U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,653,796 times
Default Why should you be allowed to let your cat(s) roam free?

So I woke this morning and found the neighbor’s cats crapped in the front planter and sprayed urine all over the porch. I always find three cats parked on the patio furniture late at night and I think it’s time to start trapping them for a trip to the pound.

So why should your cat(s) be allowed to roam free?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM

8,144 posts, read 2,441,733 times
Actually this is an interesting phenom. In the US every other animal is regulated into oblivion, but cats. Unfortunately, letting cats roam freely in many environments is bad for the cats as well as everyone else.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 PM

6,415 posts, read 6,624,738 times
Why should human beings be allowed to roam free? I came home to find my front door bashed in, my possessions gone, and my house wrecked. They even poured soy sauce on my family photo albums.

I'll take some cat Moderator cut: language removed in my planter any day.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-31-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 PM

11,399 posts, read 25,434,477 times
The neighbor's cats roam the fields around here. I'm fine with it because they keep the field mouse and rat populations down. The hawks would just do circles in the sky and rarely stoop.

The outdoors is not your living room. I see your cat and raise you half a dozen deer, a fox, a couple armadillos, a groundhog, and some owls. All come wandering over our property.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,679,797 times
Cats are naturally outdoor creatures and I believe it is cruel to not give them the option to roam outside and keep them housebound. Cat owners can take responsibility to train them to poo/wee in a cat litter tray inside. Just because some don't, doesn't reflect badly on the cats. They're animals for hell's sake!

Personally I'm far more bothered about stupid dog owners who let their dogs crap all over the streets and don't pick it up. Disgusting!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 AM

12,357 posts, read 12,203,430 times
I am far more irritated by cigarette smokers who flick their cigarette butts out of their car everywhere.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM

6,323 posts, read 3,479,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So I woke this morning and found the neighbor’s cats crapped in the front planter and sprayed urine all over the porch. I always find three cats parked on the patio furniture late at night and I think it’s time to start trapping them for a trip to the pound.

So why should your cat(s) be allowed to roam free?
I think cats should be allowed to roam free since it's basically in their nature unless they were raised completely indoors. However I think that people who let their cats roam free have to accept the fact that there can be consequences to letting cats roam free.

There are people that hate cats and there are those that like to hurt cats. In fact there are people who like to hurt animals period, but for some reason some people actually hate cats exclusively to the point that they would hurt or kill them.

My mom has three cats, one of which was tamed as a wild kitten (his mother was a feral living in her yard). To this day he's afraid of people and traffic and though the other two cats would logically be different, I think he might've rubbed off on them because they're afraid of strangers and traffic also while outside, which is a good thing.

In some parts of the country there are also wildlife and pets that eat cats. Cats can also get trapped and/or impounded.

Then of course if people don't fix their cats, they'll be running around the 'hood reproducing. Some people want kittens, but too many kittens is causing a major overpopulation of cats, especially feral cats. Nobody really understands the affects of this problem until they visit an animal shelter that is overrun with cats.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,756,003 times
I have nothing against cats, whatsoever. BUT, on my private property, they are not welcome, as I have a half dozen large birdfeeders, lots of wild birds (and a lot of wildlife, as I am on over 40 acres). I have gotten tired of seeing piles of feathers in the lawn, and neighbors cats stalking the birds (these feeders are 30 feet off the ground). I know that is in a cat's nature to hunt, and that is fine, just not on my property.
There are a few feral cats running around, but trapping them and giving them to the humane society is easy. I am a member and donor to the SPCA, and the local facility is literally overrun with cats.
Fortunately we have Rindge fisher cats here, which helps keep down the domestic cat population.

My belief is:
1). Notify the owner of the situation.
2). If not remedied, give a second notice.
3). If still not remedied, off to the SPCA, sans tags. (for chips that doesn't work, but after the first few times, the hint will be understood).

(And to the OP that thought is was ok to have cat poop in your flower baskets, and have your house invaded by burglars, what did you do to prevent the situation?). As most people would do, if you see a (potential) problem, you resolve it.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 12-31-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,756,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The neighbor's cats roam the fields around here. I'm fine with it because they keep the field mouse and rat populations down. The hawks would just do circles in the sky and rarely stoop.

The outdoors is not your living room. I see your cat and raise you half a dozen deer, a fox, a couple armadillos, a groundhog, and some owls. All come wandering over our property.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"The outdoors is not your living room."

No, it is not, but it is my property, and I have the right to determine who or what is allowed on that property.

Quote:"I see your cat and raise you half a dozen deer, a fox, a couple armadillos, a groundhog, and some owls"

I see your half a dozen deer, a fox, a couple armadillos, a groundhog, and some owls, and raise you bears, bobcats, porcupines, Rindge fisher cats, moose, lots of deer, hawks, herons, owls, foxes, groundhogs, hundreds of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, opposums, water snakes, bats, and a few others I don't know what they are, but wouldn't mess with.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 PM

4,185 posts, read 4,379,280 times
I take it this thread was moved from some other sub forum?

Many of us who post in the cats forum these days believe cats are safer, healthier and happier inside.

You can put some attractive gravel in the planter to keep the cats out of it. If cats are spraying your porch they are most likely not neutered. Perhaps you should have a talk with your neighbor about the responsibility of pet ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats