door by the time it's all over what will I do. I wish the weather men would figure this all out so I could!! There is a BIG difference between South Carolina and the Outer Banks and a Cat 1 and a Cat 3.
My dogs are part of my life/family, so they'd be where I'd go. No way no how would I leave them behind.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
As I said before I would never leave them behind. The question was more as a what would everyone take and how would you make plans hypothetical.

In any case. This particular system has THANKFULLY downgraded quite a bit. We are not nearly as worried about a CAT 1 storm. Been through those before - an inconvenience sure but little else. I'm sure we will be without power for about a week - that's the usual But that alone is hardly reason to head 4hours out of town and risk taking the cats out of the house. Taking them that far away and to a hotel environment poses a risk of someone getting away - for this storm I'm not willing to take that chance.

Hope anyone else preparing will manage safely.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

156 posts, read 449,119 times
Quote:
As I said before I would never leave them behind. The question was more as a what would everyone take and how would you make plans hypothetical.

In any case. This particular system has THANKFULLY downgraded quite a bit. We are not nearly as worried about a CAT 1 storm. Been through those before - an inconvenience sure but little else. I'm sure we will be without power for about a week - that's the usual But that alone is hardly reason to head 4hours out of town and risk taking the cats out of the house. Taking them that far away and to a hotel environment poses a risk of someone getting away - for this storm I'm not willing to take that chance.

Hope anyone else preparing will manage safely.
We are having a mandatory evacuation for parts of NYC and Long Island. I am here packing for me, Piper and Jinx and they are not happy. Thankfully my parents are going to put us up until this is over, but I would rather stay home. I have packed enough food for five days and all of their other belongings. They have more than me! Hope everyone has a safe weekend and that this storm won't make too much trouble.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
We live in Hurricane country and have been evacuated 3 separate times. The last being Ike. All animals..and at the time of Ike , was 2 dogs and 5 cats, come with us. I have a big plastic bin filled with extra collars and leashes, food, bowls,and copies of their vac. records. During a hurricane, I've yet to see a hotel that turns you away with your animals. During Rita, we were in a Hilton near Dallas with the all the furkids. For Rita, we stayed at a friends house, who is highly allergic and all animals, except for a kitten who was too young to board, were boarded at a safe facility.
At the beginning of every hurricane season, I go through the boxes...I have a bin for us as well..and make sure I have plenty of everything, ie batteries, can opener, can goods etc.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
I know the news kept mentioning that the shelters in New York were accepting pets and that there were quite a few animals there.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,551 times
Fortunately we fared really well. Isabel in 2008 was MUCH worse than Irene was - thankfully We did loose power about 4:30 on Saturday and it came back early this morning (Monday). We packed up and went to my mom's house - she never lost power where she lives a bit inland from me. So hubby, me, dog, and four cats hauled up and went over there with all our stuff and what was in our freezer

In 2008 we were out of power for 6 days so we were prepared for the long haul - luckily we were back up really fast! My mom (we call her Grandma because she's the kittie's grandma and I don't have real kids lol) was happy to have my 14 week old kitten to visit - she's never had a kitten even though she has two cats of her own.

Hope everyone else has been as lucky as we seem to have been.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
We had very little storm damage here, but my work lost power and was running off a generator overnight (yet we had one of our best sales weeks this quarter- go figure). My 'grandmother' lost power and her basement and part of her lower floor flooded pretty badly. It's just strange how our area had little damage, but a few miles down the road it's so much worse.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:32 PM

55 posts, read 86,527 times
I could never leave my babies behind. If I have to evacutate, they will evacuate too. My husband and I are moving to SC this week and it was a little un-nerving to have Irene blow through ahead of us. Our thoughts and prayers have been with all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats