U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM

27 posts, read 111,837 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I am a happy parent of 2 kittens!

I adopted a my first baby 2 months ago, she was only 5 weeks old (the former owners were moving out of state) is is now 13 weeks. So it has been Phoebe and I for the past couple of months, she is a love bug, feisty and playful and loves to snuggle and lay on our laps while watching a movie.
I decided to adopt another kitten, as a play mate for Phoebe, from a friend who works at an animal clinic, her name is Sophie, and she is a love bug x's 2!! She stayed with the lady whom i adopted her from plus her 4 other cats and very large dog, so needless to say Sophie is very use to other animals. She is 17 weeks old, but a whole pound smaller than Phoebe (who will turn out to be a very large cat!)

2 nights ago I brought Sophie home, i left her in the cage/box that the clinic put her in, and let Phoebe sniff her out, the immediate reaction for Phoebe was to start hissing...so I waited a few more minutes and took Sophie out of the box, she stretched and immediately started playing around with a toy that was on the floor. Phoebe would have NONE OF IT! She jumped on the couch and watched Sophie down below, growling the whole time...

After sniffing the place out and establishing separate eating/drinking and litter boxes and where Sophie can locate hers, i started making dinner, and they were still not getting along, Phoebe would hiss and spit at Sophie every time she would get too close to play.

They ended up "sort of" playing with each other later, one would get behind the curtain and the other would pop out and make the other jump higher than coffee table, it was cute and looked like fun, until they started chasing eachother around and hissing and swatting, spitting and growling (all coming from Phoebe, who remember was my established cat).

That night, they kept getting worse and worse and were getting more aggressive with each other so, when it came time to turn off the lights and go to bed, i put my new baby in the bathroom, with her stuff (food/water/box) and took phoebe's stuff out and put it in my room and let Phoebe sleep in her normal spot which is right by my head on the bed. Sophie did not cry, and did very good all night in the bathroom.

Same thing yesterday when I got home from work (while i was away, i put Sophie in my roommates room with her "stuff" and put Phoebe's stuff back to where it always was and let Phoebe have her natural and familiar space back.

I just feel bad for keeping Sophie in the bathroom all night and then locked up in a room all day, when she's used to being with a lot more animals for company.

She wants to play with Phoebe and interact with her, but Phoebe just sits there and growls, she hisses when Sophie get's too close and won't really play with me as much unless i put Sophie in another room, so i can play with Phoebe for a little bit, i'm rubbing, giving treats and talking to Phoebe just as much, but she won't play as much because she's too busy sitting on top of the couch or in the corner of the room, watching Sophie play with strings, fake mice and plastic cups...

I'm sorry this is long, but i just want to make sure i'm doing the best thing for both of my babies, it's only been 2 nights, and I work all day during the day, and at night on Thursdays so they won't get much interaction with eachother today. I'm not comfortable leaving them alone together, because i feel it could escalate into a very bad kitten fight....

Is this normal? Is there anything else I could/can do differently or better?

When they get into a heated paw fight i just talk to Phoebe in my normal voice and try to rub her but she runs away (instead of yellling, clapping my hands) i'm trying to associate good things for Phoebe with the new kitten. Sometimes I have to break out the spray bottle with water...

Please please tell me this will get easier, i'm a nervous wreck, and just want them to get along so they will have companionship, not be alone all day locked up in a room.

Thanks soooo much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM

6,184 posts, read 12,613,486 times
It is normal and you are doing it right. They will work things out between themselves, but until they do it is better to keep the separate when you are not there to supervise. Will you have the weekend off?

Any time you are home, spend some time just sitting on the floor playing with them both to help them get used to one another.

Smell is everything to a cat and as time goes on Sophie will no longer smell strange to Phoebe.

You can help by doing scent exchanges. Use something you have worn and rub it on each kitten to exchange their scents and blend their scents.

Soon they will most likely be the best of friends.

Keep us posted!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,301,436 times
I am always amazed when I watch the animal hoarders shows that feature so many cats in one household, and they are not fighting. I've yet to introduce a new cat to any established cats where there's not some sort of immediate negative reaction that sometimes goes on for months. I think that you have a good chance of them becoming friendly as they're both very young. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,893,512 times
It takes time.. my newest addition to an established group has taken 3 weeks for them to no longer hiss at each other. I kept her in a room for the first week and brought her out when I was home. I made the room hers and put up a gate (mainly to keep the dogs out) plus I always close the room off when I leave the house. Even though I have 5 litter boxes they all seem to want to use the one in her room now. Not sure what that means.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM

6,184 posts, read 12,613,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
It takes time.. my newest addition to an established group has taken 3 weeks for them to no longer hiss at each other. I kept her in a room for the first week and brought her out when I was home. I made the room hers and put up a gate (mainly to keep the dogs out) plus I always close the room off when I leave the house. Even though I have 5 litter boxes they all seem to want to use the one in her room now. Not sure what that means.
They want to cover her scent with theirs. It's a ranking comment.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 AM

27 posts, read 111,837 times
Thank you all for the the responses!!
Last night I tried to leave my bedroom door open and let Sophie(newbie) sleep with Phoebe and I, but Phoebe would not stay with us in the bed and ended up sleeping with my roommate...that made me sad, because I don't want Phoebe to be distant.

So I'm wondering should I put Sophie back in the bathroom tonight and let Phoebe have her bed (my bed) again tonight? I don't want her to think she's being replaced, and I know as they get to know each other better, she will most likely sleep with me and Sophie. What is the right thing to do?

This morning before work, they were actually wrestling around and pouncing on each other and chasing each other through the apartment, with no hissing! =) yay!!

CatsMom21, yes I will be home Saturday day and have to work Saturday night, and besides church on Sunday, will be there all day with the babies!

Sirron, thanks for the encouragement!!

Keeper, They actually do the same thing with the litter boxes, Phoebe uses Sophie's, Sophie uses Phoebes and same thing with food and water, even though they are in separate rooms, if they "happen" to run by it they will take a pit stop and fuel up or load off! LOL Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,087,565 times
That's so good that they're playing without hissing/growling!!! Congrats!! Cooper (resident cat) did a lot of hissing and growling at first and Fritz (newbie) just wanted to play like Sophie. Eventually they'll get better at reading each other's body language. They're still getting to know each other. Sometimes Cooper hisses and/or growls even now and they've been together for 10 months! It doesn't mean things will escalate to a fight. Usually it's just when Fritz really wants to play and doesn't want to take no for an answer. But I know Cooper can handle himself and I don't get involved except to clap my hands and yell "hey!" if I hear growling or hissing. That just makes them run away from each other and ends the dispute! Unless you think they are actually going to hurt each other, I would let them figure it out.

You can still have time with just Phoebe. Cooper's favorite time is always right before bed, when I'm getting ready in the bathroom. Cooper jumps to his shelf in the closet and I pet him for a while and talk to him. And if Fritz comes in I'll switch off, petting Cooper for a while and then petting Fritz. I think it's important to give Phoebe lots of extra attention to reassure her. Maybe have your roommate play with Sophie in the living room while you give Phoebe pets in the bedroom. Phoebe will relax more after a while, give her time to adjust.

The playtime (sans hissing/growling) is the best, I love it!! It's so cute!!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 25,024 times
Default New kitten

Hi all.. I'm having a problem. Its the first day I'm hoping it will get better.. I have two kittens. One I've had for a month and the other just today. Mj my established kitten is hissing and growling. She's started to do it to me too. The new Kitten Charlie is hissing at Mj. Charlie is a rescue kitten she was found in the wild. I know its only the first night but has anyone any advice? I don't wanna have to give Charlie back.. Someone please help

Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Can you keep them in separate rooms for awhile, until they get used to each other, and re-introduce them gradually?

Has the new kitten been to the vet, etc.?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 21,803 times
Thank you all and thank you for posting this. I am going through the exact same circumstance with my two kittens and I am going to try doing what catsmom said to do. Smells are key. After I played with my new addition kitten, the one I had for just two weeks (both are sweet to me and lovable and both females) my first kitten, went into a growl and started nipping my hand along with the nails but not hard enough to break skin. I think she was to tell me her feelings towards the new addition. I am also away so I thought the companionship would be good for the other kitten. In my situation, the first kitten "Midnight" is 9 weeks old and the new kitten "Isabelle" is 13 weeks. Randy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or