Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 02:18 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times

Advertisements

I bought a can each to try of grain-free Nature's Variety Instinct -- Chicken, Venison, Duck & Rabbit -- flavored cans. But the Rabbit cans were the DOG food, 13 oz can -- NOT the 5.5 oz cat food cans (all other flavors are 5.5 oz CAT food cans)? This due to not being able find ANY of the Rabbit in cans as they aren't easy to find in stores right now due to the CAT food demand, I guess. So, the girl said "I can use DOG food Rabbit, as it is same formula used in Nature's Instinct grain-free CAT food Rabbit cans". Is this true?

Anyone comfy feeding DOG food cans (albeit according to her it is the SAME recipe - including Taurine) to CATS, in this larger DOG food 13 oz cans?

Also, as far as dry kibble, she claims Oriijen is better than kibble from Nature's Instinct? Anyone agree? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,642 times
I can't really say without re-visiting the issue but I do remember looking at the Natures Variety kibble awhile back and choosing not to feed it and selecting the orijen. I can't say why as it was quite some time ago. I can look again a bit later and give you some comments that are strictly my own opinion.

As for feeding the cat the dog food - to each his own. I personally do not. Some people say no harm no foul but there are different variations for a good reason. Just because the list on the can is the same does not meant they are the exact same proportions etc. Though a few cans isn't going to do any harm I would not stick to this as a way of a permanent diet.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Regardless of what a store employee says, I would not feed a cat food labeled for dogs. NV does say their dog and cat recipes are the same. However, since dogs and cats have extremely different nutritional needs, I find this practice very disturbing.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
Thx ladies & as it stands I'll keep Weruva/Soulistic combo til I find better. Both Nature's Instinct & Orijen are not going to do any better than just using Wervua at this point, I guess.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
FWIW, I would chose Orijen of the two kibbles. I've fed both but the Nature's Variety Instinct really didn't go over too well here, and my cat typically eats just about any dry crap I put down for her.

I don't like the idea of anything labeled dog food, no matter how much someone tells me it's the same formula. It could well be, but it's still odd.

And no I don't think it's any better than Weruva. Although it's fine, even preferable it seems, to introduce variety including raw foods, etc. And even the best dry food is not really preferable anyway if you can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats