U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 40,035 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I was hoping someone could help me out. My 10 week old kitten has started to vomit his food and I don't know what is wrong. He would eat his food and fall asleep a little while after eating. Then about 2 hours later he would wake up and go to his litter box and I would hear his gagging and then the food would just come right out. I feel so awful because he looks like he's in pain when he does it. The thing is he does still keep himself hydrated after he vomits and he goes back to sleep afterwards too. I'm trying to give him a little bit of food so he still has some energy. I don't really have much money to go to the vet and would like to understand why this is going on. I'm really worried.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
A ten week old kitten will dehydrate and go hypoglycemic very quickly with so much vomiting. He needs to go to the vet, please get him medical care now. Vet bills are part of pet ownership.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,493,004 times
It could be so many things, there is no way we can help you with message board posts. You have to take him to a vet asap. If you can't afford it, try talking to the vet. Some of them allow payment plans. Many of them have applications for CareCredit right in the lobby. If it's still not possible, I hate to say it, but you should consider relinquishing him since you can not afford his basic medical care.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,275,769 times
look for a clinic they are much more affordable than animal hospitals. Also make payment arrangements if you have to. I'm sure something can be worked out to your advantage and to help your helpless little kitten. Try the vet for the animal shelter in your area if you have one they too can sometimes be cheaper than a regular vet or an vet in animal hospital.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 PM

575 posts, read 1,489,893 times
This is exactly what my Makari did when he had eaten a toy. The first time he had eaten a relatively small toy, the second time he ate a pretty large one - about 1 inch in diameter. The first time he would still eat small meals then he would vomit, and he would wake from sleeping and just vomit up liquid. The second time he got really lethargic, and quit eating. He would nibble at food the first few days (we figure) after he ate the toy but then he stopped eating almost completely.

You should have him checked out. At least you will be under the guidance of a veterinarian who can help monitor your little guy. My vet didn't need to do any x-rays he was able to listen to his intestines and determine that nothing was passed into his lower bowels from his stomach. Mak was well hydrated and we were just able to wait him out. He told us if he hadn't turned around in a week or so we would run other tests - because we were not sure IF he had eaten a toy. Of course he puked it up and all was well. I would have never let him go a week of not eating a feeling so bad if my vet wasn't aware of it though.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 79,981 times
Not freak out. I foster abandoned kittens till they are ready for adoption. A little vomiting is normal at 10 weeks. It can be caused by changing the kittens food or over eating, sometimes even stress. normally, kittens can regulate their own body temp at 6 weeks, but make sure your kitten is warm. the biggest thing to worry about is dehydration. Check your kitten's tongue. If it is very pale, that is a warning sign for dehydration. If its white, she needs to be in a vets office yesterday . If you plan on taking good care of that kitten- she will need shots every few weeks till she is three months. For right now, if you have a warm kitten with a nice pink tongue you should be fine. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 79,981 times
Don't freak out. I foster abandoned kittens till they are ready for adopton. A little vomiting is normal at 10 weeks. It can be caused by changing the kittens food or over eating, sometimes even stress. normally, kittens can regulate their own body temp at 6 weeks, but make sure your kitten is warm. the biggest thing to worry about is dehydration. Check your kitten's tongue. If it is very pale, that is a warning sign for dehydration. If its white, she needs to be in a vets office yesterday . If you plan on taking good care of that kitten- she will need shots every few weeks till she is three months. For right now, if you have a warm kitten with a nice pink tongue you should be fine. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,963,543 times
I agree with the other posters. Take the cat to the vet. Our 6 year old cat was doing this and became very dehydrated. It turned out to be acid reflux (or the feline equivalent) and was easily treated, but it could be serious. You won't know until you have him checked out.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,275,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by only0nepinay View Post
Hey everyone I was hoping someone could help me out. My 10 week old kitten has started to vomit his food and I don't know what is wrong. He would eat his food and fall asleep a little while after eating. Then about 2 hours later he would wake up and go to his litter box and I would hear his gagging and then the food would just come right out. I feel so awful because he looks like he's in pain when he does it. The thing is he does still keep himself hydrated after he vomits and he goes back to sleep afterwards too. I'm trying to give him a little bit of food so he still has some energy. I don't really have much money to go to the vet and would like to understand why this is going on. I'm really worried.

It's been six days now, any improvement? If not I hope you got your kitten to a vet by now. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 23,586 times
I'm having the same issue with my nine week old kitten, Artemis. I've been feeding her a mixture of Fancy Feast and Purina Kitten dry food. I've noticed that she's not really been eating as much as usual, but is managing to eat something. This morning, I woke to hear her being vocal, and then she'd throw up the wet food, or little bits of liquid. I don't have any household plants and all of my chemicals are underneath the kitchen sink, with a child safety lock so she can't get in. Her tongue is still nice and pink, and she feels warm to the touch - she even purrs when I move to love on her. My next thing is to find a Vet to check on her, but does somebody have any other advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or