Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

Hissing and growling are ways of communicating, and don't always mean negative things. I have one girl, a rescued stray, who hisses and growls, and sometimes screams, at the other cats all the time. They pay no attention to it, it's just her way, they are all actually very attached to one another.

I tease her about her gutter mouth, saying she "swears like a sailor" as the saying goes. She just got in the habit of swearing all the time when she was raising a family all on her own.

At first the other cats were all quite shocked, and taken aback by her language. Then one time my Red Boy (the cat who loves all other cats) was crouched near her trying to make friends. She was dressing him down something fierce, hissing growling, spitting, it was really something. My boy just sat there staring at her in amazement.

Then, right in the middle of the harangue, she YAWNED! I laughed so hard I fell on the floor. No one ever took her seriously after that.

to the OP, please do let us know how things go, I'm sure with time she will adjust and even if she never stops swearing, your resident kitty will get used to it and win her over anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Catsmom, I laughed my butt off at your description of your "gutter mouth" girl. My girl swears like a sailor too, but I never thought of it that way before.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,981 times
lol catsmom that was funny.

Update: She is not hissing and growling as much anymore, and hey can actually sit close to each other without much drama going on. She will hiss at him from time to time but nothing like how it was at the beginning. However, Ive started noticing that she smelled and because Im fairly new to cat ownership, I didn't know what the smell was, I thought she was just farting, but then earlier she was very close to me and the smell was just really really bad so I looked and saw a poopy butt with wet poop all over her hairs on her back. She is a siberian cat so very furry with very long hairs and all the hairs were wet and poopy. She refuses to let me clean it and runs away, but now the whole house smells like poop and when she walks around, she smells really bad. Is this diarreah? I have no idea what this is and now that I think about it, Ive been smelling this on her for days but thought she was just farting

Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,970 times
you should purchase feline-a-way it reduces cat stress - i would have kept them seperated for a bit until they get used to each others smell - cats are big on smells - the new cat may want to be the dominant cat and is trying to make that known to the resident cat - all in all these things do take time and patience - good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats