U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,787,503 times

Advertisements

I just noticed the past couple days that my cat Gravey has a twitch on his back, close to his tail. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does he takes off running like he is scared to death and hides. I have an appointment for him to go to the vet tomorrow morning, but does anyone know what this is or had this experience with your cat? He is up to date on his shots, is an indoor cat but occassionally goes out front and comes right back in. He is about 2 years old.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM

4,308 posts, read 4,955,513 times
Is there a chance of fleas?

Could be FHS, Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome.

There is more info available on this than there used to be, though not all of it is accurate.

Often a diet change (going to a diet grain free, containing nothing artificial, no sodium nitrates or sodium nitrites, etc) and reduction of stress is enough to control it, worse case scenario is medication such as phenobarbital. (vets often start with valium, prozac or amitriptyline, IMO phenobarbital is most effective)

PS there are a lot of you tube videos of cats with FHS, and some good info on various websites.

Let us know how Gravey does at the vet.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,424,334 times
Now I Know Why My Beautiful Rescue Kitty was Dumped at a Shelter

My new rescue cat has the same symptoms, there are some good ideas and resources in this thread.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 AM

I took Meeko to a new vet on 9/29 at 9 a.m. and she said she sees this quite often. The first thing she tries is a one time shot of Dexamethasone - 4mg/ml.

At this vet, the shot was $10, the office visit was $30. At the numerous other vets I took Saber to, (for different conditions) I had been used to paying twice that for an office visit. with no better treatment and sometimes far less efficacious results.

This is a small local practice with no fancy (MRI, ultrasound etc.) diagnostic equipment that needs to be paid for.

Meeko is much more subdued, (not drugged, or feeling poorly), I think he just doesn't hurt? as much.

He has had 1 spell since 9/29/ that was every bit as violent as before, but the spells had been increasing in number, as many as 6 or 7 a day and they were wearing him out.

Afterward he would want me to hold his paw and stroke his head between his ears.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 PM

5,070 posts, read 5,103,364 times
My calico did that;the twitching would start, she'd start licking and go running around. I read about it somewhere. Almost seemed like a "nervous disorder." When she'd get the "attack" I'd just leave her be and it subsided in 10-15 minutes. After a couple years, it just stopped.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 AM

I wanted to let you know that I consider Meekos treatment to be a success.

(Could it REALLY be this easy?)

A one time shot of Dexamethasone - 4mg/ml. I would imagine the dose is based on body weight, Meeko is approx 9 lbs.

I was asked to call the vet this Thursday to let them know how he is doing and to see if a different treatment plan is necessary. I will ask about the weight/dose ratio and if you have a question let me know what it is.

At this vet, the shot was $10, the office visit was $30.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 AM

I feel I need to clarify what I consider "success" regarding Meekos condition: Meeko is generally calm now and not overly aggressive.

He will still suddenly become aware of his "tail" nub (his tail was amputated long before I got him) but he does not seem compelled to attack it. Hopefully those cats that still have tails can be spared amputation if a single Dexamethasone shot works as well for them.

He has only had one out of control spell since the shot.

He still pulls his fur out, but I think it due to one/two things: A habit he finds calming, or direct reaction to a specific stressor.

His uncontrolled frenzied behavior has abated and he is no longer actually dangerous to be near at times.

When he begins to pull out his fur, I gently wrap a small blanket firmly around his entire body and legs (you would also need to carefully cover your cats tail) and place a gentle but firm open palm on him on his shoulders, over the blanket. This calms him down, and ... out of sight, out of mind.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Any update on Gravey?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM

4,163 posts, read 5,787,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Any update on Gravey?
The vet didn't know what it was but thought it could be Mites so he applied some type of medicine on his back that is absorbed into the skin. We watched him the next few days and he was still doing it. I am sorta upset that the vet didn't even touch his back to feel if there was anything in there. I was holding him last night and I felt an area in his lower back that seemed swollen. Now I am thinking he maybe got hurt by another cat possibly and it is turning into an absess. He is twitching more and more and trying to get to his back. I am going to a different vet tomorrow.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM

OH no poor Gravey! Yes an abscess is extremely painful and must be opened and kept open to heal, along with oral antibiotics. I'm glad you are going to another vet. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats