Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM

97 posts, read 210,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I've had her for a little under a year now. I guess I'm not attached to her in the way as some people are attached to their pets. One lady I knew used her company credit card (without asking) to pay for her dog's surgery. That is just plain nuts to me, but many of you might have done the same thing. I'm certainly not in the same category as that, though I do love my pets and take care of them as best I can.
If you can find someone who will give her the home she deserves, you should probably give her up. She should be in a home where someone cares about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
If you can find someone who will give her the home she deserves, you should probably give her up. She should be in a home where someone cares about her.
Why do you imply that I don't care about her? Just because I'm financially responsible and not retarded enough to use a company credit card to pay for my pet's operations doesn't mean I don't care about my pet.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
So what's the limit you'd spend on your pets health if they required a surgery? $500? less?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
So what's the limit you'd spend on your pets health if they required a surgery? $500? less?
Depends on the severity of the ailment and chances of recovery. $500-$800 seems reasonable with my current budget, as long as it's not a recurring issue. I provide my cat a good home. When I'm home, I play with her frequently. I provide her with toys, food, snacks, shelter and a companion. That is sufficient care and love for an ANIMAL. Consider the alternative.

People who go into significant debt for their pets have something wrong with their brain. It is not normal or doesn't reflect common sense, I'm sorry. It's not even debatable to me.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I was about to jump on Z3N1TH (your name is hard to type dude!) too until I noticed the woman he was talking about used her COMPANY'S credit card, not her own. I'd pile up debt on my own card for one of my pets, but I wouldn't steal for them.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I was about to jump on Z3N1TH (your name is hard to type dude!) too until I noticed the woman he was talking about used her COMPANY'S credit card, not her own. I'd pile up debt on my own card for one of my pets, but I wouldn't steal for them.
Yeah, she charged $5000 to her company's credit card for her pet's surgery. That is nuts. And I don't think I could spend that much of my own money on my pet. Like I said, it's just my fiscal nature. I think you got to have a screw loose, too, if you're willing to go into that much debt for an animal.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM

97 posts, read 210,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Why do you imply that I don't care about her? Just because I'm financially responsible and not retarded enough to use a company credit card to pay for my pet's operations doesn't mean I don't care about my pet.
I'm going by what you've said in this thread. And I wasn't referring to the credit card situation at all.

Quote:
I've considered declawing or (sadly) putting her up for adoption through the local shelter.
This, for the unforgivable crime of clawing your rug. Cats don't have any control over clawing, but you as an owner can train her to claw some things and not others, if you want to take the time. You've already mentioned that you don't want to cut her toes off, so you obviously know that's cruel.

Quote:
I guess I'm not attached to her in the way as some people are attached to their pets.
Quote:
I'm not home very often. And of course, I'm usually out on the weekends enjoying my free time. I think she does require attention that I can no longer provide her with my new schedule.
Why did you begin the thread talking about how you're thinking of giving her up because you don't want to make time for her, and that you don't really have a big connection to her anyway, and then you get all defensive when I say you should give her up? Do You really think she deserves this?

If you were someone who expressed how much they cared about the cat, I would say it's a good idea to get another cat so she has a companion, but I think this would just leave you with 2 cats you don't have time for, or care that much about.

Cats aren't furniture. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Last edited by cats-r-us; 09-01-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:

Why did you begin the thread talking about how you're thinking of giving her up because you don't want to make time for her, and that you don't really have a big connection to her anyway, and then you get all defensive when I say you should give her up? Do You really think she deserves this?
And really, at the end of the day the carpet scratching is not the issue. You could declaw her- but then when she starts biting because she was declawed or develops litter box issues, you'll want to rehome her because of that. Or if later in life she develops a health issue like diabetes that requires maintenance, or develops other behavioral issues.

As stated, a cat is not furniture. They are a commitment- and if you aren't committed, any behavior can become an excuse.

There is no difference between a cat you have a strong connection and one you don't expect the level of emotional investment, and the cat should not be punished for that. The responsibility remains the same. I didn't spend 15,000 dollars on JJ just because I was 'attached' to him. I did it because that's my level of commitment- that's how seriously I take this responsibility that I voluntarily took on.

If you don't want to be responsible, then don't take on responsibilities.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:

If you were someone who expressed how much they cared about the cat, I would say it's a good idea to get another cat so she has a companion, but I think this would just leave you with 2 cats you don't have time for, or care that much about.

Cats aren't furniture. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
First off, you're taking my words out of context to make your own point against me. When I said I wasn't attached to her in the way that other pet owners are to their pets, I brought forth an example as to what I'm not willing to do (such as go into major debt, or use company cash to pay for her surgeries).

She's clawing up my apartment carpet. Do you know how much that could potentially cost me? Trust me, I know property managers. They will charge me up the arse to replace their carpet that was dingy and old anyway. If you're a practical person, you realize that something like this that will cost you significant amounts of money over time is not beneficial to you in any way.

I've spent a good chunk of time with her trying to get her to understand where to scratch and where not to. She has a scratch pad. She has hanging toys. I play with her when I get home. But I work 40+ hours a week. I'm out on the weekends when I have stuff to do. I'm not a homely cat/dog person who stays at home all day tending to every single one of my animal's wants and needs.

This is all new to me. I've never had a cat who responded this way. Any cat I've ever had in my household has always been cool mannered and laid back. They never scratched up furniture or carpeting. So it's not that I don't care about my pet, but maybe it's more that this pet is not a good fit for my current lifestyle.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I didn't spend 15,000 dollars on JJ just because I was 'attached' to him. I did it because that's my level of commitment- that's how seriously I take this responsibility that I voluntarily took on.
Was that in cash? If so, great! You have more disposable funds than I do. Or was that all on credit? If so, don't lecture me on responsibility. Because if that was all on credit, what you did was just plain silly and fiscally irresponsible. We're talking about animals here, not human beings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats