U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM

13,517 posts, read 22,139,947 times
Default Male kitten sucking himself

Neighbor found a kitten in the road and brought him to me. While I was holding him he started to suckle his penis. I have never seen or heard of this before. I have had kitten suckle blankets and one who would suck on your ear. He looks to be about 3 months old. Any ideas on this?

He did belong to someone because he has a flea collar on plus he is not afraid of ppl. I am going to try to find who he belongs to of find him home but as of now he is happy eating some can cat food.

Post link not copyrighted material

Last edited by Keeper; 09-19-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,794,721 times
I had a cat that did that when I was in college! very embarrassing for an apt with 3 women. You hear these squeaking noises, look around, and there's the cat - doubled over on himself. He was about 5 months old or more.. I kept wanting to get him neutered, figuring that would stop it, but couldn't find a vet that would do it at that age (this was back in 1980). We finally had to get rid of the cat when some neighbors we were fighting with complained - sent him to a farm- so I have no idea what happened to him.

I've never found anyone else that encountered the same behavior! most people don't believe me. It's .. odd.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,086,331 times
It is kind of unsavory.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 9,213,749 times
I would think it's normal but not talked about much. But I don't really know. The only cats I've ever had in my house have been female.

Seems to be a little info out there suggesting excessive attention there could be related to FLUTD. So I suppose there could be some concern if there are any other FLUTD-related behaviors. If not, it may be normal adolescent behavior.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 8,388,754 times
its very normal, but i would have him vet checked.
kittens who were force weaned or weaned too quickly will often suckle excessivly also...
its very likley a comfort thing, like sucking on a thumb given the kittens young age...

but i would ask a vet just in case.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,028,034 times
Maybe the kitty was sexually abused? Perhaps shoud report it to SPCA

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,276,702 times
On Topic: no I've never heard of a kitten doing that.

Should the flea collar come off? To be safe.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM

13,517 posts, read 22,139,947 times
I did take the flea collar off and he was covered in fleas so I put a little advantage on him plus used a flea comb. He looks to be a red point siamese or colorpoint shorthair.

I think it is a comfort thing because when I pet him he purrs and purrs but then he wants to starts sucking. I just have never seen or heard of such a thing. He is really cute but I don't need another cat. He isn't afraid of the dogs but he doesn't like the other cats

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 AM

6,539 posts, read 4,822,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Neighbor found a kitten in the road and brought him to me. While I was holding him he started to suckle his penis. I have never seen or heard of this before. I have had kitten suckle blankets and one who would suck on your ear. He looks to be about 3 months old. Any ideas on this?
Before you do anything, have the vet check him out. He may have a mild infection of the sheath the penis lies in. It's probably nothing serious. It also sounds like a behavior possibly related to boredom like excessive licking or excessive tail chasing.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,794,721 times
I gotta say, our kitten was the first male cat I ever had - and that behavior scared me from wanting any other male cats! luckily I got past it as I now have 4 boys who are absolutely wonderful and never do that sort of thing! I've even mentioned it to breeder friends and they'd never heard of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats