Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I've always started mine off the same way as Cats mom - though I do not give treats - not good for the waist line over time. But we play with feet so they know it's not always a bad thing. And I start off by only doing one foot at a time when I trim. This way it's quick and easy, then they can go. A bit later I'll do another foot and so on until by the end of the day all feet are done. I also do not just let them run free when I finish - I usually hold them for a second or two and give them a nice pet so they relax and they don't leave me feeling upset.
None of my cats are overweight, and the amounts of mayo used are miniscule. I trim nails once a month, or right before a vet visit.

The way I see it is: they are allowing me to do something to them that causes them stress, something that they really hate, but because they love me and trust me, they let me do it.

From that perspective I believe they are entitled to a little compensation for their acquiescence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
All of the rest have taken care of their own nails on the scratching posts that I have throughout the house.
You are fortunate. My cat, and many others, if left untrimmed, would take care of their own nails all right, but on the furniture.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have had a lot of cats over the years........only had one that I ever bothered to clip his nails.......and that was only because he used to like to knead my chest. Ouch.

All of the rest have taken care of their own nails on the scratching posts that I have throughout the house.
I used to ignore my cat's nails as well - until Cookie's claws started to grow in to her toe pads. Came home one day and saw bloody paw prints everywhere. Upon examining all their paws I discovered she had two major ingrowns that left holes in her toes. Now I regularly bring her to the Vet to be clipped. I'd never be able to clip hers myself.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I clipped all of my cat's nails. But, I did it matter of factly. Just grabbed them, sat them down and clipped the tips off. Never had a problem. NOt sure why, but I never expected problems when I did it so my attitude might have just rubbed onto them that it was gonna get done. Once in a while, my little Calico would squirm and I'd just tell her that mommy has to do this. I was fast, too.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Being matter of fact about the situation probably helped you Pheonix - they pick up on you being timid about it!

Remember most cats do not like to be laid on their back - it is a very vulnerable position for them so the more upright you can keep them, the more luck you may have with them being agreeable. I usually try to sit mine in my lap with their backs against me almost like you hold a baby. Takes a bit of practice, but I can keep control of them, they feel secure and for my Lexie who like to bite at the clippers I can keep her head out of my way! LOL

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
there are several video's on youtube showing how to clip nails, not all of them are good ones...I found this one that did explain how to not cut down to the quick...worth a watch anyway.

Cat Nail Trim - Close Up View - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
My cat hates nail trims to this day. I put her on my lap with her back to my chest. She complains and hisses every time. I usually can do one paw but then I have to do the other front paw a separate time.

If I attempt to touch her back feet all hell breaks loose. It is rare that I get to clip the back nails, but I try to sneak it in occasionally.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My cat hates nail trims to this day. I put her on my lap with her back to my chest. She complains and hisses every time. I usually can do one paw but then I have to do the other front paw a separate time.

If I attempt to touch her back feet all hell breaks loose. It is rare that I get to clip the back nails, but I try to sneak it in occasionally.
It took one of my girls 6 1/2 years before I was able to do her back feet claws. I only just started doing them this summer. She hates having her paws touched for any reason. It took her over 3 years of just Paw Work before I was able to do any snipping at all. Then I could get one claw at a time...then I could get one full paw at a time.....then by the fourth year I was doing both front paws at the same time.

But it wasn't until just a couple of months ago that I was able to get hind claws on her. I'm so proud of her!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 AM

157 posts, read 587,141 times
I've never cut any of my cats back claws...don't know why this is even necessary since its the front ones that they would claw at furniture with...this is just my opinion, but I can only see the benefits of the front ones being clipped....-)

Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricats View Post
I've never cut any of my cats back claws...don't know why this is even necessary since its the front ones that they would claw at furniture with...this is just my opinion, but I can only see the benefits of the front ones being clipped....-)

I don't trim nails to protect furniture. My cats don't claw the furniture, they scratch their own furniture.

I trim claws to prevent injury while they are playing with one another..

To prevent them from being hurt by too long/sharp claws getting caught in something (such as a loose fabric) and being pulled out..

To keep the claws from getting too long and causing discomfort while walking..

To keep the claws from growing too long and getting embedded in the pad.

The girl I mentioned above was beginning to have this problem, that is why I finally attempted it. The others have always had their hind claws trimmed, but my wild girl never allowed it.

In other words, I do it for their health and safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats