Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago, after closing the business I had owned and run for 15 years, I exhaustedly closed the doors for the final time late at night, loaded four cats (who’d never lived anywhere else) into their carriers and drove them to their new home. It was only a few miles away but the utter peace and quiet was in complete contrast to the noisy street-front environment they’d left and, with hardly a blink of an eye or a paw’s swat, they all settled in as though moving were something they did on a regular basis. There was only one problem – one of the clan was missing.

Tilly was a rescue like the others and, at 7 years old, the second oldest of the group. She spent more time outside than the others, was a bit antisocial and had a bit of a chip on her shoulder where the cats who followed her were concerned even though she’d helped raise them.

Day after day I went back to the old place with fresh food and water and called and called her but to no avail. My ex-neighbor said he saw her in and out of his yard regularly. He’d never hurt a cat but isn’t a “cat person” so was leery about trying to grab her.

Yesterday I was about to leave after incessantly calling her – and all of a sudden she popped out of the bush! She’s now in her new home and, with intermittent breaks to eat, she’s been sleeping like a little log for over 24 hours already. Like a glue stickum she wakes if I leave the bedroom and lets out a meow to make sure I’m not going too far, gets up once in a while to pat me on the shoulder as I sit writing and purrs so hard she drools! I’m tickled pink to have the silly girl back and wanted to write this little tale just to let you know that perseverance can pay off and don't give up too easily … Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I'm glad your group is whole again!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
So sorry to hear about your business--that's rough. However, it sounds to me like you've got your priorities in order

I have had cats my entire life and rarely stress when they "get lost," as I have found that they are usually wandering about; the worst thing someone can do with a "lost" cat is to give them up for lost and to stop looking for them. You are absolutely right that patience and persistance are key to making sure that they find their way home again.

So happy to hear that you and your brood have settled in nicely!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
No worries about my business at all - the time had come and its closing was entirely my decision!

Just one more Mission to Accomplish at the old place which will be bringing over my wonderful old feral girl, "Mumsie". She's over 15 years old now. I was finally able to get her spayed 10 years ago after she'd had two litters (got them all fixed) and she was already pregnant with another bunch which I didn't know at the time but which were discovered and aborted during the spay.

All these years later, she loves me to death but has never been an inside cat. My initial plan on closing the business was to put her in a carrier and have her put to sleep. Talked to my local vet about that.

I've subsequently re-thought and now plan on picking her up and bringing her to the new place in the hopes that she'll be able to adapt to a new place as an outside feral which is so much safer than the place she's now in. Decisions, decisions.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I sympathize with your dilemma. I am caring for some ferals outside my apt building. I know there is a strong possibility that at some point someone will turn me in and the apt will demand I stop. it would most likely be suburb and many have indoor only ordinances so even buying a house wouldn't necessarily allow me to relocate them. I have had no luck in several years of looking, finding a suitable country place and rentals wouldn't allow me to bring a bunch of ferals, even if they allowd "a pet".
If I were to find some place, do I relocate some of them? Abandon them and hope for the best?
I am not making any decisions till it happens but I have this underlying anxiousness about it all the time (people of this board are probably sick of hearing about it

I imagine if you have some shed or garage that you can keep her sequestered in for a couple of months till she 'forgets' about the old place that would probably help. At least you have a fairly long relationship and she knows you. That should help too. Are there still others?
I think after getting her settled the biggest worry might be other resident cats who will fight newcomers. At 15 she might not do very well with that. If you have the option of sequestering her for awhile you maybe can scope out any ferals in your new location and TNR, might help with the fighting.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats