U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-26-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Location: PA
55 posts, read 418,507 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

My parents have one declawed 14 year old female cat and I moved back in with them 6 months ago with my two 2 year old, clawed, large bodied cats (15 pounds and trim). I thought it would take a few weeks and they would get used to each other but after 6 months, we have schedules for when my cats and their cat can be in parts of the house, to keep them separated. It's so annoying! I feel like I have tried everything, except for putting them all together to let them fight it out. My mom will not allow it, as she thinks my very large cats with claws will fight her old lady cat to the death. Cats don't really fight to the death right? One of my cats is aggressive and every time she accidentally sees my moms cat, she runs around like she wants to rip her head off (I feel that she is getting more excited about attacking her the longer we don't let her do it). My other cat is sweet and scared of everything and is scared of my mom's cat. So my aggressive cat would win any fight I'm sure, and she can be mean. Then my moms cat would probably scare my other cat to death before they fought, even though I'm sure she'd fight back if needed. Either way, is there anything else I can do to keep them from fighting yet still let them live together in the same rooms? Is letting them fight it out my only option? If so, is there a chance one of them will really get hurt or my mom's cat could have a heart attack or something like that? I would be fine letting them fight if the one wasn't 14 years old, fat, and unable to stand up for herself very well. My cats used to be so sweet and as soon as they saw my mom's cat, who hissed at them both immediately, they now hiss all the time. I just want them all to be nice to each other! Any help would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM
 
18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
Reputation: 24933
No, I don't see a good outcome here of mixing a young aggressive cat, with an old cat who is declawed. They can't "fight" it out.

Sometimes cats will just ignore each other, or hiss at each other, but sometimes an aggressive cat will fight, and you could be looking at a lot of family drama, and a possible huge vet bill if the older cat gets hurt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,620,142 times
Reputation: 5144
Don't let them fight it out. You are the boss and the peacemaker. Just let them get used to the idea of each other and if one gets to aggressive you correct it. When they hiss, just pet them both and tell them its ok. Some cats take longer than others. When cats fight they can do some serious damage to each other. If you don't care about that, you definitely will care about the vet bill that can come with it. I had a cat that was an outside cat and it was insane the damage she would come home with until we started keeping her indoors. A cat actually took a bite out of her side like she was a sandwich. It was horrible and disgusting. (also a very expensive emergency vet bill that was NEEDED no ifs ands or buts)
Try to keep the house calm and quiet too when you are having them in the same area getting used to each other. It helps a lot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: PA
55 posts, read 418,507 times
Reputation: 95
Thanks for your replies! I don't really have any experience with this and so far have only been told they just want to fight to see who is dominant. I didn't really think they would hurt each other to the extent of even needing to go to the vet, but I am definitely worried enough about all of them that I don't want it to lead to that. I see neighborhood cats fight all the time, it just looks like they are wrestling and then one backs down to the other and that's it. I guess that's not always the case!

I don't think it's an option to let them get used to each other and not have a fight. My mom's cat sits on the deck sometimes and if she sees my aggressive cat through the glass door, they both are hissing and jumping into the window trying to fight through it.

It doesn't look like I have too many other options but to keep them separated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 PM
 
18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
Reputation: 24933
The problem is, the declawed cat cannot get in a few swipes. That is what ends the cat fights, when both cats get a few licks, and back off.

I had this problem with a neighbor cat. He was mean. I never let my cat out. My mom came to visit, and she let her cat out, he was declawed. And he got beat up in the 15 seconds they were together. He had an abcess on his neck, claw marks all over him. It was bad.

I did have a cat with claws who seemed mean, he hissed a lot, and I had to keep him with my declawed cat. Th cat with claws hissed, the declawed cat ignored him. They eventually got along. What concerns me is the declawed cat, your Mom's cat, is also showing signs of aggression. If one was clearly ambivalent, you would not have a problem. But with both being aggressive, that is the issue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,620,142 times
Reputation: 5144
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
Thanks for your replies! I don't really have any experience with this and so far have only been told they just want to fight to see who is dominant. I didn't really think they would hurt each other to the extent of even needing to go to the vet, but I am definitely worried enough about all of them that I don't want it to lead to that. I see neighborhood cats fight all the time, it just looks like they are wrestling and then one backs down to the other and that's it. I guess that's not always the case!

I don't think it's an option to let them get used to each other and not have a fight. My mom's cat sits on the deck sometimes and if she sees my aggressive cat through the glass door, they both are hissing and jumping into the window trying to fight through it.

It doesn't look like I have too many other options but to keep them separated.
Have you ever tried putting them in the same room while petting them both after they have been fed? Maybe add some kitty calmatives to the system. Talk to your vet about what he can give you. Are they going to the bathroom in the house and not the litter box at all?

Another thing I do is rub a sock on one around the face etc and then take it to the other and do the same just to get used to the smell of each other so that isn't shocking. (only do that if you know they are both healthy so you don't transfer diseases)

My parents cat took over a year to get used to a new stray that moved in. They still have a hiss fights every once in awhile but it really did take those two a lot of time. The stray was declawed and smaller. They kept them apart in the first year with a wire gate between the upstairs and downstairs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
6,632 posts, read 5,401,405 times
Reputation: 4509
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
My parents have one declawed 14 year old female cat and I moved back in with them 6 months ago with my two 2 year old, clawed, large bodied cats (15 pounds and trim). I thought it would take a few weeks and they would get used to each other but after 6 months, we have schedules for when my cats and their cat can be in parts of the house, to keep them separated. It's so annoying! I feel like I have tried everything, except for putting them all together to let them fight it out. My mom will not allow it, as she thinks my very large cats with claws will fight her old lady cat to the death.
She is right and it's her house. Perhaps, and not to sound cruel, you should find your own place. This has to be stressful on your mother and her old cat.

Quote:
Cats don't really fight to the death right? One of my cats is aggressive and every time she accidentally sees my moms cat, she runs around like she wants to rip her head off (I feel that she is getting more excited about attacking her the longer we don't let her do it).
Yes, cats can kill other cats. Why should your mother's cat suffer because you moved back home? Keep your cats confined until you find your own place.

Quote:
My other cat is sweet and scared of everything and is scared of my mom's cat. So my aggressive cat would win any fight I'm sure, and she can be mean. Then my moms cat would probably scare my other cat to death before they fought, even though I'm sure she'd fight back if needed. Either way, is there anything else I can do to keep them from fighting yet still let them live together in the same rooms? Is letting them fight it out my only option?
You've got to be kidding - right? How can an elderly de-clawed cat fight a younger cat with claws? Find your own apartment and move out. This is very unfair to both your mother and her old cat.

Quote:
If so, is there a chance one of them will really get hurt or my mom's cat could have a heart attack or something like that? I would be fine letting them fight if the one wasn't 14 years old, fat, and unable to stand up for herself very well. My cats used to be so sweet and as soon as they saw my mom's cat, who hissed at them both immediately, they now hiss all the time. I just want them all to be nice to each other! Any help would be appreciated!
This will no doubt continue until you move out. I hope you make a good income because if your cat gets ahold of the old one, you are looking at some expensive vet bills.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: US
5,148 posts, read 5,620,142 times
Reputation: 5144
Are either of them urinating etc outside the box?

More helpful info:
Dealing With Aggressive Behavior In Your Cat or Why Cats Bite Their Owners
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM
 
441 posts, read 546,710 times
Reputation: 455
Whilst I haven't come across this problem. I would use a fully equipped crate to keep the aggressive cat in when unsupervised.

I would also try Feliway plug in, again I haven't use it but I have heard it is very good.

I would never put an animal in position that forces it to fight, whilst you state a cat doesn't fight to the death this is something I can't comment on, but your mother's cat has no defence being de-clawed it is more than likely your mother's cat will need veternary treatement. I have seen some horrific injuries from cat fights.

I always relate situations to the wild, if a cat is unwelcome a fight will ensue which will cause the loser to move on. In a domestic surroundings the loser cannot move on he/she is already home.

I kept my cat and dog apart for almost a year because the cat was 11 years old and my dog was then a puppy at 8 weeks old. The two became inseparable.

As a last resort some pets are better as the only pet in a household.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 05:27 PM
 
18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
Reputation: 24933
Or, you could de claw your cat. That would at least make your Mom's cat safer. That is up to you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top