Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Read that last paragraph again. Parasites exist in nature, yes. That is NOT the same thing as your neighbor exposing you to them by their own actions.

Fire happens in nature, and the day could someday arrive when my house burns down because of a natural bushfire. It would be horrible, but there would be ultimately no one to blame. But if my neighbor drops a lit match and burns down my house, I'm not going to much care if fire is natural or not.

Your pets are YOUR responsibility. Which means if you choose to let them roam and they give me a parasite/ruin my outside furnishings/crap on my porch/eat the birds/get caught in my fanbelt, it is also YOUR responsibility.
For every cat you see in your yard there are 5 skunks, 4 raccoons, 10 possums, 3 rats and a partridge in a pair tree that you don't see at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Here's an abstract from pubmed. [Pasteurella multocida infections in b... [Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

"Infection with Pasteurella multocida caused by bites has been known for several decades. Cats are an important factor in Pasteurella multocida infection. Considerable numbers of victims are 'rescued' from the mouths of cats and submitted to bird reception centres for treatment. A number of bird shelters sent birds in this condition to the present authors for closer examination. The majority of birds caught by cats die. The mortality rates in shelters were reported to be 30, 90, 99 and one hundred per cent. Of the birds rescued alive from the mouths of cats, approximately 40 per cent died from the direct effects of the bites, and approximately 60 per cent died from Pasteurella multocida infection."

This is all very well-known information- I have no idea why you think I'm making it up. Just google pasterella multocida in birds.
Better yet...

What about "birdflu"???

If there is even a minute chance for any residue of the bird carried into your house and home by your cat who really really loves their owners and brought them in as treats for their owners. What happen if the owners have babies and the babies touched the dead bird first before the owner gets a chance to clean it up??? And you know how little children & babies always have a habit of putting things into their mouths...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For every cat you see in your yard there are 5 skunks, 4 raccoons, 10 possums, 3 rats and a partridge in a pair tree that you don't see at night.
Yes agreed... out in the country to secure your garden & farm...
You hunt & trap these 5 skunks, 4 raccoons, 10 possums etc... that you see or don't see at night.

Need a humane critter trap in a hurry, just buy them at tractor supplies.

But, you'll also have a big barn on a several hundred acre land where you can actually let loose your cat clan in that barn to chase and eat them field mices and rats all they want without them ever wanting to venture out into the fields to hunt for more, where the big machines are...

And best of all... the barn cats stay in the barn, they don't come into the household at all... not their purpose as a working cat.

To take care of the landowner's own (property, pet, family) is a must for that "owner"... but it does not extend to taking care of a stranger's property/pet nor a neighbor's property or pet.

I mean if someone else dump their belongings on my land, it becomes mine by right. Either pay me the rent for that someone leaving their stuff or I can do with whatever I wish to that stuff... includes burning & disposing when necessary.

The wild life & even the feral cats may be the property of the landowner (comes with the property)... but someone else's cat with their household tag????

And plus I do think it is just rude when a neighbour's cat wander up to my cat's cattery and tempt my cat to fight or prove her territorial rights.... THAT is just not nice.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

So I can put my dog in your yard, right? You have wild animals out there anyway, so surely you don't mind, right?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM

387 posts, read 337,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"You all are talking about cats."

Well, this IS the cat forum.... Should we talk about myocardial infarctions instead?

Quote:"You cannot train them as to where to go outside. They are going to scale any obstacle and roam wherever they deem necessary. Get over it and accept it."

I don't have to accept it. I paid a lot of money for many acres of land, and I have the absolute right to choose who and/or what goes on my property.

Get over it and accept it when, one day, your trespassing cat ends up in a shelter far away, with no tags.

Geez... what a sense of entitlement.
Removing the tags is actually a crime. So if you want to be a criminal why don't you shoot the cat and be done with it? That would appear to fit your style a little more.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
So I can put my dog in your yard, right? You have wild animals out there anyway, so surely you don't mind, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"So I can put my dog in your yard, right?"

Sure, you can. The local animal control officer needs to be kept busy.
Though he won't know who owns it, since it won't have any tags.

As it has been stated (ad nauseum), wild animals live on my property (those that I choose to allow to live there, which is virtually everything except domesticated pets, or feral cats). I choose to not allow any domestic cats to trespass on my property. My right, supported by the law, and enforced by me (and the courts). Live with it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Removing the tags is actually a crime. So if you want to be a criminal why don't you shoot the cat and be done with it? That would appear to fit your style a little more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the tags may have fallen off, somewhere in the woods. And to quote the legal code:" It is unlawful for any person to remove any license tag from one animal to another." I would never transfer tags.

I do not shoot living things. I DO try to give domesticated animals a better life, when they have irresponsible owners. I am willing a fortune to the SPCA.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

410 posts, read 742,750 times
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"You all are talking about cats."

Well, this IS the cat forum.... Should we talk about myocardial infarctions instead?

Quote:"You cannot train them as to where to go outside. They are going to scale any obstacle and roam wherever they deem necessary. Get over it and accept it."

I don't have to accept it. I paid a lot of money for many acres of land, and I have the absolute right to choose who and/or what goes on my property.

Get over it and accept it when, one day, your trespassing cat ends up in a shelter far away, with no tags.

Geez... what a sense of entitlement.
Thinking that you should be able to prevent animals from entering your property is a ridiculous sense of entitlement. We can buy and sell property among other people, but we do not own this planet.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Sure you can, I like dogs. Just watch the raccoon as it will kick your dogs butt. I sit in the hot tub about an hour after dark and it's like a parade of critters going by each night with all the night shift heading out to forage for food.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"So I can put my dog in your yard, right?"

Sure, you can. The local animal control officer needs to be kept busy.
Though he won't know who owns it, since it won't have any tags.

As it has been stated (ad nauseum), wild animals live on my property (those that I choose to allow to live there, which is virtually everything except domesticated pets, or feral cats). I choose to not allow any domestic cats to trespass on my property. My right, supported by the law, and enforced by me (and the courts). Live with it.

Psst...I'm on your side. My point is that WILD animal on my property is one thing. Someone else's PETS on my property is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats