U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,005,858 times

Advertisements

So, I moved into a new apartment complex about 6 weeks ago and there is this little black and white cat that hangs around my apartment.

The cat has become very friendly towards me and usually comes running out meowing until I pet her when I leave for work in the morning and come home at night.

The cat wears no collar and is outside 100% of the time from what I can tell.

I'd give the little gal a home except I'm not sure if it's my downstairs neighbor's cat or not. Initially, I thought it was because they have a food and water bowl outside for her. But I noticed they have a cat kept indoors full-time so I'm beginning to think the cat hanging around is just a stray they have been feeding.

My question, do you think it's rude for me to ask them whether the cat is theirs or a stray? I don't want it to be seen as me questioning the way they care for their pet (with her being outside 100% of the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:59 PM

960 posts, read 1,943,736 times
No, I don't think it's rude. They're probably feeding it because they feel sorry for it. They would probably be glad if you took it.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM

32,416 posts, read 59,921,822 times
I don't think it's rude at all.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,640,847 times
we had the same situation with Henry. He was very friendly and would come running up to us, we saw him outside at all hours.. no idea where he lived! he had no collar... I checked with the neighbors on either side and one had seen him out last June - with a collar for a little while. The other had noticed that no matter what time she came home (and she works nights) he was around, and he was around during the day as well - so it wasn't a case of someone 'putting the cat out at night'. each of us thought he might belong to one of the others of us! we were all putting out a little food and water for him. He wasn't in bad shape (not with at leas 3 of us feeding him) but he was small. But no one knew where he lived or if he was abandoned. We did notice he had been declawed, which made us worry about him just being someone's outdoor cat. So we let him stay outside... until Jan when he started limping and non-weightbearing on his right-front paw.

then we had to take him to the vet, since we felt any owner that let him run outside for more than a day with an injury certainly didn't deserve him (no matter what our opinions of letting a declawed cat be an outdoor cat. I've seen, even if I don't like it). he had fractured the growth plate. he also wasn't microchipped. so.. we took him in - and I let the neighbors know I had him. No one put up any notices about a missing cat, no news around the neighborhood about a missing cat.. so, now he's healed, chipped and no longer "missing"!

the moral of this, is go ahead and ask around! just don't be accusatory in your asking, and no one would be offended. and if there's no sign of an owner, welcome him in before he hurts himself.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,005,858 times
Alright, well I checked with my neighbor and you guys were right, he was hoping someone would take the little gal in. He's been feeding her but can't bring her inside because their cat acted too jealous when they tried it before.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:55 PM

93 posts, read 186,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Alright, well I checked with my neighbor and you guys were right, he was hoping someone would take the little gal in. He's been feeding her but can't bring her inside because their cat acted too jealous when they tried it before.
Thank you for giving this cat a home!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,696,359 times
Good for your neighbor for feeding her and good for you for wanting to take her in.

Poor little thing.

It is unlikely she's been spayed, so please do that asap. If money is an issue, contact your local humane society and see if they're offering any spay/neuter clinics. If not, there are a number of groups (some dedicated only to stray and feral cats) across the country that will help you pay for her surgery. Some work with specific vets, so you can also call around to vets in your area and see if they have the information.

Please give your new kitty a hug for me - she sounds like a sweetheart.

(I love my cats, each and every one of them)

Old 10-15-2011, 04:05 PM

32,416 posts, read 59,921,822 times
Hooray for all of you! Enjoy your new housemate.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,999,820 times
I feel that any cat left to roam outside is fair game for bringing in. An apartment complex is a particularly dangerous place for an outdoor cat.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:29 AM

6,199 posts, read 12,662,176 times
Well done on the rescue and congratulations to you both on finding one another! What's her name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats