U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,027,485 times
Default Cat (still) peeing blood - what to do?

This problem is really worrying me. I don't know whether to go for a second opinion or what.

Female cat, spayed. Age 9. Abruptly started peeing on the carpet. Peeing bloody urine on the carpet. Took her to vet. Blood work all squarely in the middle of normal range, except for RBW showed large cells, which the vet said really didn't mean anything when all else was normal. X-rayed, and no stones found. Urine specific gravity normal. Glucose normal. No crystals in urine. 2 different urine cultures negative for UTI.

So, vet says it's FUS from stress. Prescribed:
Buspar (buspirone) tablet, 5 mg twice daily
Dasuquin for cats (joint supplement) twice daily
Buprenex (buprenorphine) 0.35 ml twice daily

She's been treated for this problem (diagnosed as inflammation from stress) since Aug. 10 but the blood still hasn't totally disappeared. It seems to ebb with Buprenex, and worsen when she's off the Buprenex. How long is this supposed to take to clear up inflammation? I've had males with this problem, and with them, about 2 days of anti-inflammatory did the trick and kept them pain-free for months.

This cat is obviously feeling great while on the Buprenex. Two days after she finishes a course of it, and she's had 2 now, she has pain again and starts hiding under the bed and standing up to pee, overshooting even a tall litter box.

The blood tinges in the urine is rather a lot. It varies from the brownish color of "old blood" to bright red traces. Her urine is amber at best. It does not have an odor.

This is all really disconcerting. What else can be done? Her diet is Science Diet R/D, which the vet says he wants me to keep her on until we see if it's food-related or not.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM

830 posts, read 630,375 times
i would take her to another vet ASAP - something is very long - i would look for a vet that is part of vca they have vets that have more advanced education than your run of the mill vet but you will pay dearly - i hope they have vca vets in your area -

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,287,684 times
Poor kitty! I would take her to another vet also, it seems like it has gone on much longer than it should.

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,186,558 times
It could be a blockage or growth. Take her for a second opinion for sure. Let us know how it goes.

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM

18,939 posts, read 12,037,335 times
get to a new vet ASAP- take copies of your tests and x rays.

Unread 09-06-2011, 05:19 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,027,485 times
Okay. I have already spent $600 on this in the past 30 days. I thought they knew what they are doing. (sigh)

This cat is spayed, has always had excellent health, was adopted from a shelter at 14 weeks old and was spayed then, has had regular vaccinations and checkups, has been a total indoor cat the whole time that I've had her, has no exposure to feral cats or indoor/outdoor cats.

She is overweight by 4#, because other people in the home over-feed her.

Thanks for the input. My guess would have been infection or stones, but vet said "no" to both.

Unread 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM

5,910 posts, read 6,746,676 times
I know it's expensive, but there's something not normal going on there...
Tme for a second opinion, make sure you get copies of everything from your current vet, everything that was done, all results, your vets notes, drags scans ect, everything and take those with you.

It might also be worth looking for a teaching vet school they tend to be a litle more progressive and yet often cheaper overall because the students help the vets

Unread 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 3,373,934 times
Second opinion definitely. Is she eating the Precription r/d canned or kibble?

Get her off the r/d and on a decent grain free canned food. She doesn't need that r/d. She needs a good grain free canned diet.

PS r/d is Hills Prescription Diet, not Science Diet. Both made by Hills, but one is a grocery store food, one is a Prescription only food. But in my opinion it is not helping her.

Weight is a factor in urinary tract issues, but foods loaded with grains and sawdust are not going to help her get to a healthy weight. and the r/d has plenty of both grains and sawdust.

Unread 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,010,689 times
I'm looking into RBW and large cells, I'm gonna post what I find as I go in case I don't have time to try and make sense of it right now.

What Is RDW on a Blood Test? | eHow.com

So far I haven't found "large cells" BY Itself specifically referenced. You can get the specific test results from your vet, or maybe you can just call and get the MCV and RDW actual "levels" test results quicker.

If there are any vet etiquitte rules about getting the info, someone else will have to chime in, I only ask nice once. As far as I'm concerned I paid for them, they're mine, especially if they can't figure it out.

I agree that this vet has gone as far as he can, I would look for a university teaching hospital.

[normal MCV combined with high RDW can signify a B12 deficiency. Chronolab.com also reveals that when MCV levels are high and RDW is normal, pre-leukemia may be present. Both high MCV and high RDW may mean that a patient is experiencing folate deficiency.] ??? We need the actual results.

My thyroid was in normal range (2 markers were high normal and 1 marker was low normal) for years before I found a doctor that would treat me for hypothyroidism, even though my symptoms SCREAMED low thyroid.

In just a week I felt better. So, a result in the "normal range" is sometimes a blind spot in treatment.

Unread 09-06-2011, 04:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,010,689 times
SorryIMovedBack "Okay. I have already spent $600 on this in the past 30 days. I thought they knew what they are doing. (sigh)"

This wasn't money wasted, these tests would have needed to be done, your cat felt better for awhile, giving you more time to dig deeper, it probably just needs a fresh perspective or differential diagnosis. Exactly! Google FUS differential diagnosis!

Taking a look at what was prescribed:

Dasuquin ingredients:
Gelatin, soy protein isolate, natural chicken flavor, natural tuna flavor, gum resin, water, tea, mixed tocopherols, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, silicon dioxide, natural and artificial flavoring, sodium lauryl sulfate, FD&C Yellow #5, and FD&C Blue #1.

Why might it be prescribed, and it can only be purchased from your vet:
Nutramax Laboratories, Inc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buspar is for anxiety, research possible side-effects.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pain Control In Dogs And Cats

Never give Tylenol or Acetaminophen Products To Cats

Pain alone can actually change the results of blood chemistry analysis. Dogs and cats in pain can have elevated blood sugar. Their blood cortisol (corticosteroid) and white cell levels often increase too. Pain can also interfere with your petís immune system.

Buprenex

01 Buprenorphine (Buprenex) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What anti-inflammatory were your male cats put on?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FUS links: I didn't have time to read through all this info, maybe something will stand out.

Healthy Pet Journal - Natural, Holistic Health Care for Dogs & Cats

Feline Urological Disease, FUS FLUTD In Your Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats