Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thats very unfortunate. Are you referring to the thread "When dry Wellness is unacceptable... " where the owner talks about their pet " Weasie devoured all the Wellness flavors for over a year but now turns up her nose."?
yep, that's the thread. I bumped it up a little - it was about to fall off the front page.

Quote:
Like anything, I guess it great to have choices as what some people love, other people with dislike. Was reading the following and seems it seems Wellness was rated the Best Canned Food, but Expensive.

Wellness Chicken Formula Review
oh that's very true. and I'm not banning wellness - I'm actually sorta torn on it. For one thing, it's easily buyable (at least at petsmart!) although I didn't check on the price last night. And Dr Lisa lists Core as one of her favorites for diabetic cats (although I don't know how often, if ever, she updates that page). So I do what I usually do and search for reviews: very first listing is catfoodreviews they show the ingredients and frankly, the whitefish and salmon may make it totally unsuitable as Magnus has fish issues (dunno about whitefish, but it's awfully high up front and salmon is pretty fatty). But while the first 3 reviews are happy owners, the 4th one (and followup) had problems, the 5 was good, the next *7* are owners whose cats had urinary issues! 2 more who dropped it out of preventive concern (like me) and the next 5 out of 7 had problems. And that's just the very first review site!!

the second review has 20 reviews 18 of which are favorable (1 even said their cat USED to have struvite issues and now doesn't). but... it's a petco review page, so I'm not sure how unbiased it really is.

the third site, greenlittlecat, was more interested in green factory/business practices for pet food and was dismayed to find that the Wellness company is a very large (or at least acts like one) company, not a small one and does absolutely no recycling or green practices at all in their business (CustService actually needed to have it explained, what that was!)

Yes, Frank at about.com does like Wellness. However, looking at his page it appears he's only looking at ingredients and has nothing from users (or himself) on how his/their cats have fared on it. Nice, but not that informative if you are concerned over more than just the ingredient list.

Zootoo only has 2 comments listed: 1 person dropped it after 2 years because she didn't like that Petland carried it (or that Wellness allowed Petland to carry it, actually), and the other whose cat didn't like it.

Consumersearch appears to like it and lists all their sources (most of what I've just been through), however... I'm reminded of when I went carshopping and had beenlooking on their site to see who their top picks were. And then I find out on from a financial guru that consumersearch kinda trades on their name and confusion with consumer reports, but the brands pay for listing! At least, I believe this was the same site ( I could be wrong, have been before!). so... I'm not sure how much faith I'd put into this site

so after all this where does it leave me, or possibly you? dunno. but either the sources don't have the greatest veracity behind them, and/or an awful lot of anecdotal comments about sick cats from urinary issues. Since I'll be feeding most dry food when I'm away on a trip, do I want to chance a complication like this coming up with my 4 boys? uh.. no.

As for you... I can only make my decision based on the best I can do - which is essentially the lesser of evils. You can only do what you believe is best. But that's the research i was finding. Like I said, I'm torn: Dr Lisa likes it but there's too many complications for my comfort. So, I haven't bought any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Would appreciate feedback on whether anyone would hesitate on transition their cat from dry to canned food? Is it better for them? Helps control the weight better on indoor cats?

As for type, how does Wellness compare to Natural Balance; specifically, the Indoor Ultra Formula of Natural Balance, what makes it an "indoor" formula?
Fair enough.

You are definitely looking at brands with better quality ingredients than say, Friskies, many consumers never even consider the possibility of better food choices.

It may be difficult to find a PO that has experience feeding those two exact foods.

The websites for each brand will give information on content, if you want to post them together "the forum" could give their thoughts on pros and cons, regarding which formula/brand they would choose and why.

I looked at the NB Indoor /Formulas dry and wet.

The label on the canned Natural Balance reads the same as Natural Balance Original Ultra canned food, and there was no further info on the FAQ page, so I'd have no way of knowing.

FYI ... even with different ingredients, the whole indoor, grain-free, breed specific, hairball, etc. formulas are really more a marketing trend than a medical/nutritional one.

Is "Grain-Free", as offered by many Pet Food manufacturers, a healthy alternative or cynical marketing ploy ....

Pet Food Industry insider websites acknowledge this quite freely - (Google it)

The dry formula info listed the (advertised) benefits to consumers, but I don't see how less protein is a benefit to you cat.

"Natural Balance® Indoor Ultra Premium Formula targets the unique needs of indoor cats. Lower levels of protein and fat (compared to our Original Ultra® Premium Formula) combined with wholesome ingredients like chicken, brown rice, oatmeal and potatoes, provide a balanced blend of nutrition and function. Staying inside never tasted so good!"

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Indoor Ultra Premium Formula (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/IndoorCat.html#Guaranteed - broken link)

I have no idea what the actual, if any, different medical/nutritional needs of an indoor cat would be, I doubt there are any. Maybe a need for more vitamin D (sunshine) but that is just ME searching for a possible answer.

Feeding a 100% wet diet is preferable.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
yep, that's the thread. I bumped it up a little - it was about to fall off the front page.

the third site, greenlittlecat, was more interested in green factory/business practices for pet food and was dismayed to find that the Wellness company is a very large (or at least acts like one) company, not a small one and does absolutely no recycling or green practices at all in their business (CustService actually needed to have it explained, what that was!)

so after all this where does it leave me, or possibly you? dunno. but either the sources don't have the greatest veracity behind them, and/or an awful lot of anecdotal comments about sick cats from urinary issues. Since I'll be feeding most dry food when I'm away on a trip, do I want to chance a complication like this coming up with my 4 boys? uh.. no.

As for you... I can only make my decision based on the best I can do - which is essentially the lesser of evils. You can only do what you believe is best. But that's the research i was finding. Like I said, I'm torn: Dr Lisa likes it but there's too many complications for my comfort. So, I haven't bought any.
I just Googled Wellness cat food reviews, and I think I see the problem.

The first page or two of results are filled with sites that are more like advertisement/infomercial sites than proper nutritional/education sites.

As for Wellness trading on it's small time, humble, family beginnings, they certainly do try to maintain the facade of small, caring brand, when that hasn't been anywhere near the truth for Years.

I wrote this comment months ago on one of these "review" sites after finding out the hard truth, the hard way.

Wellness Cat Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis

leannan Says:
19. June 2011 at 7:38 am
Under the heading WHO is WELLNESS MANUFACTURED BY? The answer WellpetLLC is correct.
WellpetLLC(corporation) makes Wellness(brand) cat food.

The folksy story of a dog and a biscuit, reflects a distorted focus of a business that existed, independently over 80 years ago. Old Mother Hubbard.

The Wellness(brand) would not be developed by OMH until the 1990′s. Under direction of then CEO Jim Scott Jr. son of the nutrition professional who had purchased OMH in 1961. Wellness as a brand launched in 1999(dog food), 2000(cat food).

This is the opening statement in the first paragraph “The company that makes Wellness cat food has a long history dating back to the early 1900″s.” WellpetLLc was established in 2008 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Berwind. In 2008 Berwind acquired OMH/Wellness and merged it with recently acquired Eagle Pack to form Wellpet LLC.

Berwind now a private investment management company, began operations in 1886 as Berwind-White Coal Mining Company. Berwinds’ website states clearly states their business model and Acquisition Criteria: Acquisition target should be leaders in their niche market.

Back in 2004 the Scott family had recapitalized OMH retaining partial ownership with Catterton Partners . In 2005 OMH shut its’ doors , laid off over 100 workers and outsourced operations and manufacturing to 11 different locations.

In 2008 Catterton sold OmH to Berwind for 40 million dollars a 7x profit.

On February 28th 2011 Wellness quietly issued a voluntary recall of cat food that lacked an essential vitamin thiamine, that cats can not live without. Thiamine(B-1) must be supplied consistently in their food source.

Due to the voluntary nature of the recall, the FDA was not required to notify the public of the eminent threat to their cats. Consumers where not informed through local media or news outlets.

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
Rating: +1 (from 5 votes)

Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
You reply to a thread simply to keep it at the top of the list so it doesn't "fall off the front page"?????

If that's the case, sounds like you are simply trying to push your own message in a thread that has nothing to do with that if you look at the OP.

Anyways, feel free to use that thread to continue to push and voice your opinions.

I am interested in some constructive feedback from those who are actually using Wellness. You have made it clear you do not care for it, but sure no need to push your personal opinions onto others.

Quote:

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
leanansidhex wrote: I have no idea what the actual, if any, different medical/nutritional needs of an indoor cat would be, I doubt there are any. Maybe a need for more vitamin D (sunshine) but that is just ME searching for a possible answer.
I would imagine the main difference would be that indoor cats are even less active than outdoor cats so that would have to be adjusted for - calorie-wise, and possible something added in to maintain good bowel movement since their diet is different. I mean, most of the sites I see that talk about protein say that muscle meat is best. yet when my cats have caught a mouse or vole - it's not the muscles they are going after, it's the abdominal organs!! so it's not their normal diet. not for a house cat anyway. And even when the food says 'chicken' or 'turkey' that doesn't mean the breast meat they show on the label, it means that wattles and cartilage aren't the same as bone & feathers (byproducts). even good cat food isn't necessarily as good as we like to think. Short of going to the pet store and buying frozen mice... I don't know what to do that's really 'good'.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You reply to a thread simply to keep it at the top of the list so it doesn't "fall off the front page"?????

If that's the case, sounds like you are simply trying to push your own message in a thread that has nothing to do with that if you look at the OP.

Anyways, feel free to use that thread to continue to push and voice your opinions.

I am interested in some constructive feedback from those who are actually using Wellness. You have made it clear you do not care for it, but sure no need to push your personal opinions onto others.
wow, you are completely misunderstanding me - and haven't read the whole thread! yes, the OP was asking what to do when their cat won't eat wellness anymore. That essentially becomes 'what else is quality food I can feed my cat'. I did apologize for pushing in on that thread, because my concerns are very similar: I'm also looking for a quality food I can afford for my situation. I figured 1 thread discussing food was better than bunches of threads about food. the OP might be able to benefit from any suggestion that might work for me. AND I also addressed some posts to the OP!

Yes, I bumped the thread, so you could find it, and because I was updating my situation which was at the end of the thread.

I do realize you want to hear from others using wellness - can't say as I've seen tons lining up to answer you. I politely mentioned that on this forum, there is a bias against it and told you why. You didn't seem to believe it/me, so I gave you links. Me, personally, I don't have an agenda in this - I've never used it. I was going to, but I'm a little too scared to. That's hardly the same as pushing an opinion! I believe that was why I added the bit about you have to do what you feel is right. If you are fine with the wellness, that's up to you. I have to use foods that aren't the highest (as this forum feels) because of my situation. I hope it works out for you.

Ok, obviously you want nothing from me. I was only trying to be helpful since you sounded like you hadn't seen why people were saying how they felt. My mistake. I hope you get some answers from wellness users. as I said: I haven't seen them lining up for you.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Yep, you're on your own.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Not at all, I just find it when a thread is going on for that long, usually there is more too it especially when the thread just keeps getting bumped to push it to the top of the list.

Guess I should have realized when you mentioned this forum has a bias against Wellness. As I have experienced with other websites when the word "bias" comes up, it generally speaks for itself and its not a good sign.

Quote:
wow, you are completely misunderstanding me - and haven't read the whole thread! yes, the OP was asking what to do when their cat won't eat wellness anymore. That essentially becomes 'what else is quality food I can feed my cat'. I did apologize for pushing in on that thread, because my concerns are very similar: I'm also looking for a quality food I can afford for my situation. I figured 1 thread discussing food was better than bunches of threads about food. the OP might be able to benefit from any suggestion that might work for me. AND I also addressed some posts to the OP!

Yes, I bumped the thread, so you could find it, and because I was updating my situation which was at the end of the thread.

I do realize you want to hear from others using wellness - can't say as I've seen tons lining up to answer you. I politely mentioned that on this forum, there is a bias against it and told you why. You didn't seem to believe it/me, so I gave you links. Me, personally, I don't have an agenda in this - I've never used it. I was going to, but I'm a little too scared to. That's hardly the same as pushing an opinion! I believe that was why I added the bit about you have to do what you feel is right. If you are fine with the wellness, that's up to you. I have to use foods that aren't the highest (as this forum feels) because of my situation. I hope it works out for you.

Ok, obviously you want nothing from me. I was only trying to be helpful since you sounded like you hadn't seen why people were saying how they felt. My mistake. I hope you get some answers from wellness users. as I said: I haven't seen them lining up for you.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Thank you, as I think there is nothing worse than negative feedback and replying to a thread just to reply to it when it has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Yep, you're on your own.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Fair enough.

You are definitely looking at brands with better quality ingredients than say, Friskies, many consumers never even consider the possibility of better food choices.

It may be difficult to find a PO that has experience feeding those two exact foods.

The websites for each brand will give information on content, if you want to post them together "the forum" could give their thoughts on pros and cons, regarding which formula/brand they would choose and why.

I looked at the NB Indoor /Formulas dry and wet.

The label on the canned Natural Balance reads the same as Natural Balance Original Ultra canned food, and there was no further info on the FAQ page, so I'd have no way of knowing.

FYI ... even with different ingredients, the whole indoor, grain-free, breed specific, hairball, etc. formulas are really more a marketing trend than a medical/nutritional one.

Is "Grain-Free", as offered by many Pet Food manufacturers, a healthy alternative or cynical marketing ploy ....

Pet Food Industry insider websites acknowledge this quite freely - (Google it)

The dry formula info listed the (advertised) benefits to consumers, but I don't see how less protein is a benefit to you cat.

"Natural Balance® Indoor Ultra Premium Formula targets the unique needs of indoor cats. Lower levels of protein and fat (compared to our Original Ultra® Premium Formula) combined with wholesome ingredients like chicken, brown rice, oatmeal and potatoes, provide a balanced blend of nutrition and function. Staying inside never tasted so good!"

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Indoor Ultra Premium Formula (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/IndoorCat.html#Guaranteed - broken link)

I have no idea what the actual, if any, different medical/nutritional needs of an indoor cat would be, I doubt there are any. Maybe a need for more vitamin D (sunshine) but that is just ME searching for a possible answer.

Feeding a 100% wet diet is preferable.
I thought this answered all your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats