Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 AM

836 posts, read 3,369,454 times

Advertisements

Ok So a Kitten found us.. she was found in our garage..she is only 7weeks old. I took her to the vet right when we found her cause she seem to have a cold she has an upper respiratory infection and they put her on antibiotics..after being on the meds for a week the mess in her chest broke up and moved into her nasal cavities she couldn't breathe so we rushed her back to the vet they gave her another shot and told us to up her antibiotics. And of course the Vet also says they really can't do anymore but let this run its course.grrrrr
We read online- to put her in the bathroom while were in the shower the steam can help open her up.. so we did this and she finally eat her food and drank water..which was good cause we couldn't get her to eat or drink. I also tried giving her some warm chicken broth she drank a lil but wasn't really interested in it thought about maybe trying that again. Were also running a vaporizer steamer but I duno if its helping. She still sounds and feels terrible but has been up moving around..of course she seems to like sitting on my chest or hubbys..lol
Is there something else we can do to help her through this besides what were already doing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Thank you for saving the kitten after being Chosen. Yoou are real Heroes.

You can put her on l-lysine that will help boost her immune system. Use the pure powder and just mix it into her food.

Feed her wet food, the smelliest you can find. Warm it up slightly to make it even smellier. Cats function by sense of smell. She can't smell her food so she has not interest in it.

The medications also may be affecting her appetite so she really needs smelly wet food!

Please keep us posted on your new baby! (and congratulations on being Chosen)

Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thank you for saving the kitten after being Chosen. Yoou are real Heroes.

You can put her on l-lysine that will help boost her immune system. Use the pure powder and just mix it into her food.

Feed her wet food, the smelliest you can find. Warm it up slightly to make it even smellier. Cats function by sense of smell. She can't smell her food so she has not interest in it.

The medications also may be affecting her appetite so she really needs smelly wet food!

Please keep us posted on your new baby! (and congratulations on being Chosen)

Awww Thanks Yea there was no way I could just let her go her way, I knew with her being sick she would have died. And besides she is toooo cute! Guess someone just dumped her out.
I will try the l-lysine.. yup she has been on wet foods but must not be smelly enough.. I will see what else I can find today for her that is stinky..lol
Thanks for the advise and I'll keep ya posted.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
Was she tested for other diseases?

I'm not sure to get an animal to take food with medications if they are refusing to eat?

My neighbor did the same thing but after treating the stray for weeks, the vet finally tested and said it was one of those forms of fvl or something like that. Sorry, it has been a few yeas now and can't recall the exact letters. The cat appeared to have a cold on the surface that started with a runny nose, then her eyes and finally into her chest and weight loss. We wished the vet had tested sooner as she was put through several months of medications which really did no good but to prolong her suffering.

In our condo complex people will often dump their sick animals thinking the chances of someone picking them up will be better but all they do is pass off vet bills to kind hearted people. We have taken in several but it seems to be the same story; young animal with incurable disease or older cats with kidney failure -several of those. Even a few pet rabbits have suddenly appeared.

Bless you for taking care of kitty but please be sure she has been well tested before your heart really gets broken and she suffers needlessly.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM

575 posts, read 1,983,718 times
I agree with the other advice given and it's pretty much what I would have passed on as well. Even if it's not what you intend to keep her on - put her on some "extra fragrant" wet food for now" and warming it up makes it more appealing. You can try to give her some plain baby food. Just the turkey or chicken (or beef) entree plain regular kind. Nothing fancy with veggies etc. All that's in it is pretty much chicken (for example) and cornstarch.

You also should have your new little one tested. Just to know what you are dealing with. Have her tested for feline aids and leukemia and also have a fe-bart test run. It's for the Bartonella virus an isn't generally run however about 1/3 of the feral/stray cat population carry this and I think that more people should be educated on having this test done on any cat you don't know a history on.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Ok So a Kitten found us..
Is there something else we can do to help her through this besides what were already doing??
There isn't much you can do for a virus but to let her immune system fight it off. Keep her as stress free as possible and feed her a good brand of canned cat food. Most kittens survive these infections. When I got Phaedra from the shelter at 6 weeks of age, already cleared for FIV amd FeLV, she was very sick with an URI. It took her several weeks to get over it.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There isn't much you can do for a virus but to let her immune system fight it off. Keep her as stress free as possible and feed her a good brand of canned cat food. Most kittens survive these infections. When I got Phaedra from the shelter at 6 weeks of age, already cleared for FIV amd FeLV, she was very sick with an URI. It took her several weeks to get over it.

That's where the l-lysine comes in. It helps boost the immune system against viral respiratory infections, especially, but not limited to, feline herpes.

Excellent point about keeping stress at a minimum.

Please do keep us updated on the little baby.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,422,243 times
If you have antibiotics and you're doing all the stuff with the shower steam and lysine, you've probably covered all the basics. When I brought my kitten home from the HS 4 years ago she had a dreadful URI with a cough that sounded like a seal barking. Initially the nice lady vet didn't want to put her on anything, but then my little angel sneezed gigantic gobs of yellow mucus all over the vet and the counter and the examining room wall so she relented. It takes a while to get them healthy but hang in there.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
If you have antibiotics and you're doing all the stuff with the shower steam and lysine, you've probably covered all the basics. When I brought my kitten home from the HS 4 years ago she had a dreadful URI with a cough that sounded like a seal barking. Initially the nice lady vet didn't want to put her on anything, but then my little angel sneezed gigantic gobs of yellow mucus all over the vet and the counter and the examining room wall so she relented. It takes a while to get them healthy but hang in there.
Yup thats exactly what she has been doing is sneezing gigantic gobs of yellow mucus all over...and the barking part to..(she acts like a real human baby with all the groans and grunts..lol) this is why they put her on antibiotics for 2-3weeks depending on how fast she gets over this cold. But the good thing is She is feeling much better today.. playing a lil, back to her normal eating and drinking water. I'll continue to give her the Lysine and steam from shower until she is completely better..and of course she has to finish the antibiotics as well..

To everyone who ask if I had her tested for feline aids and leukemia.. No not yet.. Dr said we can't test her for those or give her any shots until she is 100% better. I would think if she had either of these diseases she wouldn't be getting better she would go down hill fast so the chances of her having them are slim to none. but I'll still get her tested for them anyways. I know all to well what its like to have a cat with these diseases..can be heartbreaking.

Thanks for all the advises.. Ill keep ya posted of her full recovery..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,984,459 times
Thank you for looking after that cat. I adopted a cat from a shelter. It was only when we were checking out that they mentioned he had been returned before because he was sick. He's been a terrific cat for 6 years and it makes me almost cry when I think someone didn't want him because of his illness. He was just here kneading my stomach (twice).

I am glad there are people like you who are willing to put in the effort to take care of sick animals. Good luck with your kitten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats