Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Glad you found him a home. I just used the nose rub on mine and he cut it out.
I would imagine he knew his own smell? I dunno...but it worked.
If you're talking about rubbing a cats or dogs nose in their urine or feces, you are not doing a good thing. I worked in an Animal Hospital for years and we treated more than a few nasal and or sinus infections due to someone rubbing their cat's or dog's noses in their own waste. It's cruel, and can cause a very nasty infection that's not cleared up easily and can be expensive to treat. One kitten developed a chronic infection. E-coli and another bacteria (from her stool being forced up her nose) was isolated from a swab of her nasal passages. Not even Chloromycetin worked.

Rethink rubbing animals noses in their urine and stool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Please, please never rub an animal's nose in their urine or feces.

Never ever hit an animal.

NONE of these tactics are good, they are cruel, they teach your pet nothing but to fear you and they are confused.

If an animal is having accidents, it is incumbent upon the human caregiver to determine the underlying cause. Punishment is never an acceptable choice.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If you're talking about rubbing a cats or dogs nose in their urine or feces, you are not doing a good thing. I worked in an Animal Hospital for years and we treated more than a few nasal and or sinus infections due to someone rubbing their cat's or dog's noses in their own waste. It's cruel, and can cause a very nasty infection that's not cleared up easily and can be expensive to treat. One kitten developed a chronic infection. E-coli and another bacteria (from her stool being forced up her nose) was isolated from a swab of her nasal passages. Not even Chloromycetin worked.

Rethink rubbing animals noses in their urine and stool.
Not poop. Urine is sterile. Poop gets a "who did that"

I never shoved it up their nose. They get a tissue dab of urine on their nose.
Hardly cruel or full of germs.

My pets don't fear me. Stop being dramatic. They sleep around my neck.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
Question hand raised cat spraying and bonded to humans

This cat is just under a year, fixed and no other animals in the house. Stapled blankets to the window(really attractive-not) , to stop stimulus (figured that out quick). He cant even chase after the red light toy without spraying or leaking..what ever it is it stinks like spraying. Litter box is fine. Health is great..just had him neutered. Thing is he is "turned on" by humans.Yes. you heard me right. The behavior was curious...even baffling til i figured out what the heck was up with him. He got "turned on" one day when i had visitors that stood at the door and talked for a while. We were all laughing and thought the behavior strange,but i figured it out. Hes psyche is different. IN the kitty world..mom is mom and if they are left together then mom can become mate..this is what has progressed in my house with this cat, and mostly TO me. He was hand raised from day one and i got him at about 4 months. I see buspar is a answer for some. I will give it a try but, hes on hi last tries with living with me. I never had a house that smelled like cat..you could never tell i had a cat..now im finding myself infuriated every time it happens again. If there is anyone who can relate or has answers they would be welcome. Thanks..(couldnt figure out how to start a new thread so i just hit the reply for this one..sorry.)

Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Little Mojo is settled in with his new momma for 19 months now. No spraying at all. He just needed to be the only cat in a house. He hit the jackpot for sure. He now lives with a hospital chief of surgery. He's her first cat & she loves him to pieces. Back in May, we went to visit him to say goodbye before we moved cross country. Didn't even remember us and couldn't care less who we were.

Mojo has hit the jackpot this time. Luckiest cat I ever saw..... been rescued twice.
Attached Thumbnails
At my wit's end with spraying cat!-2012-03-25-18.22.02.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Not poop. Urine is sterile. Poop gets a "who did that"

I never shoved it up their nose. They get a tissue dab of urine on their nose.
Hardly cruel or full of germs.
For general information. As soon as urine leaves the body bacteria start growing in it. The cat wont see a connection between a tissue dab of urine to the nose and spraying on a wall somewhere in the house.

Quote:
My pets don't fear me. Stop being dramatic. They sleep around my neck.
It's not drama. It's called sharing information.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine Rollins View Post
This cat is just under a year, fixed and no other animals in the house. Stapled blankets to the window(really attractive-not) , to stop stimulus (figured that out quick). He cant even chase after the red light toy without spraying or leaking..what ever it is it stinks like spraying. .....
This shouldn't be happening. If he leaks, there is something wrong. He needs to be taken to the vet for a thorough exam. If he's been recently neutered it can take a few weeks for the tomcat odor to completely abate and spraying to stop. Leaking urine isn't normal.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Little Mojo is settled in with his new momma for 19 months now. No spraying at all. He just needed to be the only cat in a house. He hit the jackpot for sure. He now lives with a hospital chief of surgery. He's her first cat & she loves him to pieces. Back in May, we went to visit him to say goodbye before we moved cross country. Didn't even remember us and couldn't care less who we were.

Mojo has hit the jackpot this time. Luckiest cat I ever saw..... been rescued twice.
So glad everything worked out for Mojo. We once had a cat that should have been an only child, she just picked the wrong family to wander into (we already had many cats). She stayed with us her entire life, but I don't think she was truly happy. It takes a lot of strength to give up a cat for their own good. Kudos for doing the right thing.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Default spraying cat ever get resolved?

Hoping you are still on here...

I have been dealing with a spraying male for 3 years... someone prob dumped him in the woods by me. Have tried everything we can think of, ruled out medical issues... he is one of 4 cats inside and there are cats outside due to woods and he is indoor outdoors like the other 3.

I am at wits end. I don't think we tried paxil, but we did do prozac for 15 months and I had a similar experience where initially it seemed to stop it, but it just slowed it down in frequency...

so tired but cannot murder him or turn him out to a slow death living on his own... hunting for another home for him in a single cat situation, but he is a tough sell... very sweet loves to cuddle under covers... but also chews the corners of furniture...

praying you found a solution for yours and it might be our magic bullet too!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
OK, so two weeks ago yesterday he had his first dose of Paroxetine. Since then, his personality changed slightly. He has definitely been calmer. Even his "pretend spraying" stopped where he would back up to objects, raise his tail, then shake it, but wouldn't actually spray. It's been very easy to give him the meds every morning by sticking them into a greenie pill pocket for cats. He loves them. Comes running every morning as soon as I open the cupboard. Everything has been great with no spraying for the past two weeks..... until today. I noticed him "pretend spraying" again and within an hour, he had sprayed a wall in our great room.

WTF????? I wonder if perhaps because the splitting of the pills doesn't yield consistent sized pieces, that he hasn't been receiving sufficient dosage the past few days. The smallest they come is 10mg and he's prescribed 2.5mg daily so I need to split the tabs into 4's every 4 days. They never come out all the same size so I just wonder if that's not the issue.

Sure is frustrating because if he starts again, he'll be gone. It'll break my heart to send him to a shelter because he is so incredibly sweet. So much like a puppy with his fetching, etc. But we cannot & will not put up with spraying in the house.... period. We've had him for 2-1/2 years and I just can't stand the thought of giving him up, but what else can I do?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie0115 View Post
Well, you can find guides that solve this and other training issues. Instead of the expensive sprays, you can guide your cat to "not think out of the box". ......
Instead of spamming us, trying to sell us something, why not tell us your "secret" cure? We share here and not try and make a profit on each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats