U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,337,326 times

Advertisements

My six month old Angus is being very destructive. He has torn up our shower curtains, paper towels, toilet paper. He hauls out my son's toys from his toybox and scatters them around. He is also very very vocal.
He is just the cutest kitty, loving. He gets tons of attention, has toys. He is getting neutered in 2 weeks, hopefully that will help him settle down. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 AM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
the neuter will help a little (though it can take a few weeks after neuter for the hormones to die down) BUT everything you describe sounds just like hyper kitten syndrome (its not a medical condition lol)
as we speak my 6 month old kitten is diving around the room, diving off furniture, at windows, under the couch, grabbing whatever toy she passes along the way to fling it across the room...
there just FULL of energy at this age.

my biggest suggestion is lots of attention is not enough at this age...
make sure to engage him with his toys ALOT (playing on your own is boring) and dont let him have unsupervised acess to rooms with delicate items like a shower curtain or tp (toilet paper is fun, they bat it and it spins andspits out white stuff they can roll and kick about it and shred ect...)

hes just got alot of pent up energy.

as a side note, ragdolls like siams can be quite talkative, thats something neuter will not fix, if hes talking to you its because hes trying to communicate with you directly, consider it an honor.

good luck...between 6-8 months is "spazzy kitten" time...
he will settle down as he gets older but he may always have occasioanl "spaz attacks"

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
And your issue is???? He sounds like a normal Raggie kitten. It will be a few years before he settles down, if ever. They get into everything, even things you never even thought they would be interested in, or could get into. He might be a bit less destructive if he had a friend to hang with, another cat, or dog. Cats are like kids, taking care of two, is easier than one, because then they play with each other.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And your issue is???? He sounds like a normal Raggie kitten. It will be a few years before he settles down, if ever. They get into everything, even things you never even thought they would be interested in, or could get into. He might be a bit less destructive if he had a friend to hang with, another cat, or dog. Cats are like kids, taking care of two, is easier than one, because then they play with each other.
Oh boy! Yes they are like kids, that's for sure. I do have a yellow lab and they get along great. He tends to take over her bed even though he has his own! I just love him though even though things are being torn to threads and most of the time, I enjoy having him talk to me. He sounds like a siamese. Is that normal for a raggie to sound like one?
I am just looking for some advice on what to do with his pent up energy etc., I've had other cats and don't remember them being as destructive.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Jasper, I also wanted to follow up with I do have a 6 y.o. son who loves to play with him as well. My son is like an only child, so our kitty is like a little brother for him.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,923,780 times
Sorry, but it's so hard not to chuckle when hearing about an obviously happy--albeit destructive--cat. BTW, I love his name!!

And Foxy is right--the neuter will definitely help.

If what you are currently providing does not seem to be doing the trick, then it's time for a change. While the neuter will help, he will still be a kitten for a while, and kittens (and puppies, for that matter) are everything that you described Angus as being.

So, the question is, how to deal until he has settled down? If he is clawing up shower curtains, keep the doors closed. Getting into your son's toys? Redirect him upwards with some cat walks. Scratching too much? Get different scratching surfaces, clip his nails regularly or, even, get some Softpaws. In short, redirect, redirect, redirect. Also, provide constant and varying stimulation so that Angus doesn't feel that he has to go looking for excitement on his own.

But, most importantly, remember, as Jasper12 stated, that he is a kitten and, consequently, a good amount of destruction is to be expected. Take lots and lots of cute pics, especially when he is in derilicto, b/c you will actually miss the naughty behavior when he is older and just lies around all day like the king in his palace, LOL!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 PM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Sounds like a normal kitten to me! Keep the bathroom door closed, keep the paper towels out of reach, and play with him early and often.

Is he ruining your son's toys, or just running off with them? Because as long as he's not ripping your son's toys to shreds, I don't see anything to be upset about. If you've got any valuables you're worried about him crashing into or knocking off surfaces, put them away for a few more months.

My cats were strays; they showed up in our backyard when they were about 5 months old, and then we didn't officially adopt them for another few months (they wouldn't go away! LOL). We're kinda sad we missed their kitten-hood. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,892,753 times
Angus sounds adorable (destructiveness aside). Please post a pic of him!

The only way to deal with a kitten of this age is to play-play-play-play with him. Get a laser pointer and get him running around. The goal is to try and tire him out. Get some wand-type toys, one of those da-bird fishing pole type toys. Get a sturdy and tall sisal scratching post and make that post the 'center' of your play with him.

I had a golden retriever for my cat's first 9 months and while she was alive they used to play. A dog's tail makes a very enticing cat toy! <g>

Praise Angus every time he scratches onto the post. I hang things from the post to help entice my cat.

My cat is 2 yrs old and I still take her to her scratching post and let her sink her claws into it and then praise her each time.

Trim his claws every week. Get him used to it slowly. My cat hates when I trim her nails but I do it anyway. She still won't let me near her back claws though.

good luck and post a picture or 2!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sounds like a normal kitten to me! Keep the bathroom door closed, keep the paper towels out of reach, and play with him early and often.

Is he ruining your son's toys, or just running off with them? Because as long as he's not ripping your son's toys to shreds, I don't see anything to be upset about. If you've got any valuables you're worried about him crashing into or knocking off surfaces, put them away for a few more months.

My cats were strays; they showed up in our backyard when they were about 5 months old, and then we didn't officially adopt them for another few months (they wouldn't go away! LOL). We're kinda sad we missed their kitten-hood. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Oh he's destroying the toys. Yesterday morning, my husband said, "I want to show you something downstairs." So I follow him down, and wow wee...that little bugger had chewed apart a big nerf gun, a roll of paper towel shredded from one end of the room to the other, toys scattered, garbage tipped over. My husband had stayed up late the night before cleaning the Man Cave because we were having company the next day. My husband said, "I had already cleaned up a shredded newspaper when I first cleaned." He is so cute otherwise, and that is his saving grace.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Default My little angel.

My troublemaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Six month old Ragdoll is being destructive-001.jpg   Six month old Ragdoll is being destructive-sleeping.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats