Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times

Advertisements

Zenith,
It's okay to return the cat to where you got it. You and the cat are not a good fit. To get a more laid-back cat, look for the Persian appearance cross. I only loved my first cat (half Himalayan). I am very ashamed to say I had to return two cats, still regret it, and so I gave up and went back to dogs. I love all my dogs.

If you decide to work the problem thru, I may have a solution. Buy a similar carpet square, nail it to some ordinary plywood, lay it flat next to baseboard imitating where she's clawing now, put it in a location where the racket won't bother you, and put LOTS of catnip on it. Most cats cannot resist it. I do hear those roundy plastic things with the ball inside will wear a cat right down to the nub. Smile.
GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Was that in cash? If so, great! You have more disposable funds than I do. Or was that all on credit? If so, don't lecture me on responsibility. Because if that was all on credit, what you did was just plain silly and fiscally irresponsible. We're talking about animals here, not human beings!
I used both cash and credit. By making a budget, I was able to pay back the credit within six months. By using Carecredit, I paid no interest. If need be, I would have sold various electronic equipment (no one NEEDS a television or a computer) and other things. I very rarely use credit cards, so when an emergency happens and I need to, I pay them off as quickly as possible. Ideally, that's what a credit card is for...there will always be a sudden expensive that cannot be paid off in cash. The act of using one is not in itself irresponsible - not paying it off in timely manner is.

I know JJ is a cat. That's got nothing to do with it. He's a responsibility I took on willingly and with eyes wide open. That means his needs come before my wants.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
and I don't think anyone should criticize someone else for deciding to set a limit on how much debt they will take on to save one of their pets.
Like PacificFlights - I see both sides of this issue. Afterall, Z3NITH 0N3 asked for help with a difficult problem. It's not like he/she is thinking of just randomly dropping the cat on the side of the road or feeding it to a coyote. Z3NITH 0N3 is thinking out loud, mulling over the options. It takes alot to ask for help or admit that maybe a pet isn't a good choice at this point in time.

I feel that pet ownership is a lifetime responsiblity, just like being a parent. But think about it - most states have laws that allow people give up a baby at a firestation - no questions asked. Should we judge these parents for making a decision that most likely results in the best outcome for the child? Sometimes people don't walk into a parenting/pet owning situation with eyes wide open.

I have gone into debt for my pets, as they are my family. That's just me. That being said, I've gone into enough debt for one cat, leaving me with nothing left to help another two cats that became unexpectedly and seriously ill. It's a terrible situation to be in. We are lucky it wasn't me or my husband that got ill after the debt was already racked up for the cat. Then what?

I believe Z3NITH 0N3 asked for constructive advice - that's what we need to stick with.

Last edited by MissNM; 09-01-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
if her scratching is a big problem, then declaw her.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Adios, everyone. I'll see you on some other thread.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Maybe...but we certainly wouldn't steal from our companies and lose our job over it. Using a company credit card would surely guarantee that! So, the lady being referenced was a bit off her rocker for being so irresponsible. Stealing from your job is never acceptable.

But, would I hesitate to max out a credit card to help my animals? Just as much as I would to help a family member. Not helping because of money is not an option. But, we are talking about declawing which is elective surgery...it isn't life and death so would I spend that money on something so trivial? Absolutely not. I would buy scratching posts. A heck of a lot easier.

If someone doesn't feel that way, it does make sense to drive that cat back to the shelter so that it has the opportunity to live a long and healthy life with a family that cares about it. You are lucky that your cat is just scratching things and not in a life and death situation. JMHO.
I don't think anyone condone's what that woman did; I certainly don't, nor was I referring to that particular situation when I posted.

100% agree with everything else you said, great post!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I'd go into hock for Jack the Cat. He's my responsibility and I'd do what I had to. Just like for one of the children if they are still under my responsibility. I don't see what the big deal is of whether to do it or not.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Maybe you're right. I am certainly not that committed where I'd irresponsibly go into large amounts of debt to save an animal's life. Then again, I actually have financial goals of paying off debt, not accumulating more. I like financial freedom.
You are making an assumption that we are all in debt which I think you are very wrong for. I love my financial freedom too and haven't seen debt in a long time! But, if I had to go into debt to pay for a surgery, for either my cat or dogs, my husband, my family and even his family ) I would. I think that financial freedom is good, but when you need someone to be there for you...money isn't going to be it. But, your situation isn't one of those - it is just scratching and if that is the worst of your problems, I would say you are doing pretty good.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
if I had to go into debt to pay for a surgery, for either my husband, my family and even his family ) I would.
I agree with this part of your statement and, to an extent, the part about your cats and dogs. I'm not assuming you guys are in debt at all. Never once said that or implied it. OTOH, some of you have posted that you would be willing to take out exorbitants amount of money out (2nd mortgage) to pay for your pet's surgery.

I stated my financial limit on pet care and implications were made that I do not care for my pet because of this. That is how this squabbling back and forth began. I take great offense to this, because it simply is not accurate and is a blatant mischaracterization of who I am. I do not place the same value of an animal's life as I do with mine or any of my (human) family members. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Quote:
People who go into significant debt for their pets have something wrong with their brain. It is not normal or doesn't reflect common sense, I'm sorry. It's not even debatable to me.
Let me just say you probably picked the wrong forum to be a part of....

As for the rest of what I'm thinking about you right now -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats