U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 PM

364 posts, read 339,920 times

Advertisements

Hello Ya'll !

I took my cat Harley, a 2 year old male siamese lynx-point, to the vet last Wednesday, for an eye infection that he had once again (feline herpes related). He was last at the vet in January for his routine check up, and he's perfectly healthy (besides the herpes eye flare up once in awhile, he's got drops & antibiotics for that), in January he weight in at 12.05, the vet said that she'd like to see him at around 14 pounds for his "TALL" size. Well, last Wednesday when he was seen, he weighted in at only 11.10. And again the vet said that 14 pounds would be the "ideal" weight for him. Harley is a very picky eater (darn it!) When I give the cats (I have a soon to be 4 year old calico girl named Pumpkin) their can of wet food, they both just lick the gravey off it & leave the chunks of food behind. I've tried just about all brands & textures of food, & they both turn their noses up at most, except for cans of Friskey's (I hate it that they won't even eat the Wellness grain free canned food I spent a fortune on!) They also have some Blue Bufflo Indoor Health dry kibble which they both eat.
So my question is, How can I get Harley to put on few more pounds? He runs arounds like a typical teen aged cat & plays with Pumpkin like they always have. Or do you suppose he's just going to be a lean active boy kitty? He does look a little thin to me, but not sickly thin. (I think he looks healthy, but what do I know? ) My last cat, T, was the same breed as Harley, but he weighted in at 16 pounds most of his 19 years.
So are there some higher protine foods (canned) that I can try giving Harley? Pumpkin on the other hand, could stand to loose a few pounds, but that's whole nother story!! haha!

Oh they get a can of wet in the mornings (they share a can since we throw most of it away anyways! ) and share another can in the late afternoon after we get home form work, and then a small can of Fancy Feast before we go to bed, and the blue buffalo dry kibble is out all day. I know it's not the BEST diet for them, but it's all they will eat. so what am I suppose to do?? (Be nice! my old cat T would eat ANYTHING we'd put in front of him.)

Thanks for any advice you give!
Here's some pics of Harley, I still don't think he looks under weight, but it's hard to tell in pics I guess!

This one kind of shows his back, This is Harley the plumber! haha!

And this is Harley (on right) and Pumpkin from the top view! (best I have for now!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,809,369 times
You have beautiful cats!! A calico and a siamese?!? My favorites!! I just have to say that your vet is wrong...your cat looks fantastic. I never understand the whole your cat needs to gain X amount. A little goes a long way so even gaining five pounds makes a difference. I once had a vet admit to me that they are often encouraging cats to gain more weight because all they see each and everyday are fat house cats!

As far as the immune system thing, I would recommend NuVet. It is a food topper that you sprinkle on their food and it does wonders for immune systems. You can order it online. We have had quite a bit of luck using it with our sickly cat.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks Alley!! I think pretty darn cute myself!! haha!!
Thanks too, for the info on the NuVet for his immune system, I do put some L-Lysine on their food & they eat that! I'll look into the one you mentioned, too! Thanks!

Here's a pic where you can see Pumpkin's face better! LOL

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,176,039 times
He looks slim to me but not underweight. It's hard to tell from a couple of pictures though. If you really want to try to have him gain a little, try feeding Evo turkey flavor for the kibble portion of his diet. It's got the most calories of any dry food and it's grain free. My cats really like it.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks Subject2change!!
I'll go get some on way home from work tomorrow!!! And yeah, he's thin, but it is hard to tell from pics! Aren't siamese normally a thin cat breed to beging with?? haha! Thanks again! I appreciate the info!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Jasper is a Bengal, and just naturally slender. When I got him, he was quite undernourished, to me, so I just started feeding him Royal Canin dry food, and Fancy Feast, plus he eats salmon, chicken, whatever I have for dinner. It took several months for him to gain wieght, so I think he looks better now, but he is still slim. But I think he looks much better. I don't think cats gain wieght as quickly as undernourished dogs, it is more incremental.

Jasper is also picky about wet food, and only likes the gravy, but if I get a flavor that is fishy, and more pate type, and add water to it, to make it like a slurry mix, he will lick up enough...to actually eat it.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: edit..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the info Jasper!! I wish Harley would eat some people food, just to fatten him up a bit! haha!
I'll check out the Royal Canin, too, while I'm at the store tomorrow!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,846,209 times
He looks a perfect weight. I would question the vet's advice. A slender cat will no doubt remain healthier than an overweight cat. Let him be. As he ages and becomes a little less active he may gain a little. My Siamese flame point mix is also slender. His vet says he's a perfect weight. Our three cats get canned and some raw food and a midnight snack of a dry kibble, about 1 TBSP each.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 18,471,587 times
I think that dry food is much more fattening than wet food so if you want them to gain weight, you might try giving them a little of this everyday as a substitute for one of the cans.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,566,570 times
I think Harley is just the right weight; he looks great, as does Pumpkin. They're gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or