U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,498 times

Advertisements

Hi
I live in a Gulf country that dont have in their culture most of the issues related to pets .
There are many stray cats and no shelters or organizations to care for them .
lately a group of expats did sort of sheltter to care for abandend pets or pets in danger but they are very limited in everything .
In my building where I live I started to feed few cats and now they are ten of them with different age group and when I feed them another five unfriendly cats and afraid from human gather and start begging for food .
my regulars I feed around twice a day , but I heard that this is not nice for them . that Im hurting them more than Im doing them good .
I tried to feed them only once but they follow me and ask for food whenver I pass throug my building gates .
pls can you help me do the best thing for them ? shall i stop feeding them ? is one time enough? will they learn to find other sources .?
The kittens ( 4) are freindly , I hold them and touch them . the cats are friendly and let me touch them as well , but I feel that they are not at ease . I wish I can neutur them all and give them shots but its very expensive to do so here . Sometimes I cant sleep thinking that they might be hungry .

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,307,259 times
Bless your heart, those kitties certainly knew where to find a friend.

Feeding them twice a day would be wonderful for them, of course they are hungry, your instincts are better than those around you.

It is a good thing to know what NOT to feed them, though.
If you have already fed some of these foods, don't panic, we all learn and as we know better, we do better.

Onions are never o.k. and I wouldn't feed garlic as it has the same harmful chemical in it.

No cow or soy milk, I understand raw goats milk is good and nutritious.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,594,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
Hi
I live in a Gulf country that dont have in their culture most of the issues related to pets .
There are many stray cats and no shelters or organizations to care for them .
lately a group of expats did sort of sheltter to care for abandend pets or pets in danger but they are very limited in everything .
In my building where I live I started to feed few cats and now they are ten of them with different age group and when I feed them another five unfriendly cats and afraid from human gather and start begging for food .
my regulars I feed around twice a day , but I heard that this is not nice for them . that Im hurting them more than Im doing them good .
I tried to feed them only once but they follow me and ask for food whenver I pass throug my building gates .
pls can you help me do the best thing for them ? shall i stop feeding them ? is one time enough? will they learn to find other sources .?
The kittens ( 4) are freindly , I hold them and touch them . the cats are friendly and let me touch them as well , but I feel that they are not at ease . I wish I can neutur them all and give them shots but its very expensive to do so here . Sometimes I cant sleep thinking that they might be hungry .

Thanks a lot
You are not hurting the cats by feeding them; whoever is telling you that does not have the best interests of these cats at heart. Such people think that feeding a stray cat creates a dependancy and that the cat will no longer search for food on its own, which is not true. You are helping these cats to survive by feeding them. Feed them as much as you can (2 times a day is fine) but make sure that it is food that is good for them.

I would try to get in touch with a rescue group outside of the country. In many cases of abuse and neglect in specific countries, there are bordering countries who are aware of the situation and have established rescue groups in their countries to do what others won't.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 7,498 times
Thanks a lot for your replies you made me feel much much better .
I feed them Cat food only wet and dry and sometimes I boil chicken..
Just seeing their eyes looking at me and follow me make me feel great and blessed . knowing that they are not hungry satisfies me a lot .
its great to hear that they can still survive without me feeding them .
I will continue and I always make sure to get enough food and give to a freind to feed them when Im away for a reason or another .
The cats look so healthy and they have names and actually two of them took their shots .

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
Thanks a lot for your replies you made me feel much much better .
I feed them Cat food only wet and dry and sometimes I boil chicken..
Just seeing their eyes looking at me and follow me make me feel great and blessed . knowing that they are not hungry satisfies me a lot .
its great to hear that they can still survive without me feeding them .
I will continue and I always make sure to get enough food and give to a freind to feed them when Im away for a reason or another .
The cats look so healthy and they have names and actually two of them took their shots .
I am glad to hear that you are not subscribing to the seeming prevailing attitudes re: stray cats. I imagine that attitude is part of the reason why there are so many and why there isn't a rescue to handle the problem. And I highly doubt that your feeding them (or everyone feeding all of the stray cats in the country) will result in an explosion in the rat and/or small critter population

Have you thought of starting a rescue?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
You are not hurting the cats by feeding them; whoever is telling you that does not have the best interests of these cats at heart.
I understand where you're coming from but, looking at it from another angle, the harm done is in keeping them healthy and thus able to reproduce at what we all know is an alarming rate.

Over a 15 year period I got my local feral cat population down to zero population growth by concentrating on the females and getting them spayed. I don't have the resources to absorb that sort of cost but solicited the help of my restaurant customers, friends and neighbors who willingly, generously and regularly chipped into the, "Anti Kitty Litter Kitty"! Local vets also helped by giving me the Humane Society reduced cost and also threw in vaccinations on that visit.

Maybe the expat group could do something along these lines as it's a far better solution to the problem than just feeding them. I was pretty amazed at how quickly things progressed and although I still ended up with a bunch of mouths to feed (once the word gets out that good free food is available they come from all over!) at least I didn't have generations of kittens adding to the mix.

Good luck, GD66! Thank you for caring and I do hope you can get the ball rolling.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I understand where you're coming from but, looking at it from another angle, the harm done is in keeping them healthy and thus able to reproduce at what we all know is an alarming rate.

Over a 15 year period I got my local feral cat population down to zero population growth by concentrating on the females and getting them spayed. I don't have the resources to absorb that sort of cost but solicited the help of my restaurant customers, friends and neighbors who willingly, generously and regularly chipped into the, "Anti Kitty Litter Kitty"! Local vets also helped by giving me the Humane Society reduced cost and also threw in vaccinations on that visit.

Maybe the expat group could do something along these lines as it's a far better solution to the problem than just feeding them. I was pretty amazed at how quickly things progressed and although I still ended up with a bunch of mouths to feed (once the word gets out that good free food is available they come from all over!) at least I didn't have generations of kittens adding to the mix.

Good luck, GD66! Thank you for caring and I do hope you can get the ball rolling.
I agree: in addition to feeding, spay and neuter is key in controlling cat populations. However, I think that feeding the cats regularly is a step in the right direction. Next, the OP can think about vaccines, then spay and neuter; all of those procedures are risky in malnourished cats and, especially, kittens. And, yes, all of this is costly, which was why I suggested/asked about the possibility for the OP to start a shelter.

But it is a great point: at some point, the OP will have to consider spay and neuter. Just feeding and vaccinating them will simply increase the population.

I will also add that my above quote that you referenced was in response to the belief that feeding stray cats creates a dependancy on humans that causes them to stop hunting, which isn't true. I don't mind the point that you made b/c it is an excellent point, but please don't take my comments out of context so that you can make it.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,193,139 times
i feed 2 strays that hang around my back patio. my back yard area is surprisingly free of most bugs (though a roach or 2, the big ones, will be seen once in a while), no mice or vermin of any sort.

they most certainly dont rely on me for food, though they will hang out on the back patio at least 2 times a day and meow til i feed em a little (a cup a feeding seems to fill them up).

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

221 posts, read 326,524 times
Your post is really touching my heart. I feel like crying. I'm going through an issue in my neighborhood in Ossining NY re: three darling spayed/neutered feral cats. They were helped by TNR (trap-neuter-return) and they aren't hurting anyone. I feel as though I'm getting a little paranoid with my landlord, as, all of a sudden as a pet owner, I'm being subjected to more "inspections" of my apartment. I'm very clean, as cat owners have reps for hoarding, and many people just don't like cats, blaming cats that are abandoned for forming colonies. I am now hearing from landlord that I'm attracting rabied raccoons by feeding these three cats. I think I may have worked out a compromise by agreeing to only leave food out for one hour daily. My family thinks I'm crazy for possibly jeopardizing my security, very hard to find landlords willing to allow pets, and apartments that I can afford. (I'm low-income.) Sometimes, though, I think I must follow my conscience and I think animals, not just humans, need to be treated humanely. Bless you! I know it isn't easy!!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM

221 posts, read 326,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I see that this post is very old, but I'd love to hear how GD66 is doing! As I said in my first post, where I live, there is a program called trap-neuter-return. Over time the pop. is greatly reduced, and the cats, being very territorial, keep out new cats from "invading". That is why I think 3 feral cats are more help than harm to my landlord, at this point. A cat advocate lady and I are trying to inform my landlord, but stereotypes and the lack of responsibility of poor pet owners, those who don't neuter/ spay and hoard cats, is really hard to live down. Cats just make people feel better. I have both physical and emotional disabilities,and my cat truly makes my day, every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or