U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-22-2007, 05:26 AM

1,738 posts, read 5,082,834 times
Default cat can't keep food down

I have a 8 year old tabby male named Bailey.

He's sweet as can be and gets along great w/ our pup.

He throws up randomly. He can go 5-10 days w/ no puke and then puke 3-5 times a day for a few days. We've gone to the vet and they've given up laxatone ....didn't work. We switched his food ....didnt work(tried hills, iams sensative stomach, and a cheap brand) We staggered his food ....didn't work. The vet said all his systems are working fine and we might just have a high energy freak of a cat.
....well, I'm tired of cleaning up vomit every other day
and I feel bad for our cat.

Any ideas?

my next step is yogurt. It fight bacteria and is calming to the stomach.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM

2,578 posts, read 5,088,166 times
Been living with that for 15 years. It could be eating too much, sensitive stomach, etc.

Best thing we did was buy dye free food (IAMS and the premium brands are more likely). No cheap stuff since it is likely to stain and be hard to clean up. Nothing stains with dye free and clean up is easy. To make sure he gets enough to eat since he is older, he is also on a regimien of baby food chicken which he keeps down. Make me think it is eating too much and too fast because he will vomit undigested food right after eating.

We love him and I just feel sorry for him but that is the way he is built. PS: we adopted him from our vet.

Unread 08-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Make me think it is eating too much and too fast because he will vomit undigested food right after eating.
that's us!

I was thinking about this on our walk(me and doggie) and I remember seeing on the news years ago that cat litter can upset their stomachs.
Maybe I'll try a different brand and see what happens.
....he hasn't thrown up since I mixed yogurt in his food today ...we will see!

Glad I'm not the only one!

He started throwing up when we had two cats. One was very pushy and Bailey would pig out so he could get food. But now, even when we give him small amounts he still throws up.

thanks for the info!

Unread 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,377,734 times
Is he now a single pet?

Unread 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM

no! We have a 2 year old dog, but he has been taught to leave the cat alone.

His food is on a railing and his litter box is in a "no-dog zone" of the house.

He has tons of room to himself and snuggles the dog often. We only got a dog after 4-6 months of waiting for his vomitting to come to an end. Since it didn't we figured a dog wouldn't hurt and it had nothing to do w/ other animals.

Unread 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,311,255 times
My cat is doing the same thing. I have taken her to the vet only to get a clean bill of health. What is up??? Her food is also undigested, but lately, it is liquid and greenish yellow.

Switched to different formulas of food, but have not tried baby food yet. Thanks for that tip. BTW, my cat is 18 years old. No other cats, one dog who is too lazy to bother her. I'm at my wits end.

Unread 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,656,163 times
Default some possible ideas...

whats in the vomit? is it undigested dry food? grass? fur?

you said he is high energy.. does he throw up after running around?

I had a neighbor who put her cat on a diet (required by the vet) of low calorie dry cat food. She used to give him only one flavor of one brand of dry food and half a can of wet food *as a treat* (#$%^). When she started the diet, she cut out the half a can and just gave dry low cal food. The poor cat was so hungry that he wolfed his food down as soon as she gave it to him and threw up shortly after. This went on and on until she went on her honeymoon for 3 weeks and I watched her cat for her.

I gave him 4-5 small cans of wet food a day which was the correct calorie/weight ratio and the vomiting stopped within a day, as soon as he learned to pace himself because he wasn't worried that it would be finished if he didn't eat it all.

The happy ending is that she continued to give him wet food only when she came back and he had lost weight on the wet food (since it has no carbs).

I just reread your post and noticed you have a puppy. Does the puppy have access to your cats food if he doesnt finish? Try putting his dish where the dog can't ever get to it.

Also, be sure to wash the food bowl out and not just refill it with dry food (as I used to do) because their saliva and rancid fats make it really nasty and full of bacteria even though you can't see it.

Unread 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM

2,524 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I have a 8 year old tabby male named Bailey.

He's sweet as can be and gets along great w/ our pup.

He throws up randomly. He can go 5-10 days w/ no puke and then puke 3-5 times a day for a few days. We've gone to the vet and they've given up laxatone ....didn't work. We switched his food ....didnt work(tried hills, iams sensative stomach, and a cheap brand) We staggered his food ....didn't work. The vet said all his systems are working fine and we might just have a high energy freak of a cat.
....well, I'm tired of cleaning up vomit every other day
and I feel bad for our cat.

Any ideas?

my next step is yogurt. It fight bacteria and is calming to the stomach.

Thanks
Cats throw up all the time. Is your cat throwing up his food or is he throwing up bile? Some cats have to have food often otherwise the strong acids build up in their stomach and they throw up. My cat eats grass so he can throw up bile on a daily basis. My other cat used to throw up her food all the time. She was eating loads of dry food and it just expanded in her stomach and made her vomit. I don't feed dry food anymore. I feed my cat raw hommade food or I use Wellness canned with some water mixed in. My cat never throws up his food now.

greenie

Unread 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Is your cat throwing up his food or is he throwing up bile? Some cats have to have food often otherwise the strong acids build up in their stomach and they throw up. My cat eats grass so he can throw up bile on a daily basis. My other cat used to throw up her food all the time. She was eating loads of dry food and it just expanded in her stomach and made her vomit. I don't feed dry food anymore. I feed my cat raw hommade food or I use Wellness canned with some water mixed in. My cat never throws up his food now.

greenie

panks!
he's throwing up his food. ...undigested!
he throws us about 3o minutes after eating.
I've never given him wet food, I heard it was bad for him, but it can't be worse then him throwing up.
The cats food is on a railing that separates the living and dinning ...the pup can't get it!
ohhh, now I'm worried my ratios are off. He's a 17 pound cat. He's a little over weight, he should be 15 pounds(water weight hehe). I feed him a cup to a cup and a half of food a day of dry food(but not after tonight...we are gonna try wet food)
I'll dry wet food. So the dry food expands like rice? I'll try wet food.
Thanks so much!
I feel so much better about this.
I'm going out to buy wet food tonight!

I have it that hes unhappy and even more I HATE CLEANING UP PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 08-22-2007, 07:07 PM

378 posts, read 1,656,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
panks!
I've never given him wet food, I heard it was bad for him,
If I wrote down what I think of people who give that kind of advice, I'd get kicked off the forum. Suffice it to say, I hope there is a special hell for people who tell owners to give a pet that is an obligate carnivore (it must eat meat, or it will get sick and die) that they should give dry food which is 80-90% carbs. Can you imagine eating twinkies every day for every meal for the rest of your life? Plus the fact that all dry food is sprayed with fats to make it palatable, and the fats immediately start to oxidize and turn rancid when they are exposed to air (including inside the bag), so by the time you buy it in the store its always rancid which is very bad for their health.

I'm thrilled that you are switching to wet. Just remember that it will take a few days for your cat to adjust. It might be best to give him a teaspoon every15 mins if you can so he won't gorge himself and you might want to try a room with a closed door where its totally peaceful and away from the puppy. Like a fine dining experience at a restaurant rather than fast food!

Also read the back of the can to see how much is needed for his weight. A small can of fancy food is only for a 3 lb cat! So yours should eat 5 1/2 cans . I know it sounds shocking, but remember there is a lof of water in meat. Since the cost can really add up for cans, you might want to try giving him home made cat food. Believe it or not its cheaper, even if you give expensive ingredients! I can buy 6 frozen shrimp which feeds my small cat for 1 day for 50 cents and a can of fancy feast costs 75 cents if I don't get it on sale. Just vary the type of meat you use so he gets a well balanced diet. Egg whites are also excellent for cats. Whatever you do please DON'T give him anything with onions or garlic. Its lethal for cats.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

BTW, if you want your dog to be happier and healthier too, feed him canned cat food also. Any brand is fine. Since they have to put more meat in canned cat food than dog food, its also better for dogs. They can get away with less meat in canned dog food because dogs can eat more carbs than cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats