U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,398,402 times

Advertisements

Let's see what we can find in here ...

PetfoodIndustry - Home
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM

It's getting interesting in the dog version of this thread

Iams Lamb Meal with Rice Dog Food has been recalled from Price Chopper markets, no FDA recall from

Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM

What can happen when a Pet Owner isn't warned about a Product Pull

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 4,350 times
I called Iams to ask about it. It's considered a "product pull" where they take the items off the shelves but don't announce it to the public. They told me that the levels were safe, but outside what they allow. So they pulled it in the stores that had it (it's not nationwide, but they couldn't tell me where the stores were). They also said there weren't any reports of pets getting sick or dying from it, which is good. I still think they should have told people though.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times
Dog Mom, you are 100% correct. I also called them and I spoke to our health services advisory compnay and they both provided basically the exact same info.

Anything below 20 ppm is considered safe. Iams does random "bag" checks where they pull completed products from distribution for testing. During one of those test, they discovered elevated levels of afflatoxin. They level was still way below safe levels but was above what they as a company set as maximum. It should be noted that our heath advisory service said that the elevated levels found were still below what many other pet foods (including some premiums) have as their maximum limits. So although the product was being pulled, it was more because they have a set amount they say is the maximum and some packages exceeded that amount but were still way below the safe level and below what most other pet foods allow.

The panic that occured was based on one place actually stating it was a recall when all that happen was iams asked retailers to pull certain items until they can say it was O.K. to put back on the shelves. This happened at the same time the FDA had updated their website and some people mistakenly picked up last years recall as if it just happened and put 2 and 2 together to came up with 666 and the hysterial followed.

What is interesting is that some eople, instead of saying they paniced and jumoped the gun, are trying to now create some form of conspiracy because there isn;t a recall. If the levels were high why wasn't a warning issued? Well the fact is that the elevated levels are still well below the safe levels and probably below what many other pet foods have.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM

5,502 posts, read 6,051,290 times
I appreciate this. I feed the ferals IAMS and no matter how expensive a food I buy 'mine' they want the IAMS.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Dog Mom, you are 100% correct. I also called them and I spoke to our health services advisory compnay and they both provided basically the exact same info.

The panic that occured was based on one place actually stating it was a recall when all that happen was iams asked retailers to pull certain items until they can say it was O.K. to put back on the shelves. This happened at the same time the FDA had updated their website and some people mistakenly picked up last years recall as if it just happened and put 2 and 2 together to came up with 666 and the hysterial followed.

What is interesting is that some eople, instead of saying they paniced and jumoped the gun, are trying to now create some form of conspiracy because there isn;t a recall. If the levels were high why wasn't a warning issued? Well the fact is that the elevated levels are still well below the safe levels and probably below what many other pet foods have.
The FDA website had NOTHING to do with IAMS, you may be referencing BLUE BUFFALO.

The "panic" was based on "elevated aflatoxin levels"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
['If the levels were high why wasn't a warning issued?' ] PacificFlights

YOU tell us why pet food companies don't issue a warning, until they have to because they get caught by consumers, or outside testing sources, or the anecdotal evidence becomes overwhelming, perhaps starting with the 2007 Recall of cat foods.

Let us know at what point in that 2007 "incident" owners with sick or dead cats, that attributed it to the food that had been fed, were officially notified that they were indeed correct in their panicky assumptions and were allowed the honor of an official recall.

Or my personal experience, which will ,of course, render me hysterical and unable to correctly interpret information from unofficial sources, or to be able to put 2 and 2 together correctly.

Elderly cat can't stop eating!

Wellness 6/3/11 cats still sick or dead

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Well the fact is that the elevated levels are still well below the safe levels and probably below what many other pet foods have. [PacificFlights]

Who is the "our health advisory service" that you got the information from, and may I ask "What aspect of the industry do you work for?"

Please provide Specific, actual supporting documentation for that statement, or you risk being no different than those hysterical people on the opposite side of the, at this point, argument.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since the FDA has only recently issued a Warning about Chicken Jerky Treats for dogs (five months after Canadian officials) any dogs sickened or dead, since 2007 until that announcement could not have been caused by those treats.

Better yet, since there is no recall, none of those dogs, since 2007, have been harmed by chicken jerky treats, massive anecdotal evidence be damned.

Canadian Vets Concern of Chicken Jerky Treats for Dogs

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ats-still.html

How the FDA sets "safe" levels: This article helps make this convoluted process quicker to explain.

How Serious is the FDA at Animal Food Safety?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BONUS LINKS:

Spectroscopy - January 2011

Spectroscopy - February 2011

Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Spectroscopy - January 2011

The first link for Spectroscopy (in the post above) posted one page off the intended article: Analysis of Toxic Trace Metals in Pet Food ...

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 PM

9,886 posts, read 10,002,623 times
Ugh, this link lead me on a path of reading about food for at least a couple hours today. That's okay, I guess, I need more push, but I don't need more worries, which is what I usually find unfortunately!

Among today's revelations (for me, maybe not new to some of you): if your cat food has ADDED taurine supplement (rather than ingredients with enough taurine naturally) it is almost certainly from China. Even for some manufacturers that otherwise go out of their way to avoid Chinese ingredients they might admit that this comes from China. If you don't like the idea of China-sourced ingredients, this can limit your food choices quite drastically. Sometimes even the pet food manufacturers might get confused because they would just say well, we get the supplement package from XYZ US company. But that doesn't mean they actually come from the US.

I don't want to ramble on too much here as to get the thread way off base, but I wanted to recommend spending some time with this Truth About Pet Food web site, if you can spare some. I've been aware of it before and have spent time reading things there before, but I learned additional things with today's reading. Always more to learn....

Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Or my personal experience, which will ,of course, render me hysterical and unable to correctly interpret information from unofficial sources, or to be able to put 2 and 2 together correctly.
At least you admit it.

There are some items in your post (and sorry it was written along the lines of UFO conspiracy theory babble and too convoluted to follow) that are incorrect and may be why your having a hard time understandingt hsi simple thing. So let ,me correct your misunderstandings.

1. The FDA issued warnings since 2007. They didn;t issue it 5 months after the canadians, the canadians issued theirs years after the FDA first issued the warning. So don;t think that the FDA is just now is dealing with it, they have been dealing with it for 4 YEARS! get your facts straight!

2. The FDA does not have the authority to recall an item without scientific proof. Note that not only does the FDA not have any scientific proof, neither does the canadians, Japannese, Australian, and the most independent group of all the British. Yes my friend the British also have no proof that the chicken jerkys are the definitive cause of these illnesses. All they have is that something isn;t right and may be the cause of illnesses and all they can legally do is issue Warnings and Advisories, they can not recall by law. And remember, its not just the FDA in the US trying to find the casuse, many private labs are alos inviolved all checking and cross checking.

3. Also remmeber that there are a lot of False reports associated with these treats. Remeber in 2007 or 8 when walmart suposidly tested the jerky after complainst and pulled it because their test showed the presence of melemine in it? Well sudddnely there was all these cases of sick dogs until one day, oops the test were faulty and it turned out there wasn;t any melamine in t e treats afterall. What happened next was the number of people complaining dropped to hardly nothing. It turned out that bandwagon wasn;t available for people to jump on. I don;t want to say that people were just jumping opn a cause because they had a cause, but thats what it looked liked.

4. Pet food companies don;t issue warnings until they have proof also. Lets face reality, they are in the business to sell their products to consumers and unless they have to issue a statement, there is no reason for them to issue it. They test their products for contaminations, toxions, and qulaity all the time, but just like the melemine incident, it wasn;t somethingt hey test for because it wasn;t something them imagined would be in the food. When reports started coming in, they started testing to see what the heck was wrong and thats how the melamine was discovered. There are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of items that can contaminate food and manufactures can;t test for everything. So unfortunetely, facts are facts, it will take illness and deaths before they know something is wrong. Thats life!

5. Our health advisory service is a international company we use to advise of of any issue related to any product that we may be handling. We don;t want to have 125 tons of cargo that can be embargoed or denied entry into a country because of some heath or hazard concern because thats jams us up. So we have the ability to use a service that scours every known reporting agncy or organization that issues warnings, embargos, restrictions, or prohibitations on items. I can find out if a bag of flour packaged in India is linked to some heath concern in Brazil, or if a toy made in Vietnam is suspected by a Nigerian health group of being a choaking hazard, or if the US CPSC belives a blanket poses a possible fire hazard. thats how i know. And No, i am not in the pet food induistry but belive me I have been to the factories and know the people who manufacture these products and more. I see what you will never see and I know things you will never know.

6. Anecdotal evidence does not rise to the level required by the law for the FDA to issue a recall. You want them to do something but have no idea what they can do. Have we forgotten the probelm of the early 80's about the processed primate food? FDA was being forced and harrased by animal welfare groups to issue a recall of those primate foods because there were a host of illnesses reported. Thankfully the FDA stood firm and after taking much heat, it turned out the food was not containated in anyway, but one of the approved antibacterials peopele were to use before handling the food and primates contained a toxin that was being absorbed into the food when handled without gloves that was the cause. The food has not changed and no recall was issued. The hand santitizer was recalled and formular changed to remove the chemical that was the actual cause.

7. If you expect the FDA to issue a recall everytime they get reports of illnesses from product they regulate without proof, expect bare sheves in the stores cause just about every food and drug has compliants againt it for illnesses or adverse reaction.

Emotions can sometime be more harmful than the actual product people are concerned about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats