U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 AM

14,702 posts, read 16,723,905 times
Default Who will care for my cats if something happens to me?

My husband and I own a very modest residence on 26 acres in SW Missouri. In addition, we own a business in Springfield which is 35 miles away. Because of the relatively long daily commute, one leg of which occurs at night, I am always concerned about what would happen if we were involved in an accident.

The problem is, essentially, that the only people who we really know are our customers. We do not have any "friends" per se. My husband has some acquaintances, but certainly no one who would notice we were not at home, taking care of the cats. No one who would "miss us" other than the people who would wonder why the business was closed unexpectedly. Nobody who would bother to find out what was going on.

This presents two problems to me.

First of all, in the event we were injured and could not communicate, no one would be aware that my cats needed to be fed. This wouldn't be too bad for a day or two, but if it lasted much longer my cats would be in a bad position.

The second problem is what if we were killed. My closest relative is really thousands of miles away and my husband's family is even farther. Having to deal with the issues would become a tremendous burden on any of them. And again, they probably would not be in the position to take care of my cats immediately because of time and distance involved.

I have been trying to find someone that I trust and who is honest to help me, but the three people that I have contacted have not responded with any interest in helping me work this out. There are a few people locally that would probably be willing to take care of the cats for a fee, but they would not be capable of dealing with the whole property/business scenario.

I have also contacted a local animal rescue organization telling them that I will donate my property to them if we can make an arrangement to have the cats taken care of, and they have not responded.

There is one lady who comes into our business who loves animals but she is a relative stranger and I feel strange mentioning this to her. There are other people who come into the business who I like and talk with and am friendly towards that I would be happy leaving my property to, but the are all dog people and might not be interested in making the arrangements to have the cats taken care of.

This worries me night and day. You never know when something can happen and I don't want my cats to suffer.

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions how to work this out? Any sincere advice is appreciated. TIA

20yrsinBranson
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 AM

43,773 posts, read 53,365,667 times
Not to be glib, but here's my thought...make a friend or two.

Seriously.

Is there not one person you already know that you could cultivate a relationship with?

Invest a little time in doing that - you'll be glad you did in the long run.

At the end of the day (or end of our lives) all that really matters in this world is the relationships we have and the people who've shared our lives.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to be glib, but here's my thought...make a friend or two.

Seriously.

Is there not one person you already know that you could cultivate a relationship with?

Invest a little time in doing that - you'll be glad you did in the long run.

At the end of the day (or end of our lives) all that really matters in this world is the relationships we have and the people who've shared our lives.
Thruthfully, I have no time to do that. I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week and 7 hours on the 7th day. I get up and go to work and I go home and go to bed, that's my life.

To be 100 percent honest with you, even when I *did* have time, I did not care to make friends. I am not a person who makes friends easily. Throughout my ENTIRE life, I have only had one friend at a time and right now, my husband fills that requirement. The only "friends" I have are customers and I really don't think any of them would be interested.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Thruthfully, I have no time to do that. I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week and 7 hours on the 7th day. I get up and go to work and I go home and go to bed, that's my life.

To be 100 percent honest with you, even when I *did* have time, I did not care to make friends. I am not a person who makes friends easily. Throughout my ENTIRE life, I have only had one friend at a time and right now, my husband fills that requirement. The only "friends" I have are customers and I really don't think any of them would be interested.

20yrsinBranson
So basically, when your beloved dies (which statistically he will do about 7-11 years before you), THEN you'll have time to allow someone new in?

Honey, that just doesn't make sense to me.

You have time to post here, so surely you have time to chat on the phone with someone a few minutes a week?

You actually LIKE living such an isolated existence?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
So basically, when your beloved dies (which statistically he will do about 7-11 years before you), THEN you'll have time to allow someone new in?

Honey, that just doesn't make sense to me.

You have time to post here, so surely you have time to chat on the phone with someone a few minutes a week?

You actually LIKE living such an isolated existence?
I am on the computer at work and post when it is slow (like right now). I don't have anyone to call.

I have always lived a solitary existence. I was an only child and we had no other family members living near us. We moved all the time and it was just easier and more natural for me to be solitary. I have one good friend but she lives 1,000 miles away. I have one good friend locally but she is 86 and not in very good health and doesn't drive any more. She wouldn't be able to help me if I needed it.

Its very difficult for me to make friends because I have nothing in common with people. There is nothing to talk about. No connection. Nada.

And yes, I am happy with my existence this way, except of course, when something like this comes up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM

35,039 posts, read 41,228,267 times
Branson, I have contacts in that region (friends and business associates as well as relatives).

Are you S. of Springfield? I kinda assumed you are b/c of Branson in your name, lol. You can DM me w/ more specific info if you want.

The problem is - even tho I know people in the region, I probably don't know anyone within say - 20 minutes of your farm/ranch. But I can sure check it out, if that would be of any assistance to you.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Branson, I have contacts in that region (friends and business associates as well as relatives).

Are you S. of Springfield? I kinda assumed you are b/c of Branson in your name, lol. You can DM me w/ more specific info if you want.

The problem is - even tho I know people in the region, I probably don't know anyone within say - 20 minutes of your farm/ranch. But I can sure check it out, if that would be of any assistance to you.
Thank you. I'll send you that DM.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am on the computer at work and post when it is slow (like right now). I don't have anyone to call.

I have always lived a solitary existence. I was an only child and we had no other family members living near us. We moved all the time and it was just easier and more natural for me to be solitary. I have one good friend but she lives 1,000 miles away. I have one good friend locally but she is 86 and not in very good health and doesn't drive any more. She wouldn't be able to help me if I needed it.

Its very difficult for me to make friends because I have nothing in common with people. There is nothing to talk about. No connection. Nada.

And yes, I am happy with my existence this way, except of course, when something like this comes up.

20yrsinBranson
I am so sorry to hear all this

I wish I weren't four or five states away - I would be happy to check in and make sure your cats were okay and that you were too!

Well, if cultivating a new friend is just not something you can do, then see a lawyer.

Explain your situation and your concerns.

He'll make everything legal for you and there will be no question what happens if something happens to you.

Then tape his card on your fridge and your desk at work with a note to call the lawyer in the event something happens to you. Even do this in your wallet and the glove compartment of your car.

See if he would agree, as part of his fee, to have his secretary make a check in call with you once a week to be sure you guys are still alive and kicking. If they ever don't reach you they would know to send the police to check on your home. How's that idea?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 AM

35,039 posts, read 41,228,267 times
The other thought is . . . is all the land wooded - or do you have pasture land? Just thinking about arrangements that could be possible w/ having someone else live on your property, do some work or maintenance in exchange for equity in property to be conveyed at some future date . . . there are creative ways to come up with an arrangement like that.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear all this

I wish I weren't four or five states away - I would be happy to check in and make sure your cats were okay and that you were too!

Well, if cultivating a new friend is just not something you can do, then see a lawyer.

Explain your situation and your concerns.

He'll make everything legal for you and there will be no question what happens if something happens to you.

Then tape his card on your fridge and your desk at work with a note to call the lawyer in the event something happens to you. Even do this in your wallet and the glove compartment of your car.

See if he would agree, as part of his fee, to have his secretary make a check in call with you once a week to be sure you guys are still alive and kicking. If they ever don't reach you they would know to send the police to check on your home. How's that idea?
These are good suggestions. Thank you. I'll give him a call and see if he would be willing to do something like this.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats