Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

My new little kitten woke up with pink eye. My regular vet does not work weekends so I decided to try another vet here in town who does work weekends.

Took him in and the vet looked at him for a second and then said 'We will take him to the back and treat him and then bring him out to you when you leave'

I have never had a vet do this before. I think one time, one dog was not co-operating and they took him to the back so they could have someone hold him.

The vet came out and told me that he did have conjunctives and even though I had told him he had had his shots, told me that it was because he hadn't had all his shots that caused this problem!!!

Am I over reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
ive had a few vets like that, its typically my cue to never use them again...first of conjunctiveitis caused by no shots...never have i heard of that one...secondly your kitty has had his shots...
potentilaly just a bid to try and get you spending more money to regive the shots...

i make it very clear, if they cant do it with me in the room, they cant do it...if they need extra hands to restrain or whatever thats fine ill stay out of the way, but there not taking them in back...

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I am willing to give the vet the benefit of the doubt - he may have misunderstood what you said about the shots. Pinkeye in cats can result from various reasons - it may be something bacterial or even an allergy, or kitty could have scratched himself in the eye or something. If this is not your regular veterinarian it's natural they may not be "up to speed" quickly on your visit. Typically, my vet is packed out on the weekend and I try to avoid going then if possible. As for taking him in the back, I have had that happen as well and it doesn't upset me in the least. There are animals as well as people who get upset when the vet starts poking around. They may have had fewer techs working and didn't have anyone to come into the room and assist them with your cat's eye exam. What I'm trying to say is that there are various reasons and responses to your visit. I am grateful that you found someone to treat kitty in the short term. You may feel more comfortable taking your kitty to your own vet and having a recheck and gently ask them about your thoughts - they probably won't say anything negative because that is not professional. You don't have to go back to the weekend vet if you don't want to, but as least you had someone to check out the animal and not make it miserable all weekend with a sore eye. Just my thoughts here.....

Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Took him in and the vet looked at him for a second and then said 'We will take him to the back and treat him and then bring him out to you when you leave'
This is getting to be quite common. Yes, my vet often does this while I wait in the exam room. Too many cat owners get upset to see their cat scruffed and stretched which doesn't harm or hurt the cat in any way.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
I have never had the Vet taken a pet in the exam room without me being there.
If they wanted to I would say "no thank you" and leave.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,771 times
I do not have problem with them wanting to take the animal in the back for a procedure where they may have better light and facilities for what ever needs to be done but I have reservations about it in some cases.

I had a bad experience with my dog. I think they mishandled her unintentionally no doubt but I don't know.

She was a self possessed alpha and nothing much phased her but she was getting old and under pain management for her hips. I forget just what the procedure was supposed to be but I think they lifted her or did a range of motion check or some such thing because when she came out she was trembling.

We never visited that clinic again and I wouldn't trust them with any of my other animals either.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
I do not have problem with them wanting to take the animal in the back for a procedure where they may have better light and facilities for what ever needs to be done but I have reservations about it in some cases.
I think I can agree with that. I remember a previous vet did this with a cat no longer with us. I believe they took her in back for an enema, something like that. Don't remember exactly what it was but related to that sort of thing. At that vet I wouldn't think anything bad of it at all.

It does bring to mind the procedures for an emergency vet place, though, which we experienced with the same cat. There after a quick initial exam you sit around for ages, not seeing your pet, and then they eventually get around to giving you an estimate, which they hand over the counter with less explanation than an estimate for your car repair. I suppose it's not all that different from a human ER in some ways, with triage, etc. explaining a lot of the wait, but the procedures and attitudes there are just wrong. It's a big specialty practice and ER practice in one, and they seem like they are making sure they manufacture business for the specialties from the ER. We took her in for a complication related to her kidney disease; the regular vet suggested she get some IV fluid for several hours or something. (This is a couple years ago when I didn't know as much.) That place basically ignored any previous info and wanted to treat her for cancer. We did let them do an x-ray, it was negative, so I tend to think they were wrong about cancer. They still got $500 of our money. I hate thinking about that place....

Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 PM

You would think the animal would be more comfortable with its "parent(s)" there than total strangers.

It is somewhat different but would you allow the doctor/nurse to take your child in the exam room without you there?

The only time we were asked about leaving the exam room is when we had to have an animal put to sleep, we stayed but they said they ask because a lot of people get too distraught.

Now if it is surgery that is a different matter.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
then they eventually get around to giving you an estimate, which they hand over the counter with less explanation than an estimate for your car repair.
Sounds like a local corporate Vet here we no longer do business with.

One time we had a cat that needed an infected and useless eye removed, it was an older cat so they wanted to do an expensive test to see if the cat would survive the surgery .... They wouldn't do the 100% necessary surgery without the test either. We ended up going to a small private rural vet and paid less than 20% of what the corporate vet wanted, and NO expensive test, the rural vet thought the test was silly considering the cat would die without the surgery.
The cat ended up living two or three years with one eye, since he had been blind in that eye for a long time already he didn't know the difference.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:09 AM

73 posts, read 155,027 times
Like others who've posted on this thread I too would steer clear of that vet.
Frankly, IMO there is no reason to ask you not to be present (we're not talking surgery here, or scans or anything). If the cat was a human child (minor) and you brought it to the doctor you wouldn't be asked to leave--you're there to make sure that the child gets a proper look-over and treatment. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that for your cat. (I might as well admit that my cats _are_ my kids so I take their care extremely seriously.)

Yes some vets may prefer you not be in the room, but who knows the cat better? I've had a few marvelous vets who actually want to know the details of what's going on / situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats