Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,576 times

Advertisements

can't the cat get sick on candy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
can't the cat get sick on candy?
Yes, I would think so, too.

So it's not something you would want to leave out for a kitty unsupervised. You would let the kitty play with it while you were watching, only.

She gives them to him in the wrapper and he just plays with it like that, he can smell the peppermint through the wrapper.

Valerian is supposed to be as attractive to cats as mint or cat nip. But I have heard that it has a strong offensive (to humans) smell. So I have not tried that either.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times
My cat Baby Kitty hates the smell of Bengay and runs away. I took some mint flavored Malox and he smelled that and freaked ,out and ran. He has to smell everything I touch to pass his inspection I guess. If you don't let him he hounds you until you let him.

My 11 yr old Candy loves the smell of my wife's shoes and clothes and is always laying on top of them. She knocks laundry basket over and runs her face into used washcloths. She does not like my smell, but Baby Kitty does.

They are just goofy cats.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
Sounds like our Tazz

Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
When I use "Off Insect Repellant" Lucky goes nuts. He gets in this trance and starts sniffing me. I have to chase him away, but he keeps coming back and bugging me. Even if I shower to remove it, he still acts goofy for a while.

Don

Old 09-06-2016, 08:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I use "Off Insect Repellant" Lucky goes nuts. He gets in this trance and starts sniffing me. I have to chase him away, but he keeps coming back and bugging me. Even if I shower to remove it, he still acts goofy for a while.

Don
Same with the Icy Hot cream I've been using for joint pain on my hand. I have to let them rub on it for a while, or they'll never leave me alone.

Note to Icy Hot manufacturer- change the name to Catnip In A Tube.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I didn't realize that cats liked minty smells that much until a few months ago when I changed my toothpaste to Sensodyne Fresh Mint. I had just brushed my teeth and was lying in bed watching the television, when my big girl cat (Princess Heifer Cat) jumped onto the bed, ran up to my face, and started "French kissing' me. Seriously, the cat was trying to stick her tongue in my mouth! I shoved her off me and ran to the bathroom to wash off any traces of toothpaste and rinsed with even more water than I had before. I've switched to the whitening toothpaste since then!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Bear used to go crazy with the Ben Gay. I have stopped using the stuff so I don't know how the cats I have now would act. However, last year I put out peppermint oil to discourage mice and Elvira went CRAZY like she was on catnip. I later found out that peppermint can be toxic to cats so I took it away. Yeah, we still have mice but they help me with that.

Cat

Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 AM

1 posts, read 830 times
Yes all of the above....lol our cat goes bananas over any kind of menthol scented sports rub. And then there's the bleach issue...I swear it's a hoot. But wait there's more. I catch our cat doing the thread thing with her mouth. Whenever she finds a loose thread on the side of a pillow, she goes to town on that thread. She is a tabby with club feet. She has 4 extra claws. Her front paws have little thumbs. Its cute and all till play time. If she isn't trimmed better watch out for some slicing. Awesome thread.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevers47 View Post
Yes all of the above....lol our cat goes bananas over any kind of menthol scented sports rub. And then there's the bleach issue...I swear it's a hoot. But wait there's more. I catch our cat doing the thread thing with her mouth. Whenever she finds a loose thread on the side of a pillow, she goes to town on that thread. She is a tabby with club feet. She has 4 extra claws. Her front paws have little thumbs. Its cute and all till play time. If she isn't trimmed better watch out for some slicing. Awesome thread.
This is an old thread but YES, my cats love Ben Gay and will lick it off if allowed. Have to admit I too am drawn to the odor but haven't tasted it!

It smell reminds me of comfort and ease, which is what it provides my back pain, at least for a short while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats