Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You can run them off as long as you don't harm them. That's all.
And there are so many ways to keep a cat away from your property without harming the cat or ticking off its owner. Most of these just take a little effort.

Alley Cat Allies - How to Deter Cats

Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And there are so many ways to keep a cat away from your property without harming the cat or ticking off its owner. Most of these just take a little effort.

I must be really missing something here. I have neighbor cats roaming all over the place and never smell anything or see any feces. I'm not immune to cats smell. I can tell immediately if someone has a cat box in the house as soon as I walk in usually. So I just don't get these people who have a stinking dog which you can usually smell in a place through a closed front door crying about a cat on their porch. I think they just make this stuff up because they are dog people and angry about the disparity in leash laws.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
I must be really missing something here. I have neighbor cats roaming all over the place and never smell anything or see any feces. I'm not immune to cats smell. I can tell immediately if someone has a cat box in the house as soon as I walk in usually. So I just don't get these people who have a stinking dog which you can usually smell in a place through a closed front door crying about a cat on their porch. I think they just make this stuff up because they are dog people and angry about the disparity in leash laws.
You're lucky. Perhaps you have no un-neutered Toms in your area. If you've every had an un-neutered male cat decide to mark the bushes and plants in your yard repeatedly in the summer, you'd know. The smell will knock you down before you even step in the yard.

In addition, I don't believe that people are angry about the disparity in leash laws. I'm glad there are leash/containment laws for dogs. They do a fine job of protecting dogs from people's stupidity. I would feel the same about leash/containment laws for cats.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Thanks for the link! I'm going to try the Cat repellent sprinkled outside my fence.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
P.S.

Op, have you ever tried to ask the trapping neighbor why they are doing that? Maybe the cats are causing them a lot of problems. Some elderly are scared to walk with a cat moving about their feet, as a fall is a huge fear for them. My mom had to shuffle just to walk in her own backyard, she was terrified of falling.
Yes, she denies she's trapping cat (even though there is cat food everywhere to bring them in their garage). She claims she's trapping squirrels. thanks for your comment.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
wilson...because of the nature of cats they are ALL considered "feral" (by law, i worked for a shelter, i know the rules) they are not "owned" (even if they have a collar/tag/chip) this is why leash laws do not apply to them and also why you cannot "STEAL" someones cat...
it is 100% legal in ALL states to set traps on your property and to trap ANY animal that roams onto your property, purposely or by mistake...as long as the proper authorites handle the animal after its trapped (ie you take it t or have the ac pick it up) at which point the cats owner has however many days is legal in that area to go to AC and claim the cat back...

there is NO law that states trapping and releasing an animal to animal control is illegal.
this goes for dogs, cats ect. its a none native species it is NOT protected by law or property rights, if it goes onto someone elses property as long as it is trapped humanely and Animal control/local law enforcment handles the animal after that point (so the animal is not illegally or inhumanely euthanized or resold by the trapper and the animal is held for the state minimum amount of time at the animal control facitliy...the person trapping the cats is not stealing them any more than Animal control would be stealing a dog wandering the streets.

someone trapping cats and say re-selling them, or trapping cats and say...eating them (lord forbid) THAT would be illegal..
but trapping cats and handing them over to animal control is legal in ALL 50 states whether the cat is known to be owner or not.

i love my cats, one of which does go outside, its in her nature and despite my efforts shed never be happy as a house cat...if she wanders onto someones property and gets trapped thats MY fault for letting her wander...if she goes missing i go to AC and the shelter post flyers and let them know along with apictures because if shes brought in they legaly have to hold her for hwoever many days (here its 5), but i let her out, therefore IM at fault..

its NOT stealing for someone to trap a cat as long as the trapped animal is released to AC where the owner has a set amount of days to find and claim the animal back.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
I would much prefer to have song birds in my yard than cats.

Conservation Library

60 million birds a year minimum are killed by cats!

If you love your pet keep it inside!

We should all do our part to exterminate feral dogs and cats for the sake of our wildlife.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
wilson...because of the nature of cats they are ALL considered "feral" (by law, i worked for a shelter, i know the rules) they are not "owned" (even if they have a collar/tag/chip) this is why leash laws do not apply to them and also why you cannot "STEAL" someones cat...
it is 100% legal in ALL states to set traps on your property and to trap ANY animal that roams onto your property, purposely or by mistake...as long as the proper authorites handle the animal after its trapped (ie you take it t or have the ac pick it up) at which point the cats owner has however many days is legal in that area to go to AC and claim the cat back...

there is NO law that states trapping and releasing an animal to animal control is illegal.
this goes for dogs, cats ect. its a none native species it is NOT protected by law or property rights, if it goes onto someone elses property as long as it is trapped humanely and Animal control/local law enforcment handles the animal after that point (so the animal is not illegally or inhumanely euthanized or resold by the trapper and the animal is held for the state minimum amount of time at the animal control facitliy...the person trapping the cats is not stealing them any more than Animal control would be stealing a dog wandering the streets.

someone trapping cats and say re-selling them, or trapping cats and say...eating them (lord forbid) THAT would be illegal..
but trapping cats and handing them over to animal control is legal in ALL 50 states whether the cat is known to be owner or not.

i love my cats, one of which does go outside, its in her nature and despite my efforts shed never be happy as a house cat...if she wanders onto someones property and gets trapped thats MY fault for letting her wander...if she goes missing i go to AC and the shelter post flyers and let them know along with apictures because if shes brought in they legaly have to hold her for hwoever many days (here its 5), but i let her out, therefore IM at fault..

its NOT stealing for someone to trap a cat as long as the trapped animal is released to AC where the owner has a set amount of days to find and claim the animal back.
That's completely incorrect. So wrong I don't know where to start. you think your cats are not your property that can be stolen by others? Where in the heck would you get a silly idea like that?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
That's completely incorrect. So wrong I don't know where to start. you think your cats are not your property that can be stolen by others? Where in the heck would you get a silly idea like that?
If I leave my phone at someone's house and they refuse to give it back, that is stealing. It is my fault I left it there, but I know where it is and so does the guy who lives in the house.

However, if I leave my phone and a little kid picks it up and throws it in your yard - I don't know where it is. If I don't have my name on it, then you don't know whose it is. If you put an ad in the paper or take it to the police department, then you are trying to find the owner.

If my cat is in your yard without tags, I don't know where my cat is and you don't know it's my cat. If you put an ad in the paper or call animal control, then I should be able to get my cat back - that is not stealing., that is returning a lost item.

If you do anything else with the cat or the phone, then that is criminal.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
If I leave my phone at someone's house and they refuse to give it back, that is stealing. It is my fault I left it there, but I know where it is and so does the guy who lives in the house.

However, if I leave my phone and a little kid picks it up and throws it in your yard - I don't know where it is. If I don't have my name on it, then you don't know whose it is. If you put an ad in the paper or take it to the police department, then you are trying to find the owner.

If my cat is in your yard without tags, I don't know where my cat is and you don't know it's my cat. If you put an ad in the paper or call animal control, then I should be able to get my cat back - that is not stealing., that is returning a lost item.

If you do anything else with the cat or the phone, then that is criminal.

Yes. And, the evolution of this whole trapping thing is about these cat haters who really want to trap their neighbor's cat pretending that they are operating under some theory of trapping feral cats. These people are always big talkers until an officer with a gun and a badge is standing on the porch asking "so you had no idea that the orange tabby you trapped and dumped at the shelter belonged to your neighbor, right?" That's the point when they will rethink what was a very stupid idea of trying to take someone's valuable cat in what is the commission of felony theft.

" . . . Uh, er, I mean . . . I might have seen that cat around here before. . . Oh, yea, maybe I did call to complain a couple of times . . " Next sentence better be: "I'm sorry, I didn't know that I could not dump the cat at the shelter if I knew who it belonged to . . . " Please don't charge me with a felony . . boo hoo hoo."

Here in Hamilton County, Ohio, if I sign the affidavit alleging a theft and a crime is described in the affidavit, they will make the felony charge. that means hand cuffs and a mug shot and a trip to the grand jury. Sure, grand jurors might choose not to indict a person on a felony who trapped their neighbors cat and dumped it at a shelter, but i wouldn't count on it. It would be a very dangerous experiment with the criminal justice system. Also, under Ohio law, I can't be sued successfully if the statements made in the affidavit are true even if the felony charges are dismissed. Ohio, like 44 other states recognizes the absolute privilege for cooperation in criminal cases. So good luck to you brave souls who want to steal someone's cat.

Last edited by Wilson513; 10-05-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats