Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times

Advertisements

He might have a urinary tract infection, would give him the benefit that it's medical and not behavioral and take him to the vet to check to see if it's a UTI, if it is, simple meds can clear it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I was reading a book called "THe HOLISTIC CAT" the author runs a rescue in Florida, and it is her belief that the rubber in carpet pads, and bath mats etc. can cause marking behavior because of the estrogenic properties of rubber.

The cat thinks another cat has already sprayed there.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
He might have a urinary tract infection, would give him the benefit that it's medical and not behavioral and take him to the vet to check to see if it's a UTI, if it is, simple meds can clear it up.
Been there done that. That's always the first step we take. No UTI. It's purely a behavioral issue.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Have you ever rubbed his nose in it? Or made a big loud fuss when you catch him spraying?

I had a cat that liked to pee on other peoples things. LOL
A couple nose rubs and chase downs with shaking nails in a pill bottle helped stop it. But you have to be consistent and do it every time. (Even if you catch it later.)

How many litter boxes do you have? Ideally it should be one for every cat plus one.
Do you clean the boxes twice a day?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Have you ever rubbed his nose in it? Or made a big loud fuss when you catch him spraying?

I had a cat that liked to pee on other peoples things. LOL
A couple nose rubs and chase downs with shaking nails in a pill bottle helped stop it. But you have to be consistent and do it every time. (Even if you catch it later.)

How many litter boxes do you have? Ideally it should be one for every cat plus one.
Do you clean the boxes twice a day?
Never would "rub his nose in it". Can't imagine how he'd make the connection. Anytime you have behavioral issues like spraying with a cat, you need to catch them within a few seconds of the act otherwise it's useless. Been able to catch him a few times and have had a spray bottle in hand to give him a blast of cold water in the face. In general though, I don't have time to follow his every move around the house to catch him.

Litter box is not the issue. We have 3 boxes for 2 cats and he still uses the boxes daily. He's not voiding outside the box, he's spraying on vertical surfaces. This is purely psychological. He has always been bit nervous and the Paroxetine definitely does help. He initially went two weeks without spraying and then this past friday he sprayed once. Since then, nothing. he seems fine.

I've had multiple cats for years. The basic stuff (# of letterboxes, cleaning them, etc) is not the issue here. This is a nervous kitty who sprays to feel better. It's more related to being a nervous kitty in a multi-cat household than anything.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Well after being awakened this morning by my wife screaming and clapping her hands as the kitty painted the entire back wall of our great room with urine, I took him to a shelter today. I'm heartbroken by this. Unfortunately we tried everything. The Paroxetine seemed to mostly work but he would still spray once every two weeks or so. I know that if he can be placed into a situation where he will be the only cat in a house, he'll be so much better off. He has so much personality, I'm really missing this little guy.

After returning from the shelter, I placed an ad in Craigslist with pictures and his animal ID number from the shelter and have already received an enthusiastic response from somebody who is interested in adopting him for his young daughter. He is going to see him tomorrow and at this point, it looks good for a quick adoption.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Well after being awakened this morning by my wife screaming and clapping her hands as the kitty painted the entire back wall of our great room with urine, I took him to a shelter today. I'm heartbroken by this. Unfortunately we tried everything. The Paroxetine seemed to mostly work but he would still spray once every two weeks or so. I know that if he can be placed into a situation where he will be the only cat in a house, he'll be so much better off. He has so much personality, I'm really missing this little guy.

After returning from the shelter, I placed an ad in Craigslist with pictures and his animal ID number from the shelter and have already received an enthusiastic response from somebody who is interested in adopting him for his young daughter. He is going to see him tomorrow and at this point, it looks good for a quick adoption.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Fabulous news, after 7 days in the shelter, our Mojo kitty was adopted today. I had placed an ad on Craigslist including links to Youtube videos of him fetching & playing. The adopter saw the videos in the ad and knew that he was the cat for her.

It's my birthday today and knowing that Mojo has found a new loving home is one of the best birthday presents ever. Yay!!!
Attached Thumbnails
At my wit's end with spraying cat!-mojo-sofa-arm-.jpg  

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
A most difficult situation handled well.

Happy Birthday!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Great news!! Mojo will be so much happier as an only cat. So happy for all of you! Thank you for sharing your successful solution, SoButCounty.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Never would "rub his nose in it". Can't imagine how he'd make the connection. Anytime you have behavioral issues like spraying with a cat, you need to catch them within a few seconds of the act otherwise it's useless. Been able to catch him a few times and have had a spray bottle in hand to give him a blast of cold water in the face. In general though, I don't have time to follow his every move around the house to catch him.

Litter box is not the issue. We have 3 boxes for 2 cats and he still uses the boxes daily. He's not voiding outside the box, he's spraying on vertical surfaces. This is purely psychological. He has always been bit nervous and the Paroxetine definitely does help. He initially went two weeks without spraying and then this past friday he sprayed once. Since then, nothing. he seems fine.

I've had multiple cats for years. The basic stuff (# of letterboxes, cleaning them, etc) is not the issue here. This is a nervous kitty who sprays to feel better. It's more related to being a nervous kitty in a multi-cat household than anything.
Glad you found him a home. I just used the nose rub on mine and he cut it out.
I would imagine he knew his own smell? I dunno...but it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats