Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

We have a strange cat, Audrey, who has always been a "drama queen," attention-seeking, and very jealous of my boyfriend's attention (it took her almost 4 years to accept me, because I got in the way of her and her Daddy. She's the only cat I've had who loves to be given pills, eye drops, ear drops, any kind of ointment, etc. It's like she has Muenschausen symdrome! when another one of our cats needs to be given medicine for whatever reason, she's clearly jealous--she'll whine and try to get in between my boyfriend and the cat getting the medicine.

Well, for a few years, since she's gotten old (she's 12), she has been getting skin rashes, goopy eyes, runny nose, off & on. Took her to the vet a bunch of times, which, by the way, she LOVES, and nothing was really found to be wrong. Antibiotics never helped, she never had fevers or other signs of infection, and the vet finally determined it's a immune system reaction to anxiety or other emotional problems (of course, it's Audrey).

He prescribed this liquid medicine for her, Vetri-DMG, which is really more of a supplement than a medication. It boosts the immune system, or something like that. Since taking one dropper-full a day, she has had no rashes, and her eyes are nose do seem to be less goopy.

But here's the thing: We keep the bottle of Vetri on the bathroom counter, and every morning she'll be waiting right there on the bathroom counter, whining for her medicine. She'll get a dropper-full, but then later when we go into the bathroom, she's up there whining again.

We got the brilliant idea to take an empty bottle and dropper and just fill it with water. So she'll get her one dose of Vetri per day, plus a couple of "doses" of water. Now she has my boyfriend programmed to give her a dropper-full of water every single time he goes into that bathroom or even near that bathroom. She just loves the attention of being given "medicine," whether it's real or not.

Now whenever I go near that bathroom, she yells at me, wanting me to give her a dose. I thought it was funny at first and gave some "fake medicine" to her, but now, I decided I'm not going to feed her habit.

She's hooked on fake medicine. She needs a fake intervention to get the fake monkey off her back!

Wacky girl. Anyone else with a personality-disordered, drama-prone kitty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Our Lola loved Clavamox in the liquid. She would eat anything that had Clavamox on it and would not eat certain foods unless it was on there.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I have never had a cat that liked medicine, just goes to show how every cat is an individual with their own weird quirks. I'd probably be loathe to ruin such a good setup as an older cat who happily takes whatever medicine I offered. I'd probably keep going with the "fake" meds. A little extra water certainly won't hurt her, and you could use some "doses" for something like salmon oil that would be good for her. It's how she likes to interact with you, how she feels pampered and special. I'd just humor her and giggle at her silliness.

By the way, some of her issues sound like they might be related to food allergies, have you ever tried an elimination diet or a restricted allergy-type diet? The idea is you pick a protein that the cat has never been exposed to, like venison, and feed that for a month or so and see if the symptoms improve. If they do, then there is probably something she is allergic to in her regular food. Most cat foods contain multiple protein sources, both animal and plant, so it can be difficult to really put your finger on what the problem is, but if a novel protein food works, you can just keep her on it indefinitely. Natural Balance makes a nice variety of these types of foods that don't require a prescription.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Well the extra water is certainly good for her, so why not? She sounds like a wonderful quirky girl!

L-lysine can help with the goopy eyes. The pure powder is best, 1/4 teaspoon a day.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
It's not as though it's impacting her job or her relationships with others! My only worry is how she handles time when you are away. Do pet sitters have to do this to keep her functioning properly (ie eating, drinking, litter habits)?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Only from a cat! You'll miss it when she's gone and it's a great conversation starter........:-)

Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
They just love attention.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
That's hilarious! Well, be grateful that you have a cat that likes the vet, taking medicine etc. Most of us have the opposite problem. It sounds like she just likes the attention so you could try going in the bathroom and playing with her or doing something else to distract her while giving attention. She's associating the bathroom with attention, so you could give her any kind of attention while you're in there. And why not, she's a good kitty, she deserves it

Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM

She must also sit on my lap when I'm using the toilet, be we won't discuss that

Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
L-lysine can help with the goopy eyes. The pure powder is best, 1/4 teaspoon a day.

Yeah! Another medicine we can give her! She'll be thrilled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats