U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
 
461 posts, read 655,148 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Is Before Grain more along the ideal lines of protein/fat compared to Wellness and Weruva?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
 
4,317 posts, read 4,968,649 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Is Before Grain more along the ideal lines of protein/fat compared to Wellness and Weruva?

In my opinion, yes.

Before Grain is superior, to Wellness, for another reason too. It's not full of all those useless fruits and veggies that Wellness has.

I wish my little cat would eat the BG. My bigger girl is doing great on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
 
461 posts, read 655,148 times
Reputation: 101
Which 3 flavors of BG do you use?

Turkey, chicken, and ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In my opinion, yes.

Before Grain is superior, to Wellness, for another reason too. It's not full of all those useless fruits and veggies that Wellness has.

I wish my little cat would eat the BG. My bigger girl is doing great on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
 
4,317 posts, read 4,968,649 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Which 3 flavors of BG do you use?

Turkey, chicken, and ?
Oh, sorry I think you asked me that before and I forgot to answer. I use the chicken, the turkey, and the beef.

Only one cat eats them consistently. Little Cat has gotten so finicky I despair of getting her to eat something, anything, more than once. (and by anything I mean foods that don't have a lot of artificial crap, dyes, wheat, corn, or any kind of gluten)

But the one who eats primarily the BG used to be primarily a Wellness girl (paralell proteins). I thought she was doing so great on the Wellness, but after 2 months on the BG the difference in coat and energy was incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM
 
461 posts, read 655,148 times
Reputation: 101
Do most cats prefer nearly ever other flavor besides beef? So far, I have not had much luck with it.

I would think the Wellness flavors would appeal to most cats over Before Grain? Given the contents, it seems Before Grain has more of a "bland" contents, while Wellness offers greater variety?

Surprised you noticed a difference in your cats coat and energy when going from Wellness to Before Grain...any idea what attributes to this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Oh, sorry I think you asked me that before and I forgot to answer. I use the chicken, the turkey, and the beef.

Only one cat eats them consistently. Little Cat has gotten so finicky I despair of getting her to eat something, anything, more than once. (and by anything I mean foods that don't have a lot of artificial crap, dyes, wheat, corn, or any kind of gluten)

But the one who eats primarily the BG used to be primarily a Wellness girl (paralell proteins). I thought she was doing so great on the Wellness, but after 2 months on the BG the difference in coat and energy was incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM
 
4,317 posts, read 4,968,649 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Do most cats prefer nearly ever other flavor besides beef? So far, I have not had much luck with it.

I would think the Wellness flavors would appeal to most cats over Before Grain? Given the contents, it seems Before Grain has more of a "bland" contents, while Wellness offers greater variety?

Surprised you noticed a difference in your cats coat and energy when going from Wellness to Before Grain...any idea what attributes to this?
Sure, I think Before Grain is a better food. It's not loaded up with as many useless fillers as the Wellness is. Wellness has all those fruits and veggies which are of no use to a cat.

She likes them all, though, Wellness, BG, she doesn't care. It's the Little Cat that brings me to tears of frustration in what she will eat. What she would love to eat is Weruva and Soulistic, but they both give her diarrhea. Any foods manufactured in Thailand give her diarrhea, for some reason. Besides that they (Weruva and Soulistic) are much too low in fat for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
 
461 posts, read 655,148 times
Reputation: 101
Not sure where you are located, but in my area, the 5.5 oz cans are about $.30 more a can for the Wellness compared to the Before Grain.

Guess it would be best to do a mix of Wellness and Before Grain for a good mix of nutrition?


Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Sure, I think Before Grain is a better food. It's not loaded up with as many useless fillers as the Wellness is. Wellness has all those fruits and veggies which are of no use to a cat.

She likes them all, though, Wellness, BG, she doesn't care. It's the Little Cat that brings me to tears of frustration in what she will eat. What she would love to eat is Weruva and Soulistic, but they both give her diarrhea. Any foods manufactured in Thailand give her diarrhea, for some reason. Besides that they (Weruva and Soulistic) are much too low in fat for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM
 
4,317 posts, read 4,968,649 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Not sure where you are located, but in my area, the 5.5 oz cans are about $.30 more a can for the Wellness compared to the Before Grain.

Guess it would be best to do a mix of Wellness and Before Grain for a good mix of nutrition?
I can only get Wellness locally (feed store), not Before Grain. I picked up a case of Wellness today, and discovered the price has gone up to $1.50 a can. When I buy a case, I get one can free, so I really got it for $1.42 a can. Last time I bought Wellness, which was about a year ago I paid $1.37 a can, which with the full case discount came out to $1.31 a can.

I pay about $1.33 a can for BG, purchased online. I stock up when there are sales and free shipping promos.

One reason I like to keep a large back stock is, if there is a recall, the chances are good that I will hear about it before I begin feeding from that stock.

Which is also why I feed a rotation of brands and flavors (in case of recall).

And yes, a rotation of Wellness and Before Grain sounds okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM
 
461 posts, read 655,148 times
Reputation: 101
Sounds similar in my area. I have priced it around for both Wellness and Before Grain and both are the cheapest at Weber Foods. Wellness is $1.59 for a 5.5 oz can, but $1.49 if you buy it by the case for 24 cans.

Before Grain is the cheapest at $1.29, but again discounted to $1.19 when you purchase it for 24 cans.

Where do you normally get BG online that has sales and free shipping?

I just started using the cans, but recall a price increase in the Wellness dry a couple of months ago so the same probably happened with the cans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I can only get Wellness locally (feed store), not Before Grain. I picked up a case of Wellness today, and discovered the price has gone up to $1.50 a can. When I buy a case, I get one can free, so I really got it for $1.42 a can. Last time I bought Wellness, which was about a year ago I paid $1.37 a can, which with the full case discount came out to $1.31 a can.

I pay about $1.33 a can for BG, purchased online. I stock up when there are sales and free shipping promos.

One reason I like to keep a large back stock is, if there is a recall, the chances are good that I will hear about it before I begin feeding from that stock.

Which is also why I feed a rotation of brands and flavors (in case of recall).

And yes, a rotation of Wellness and Before Grain sounds okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM
 
4,317 posts, read 4,968,649 times
Reputation: 5073
For cat food I use these online stores:

NationalPetPharmacy.com, Petfooddirect.com (they are affiliated but often have different prices and promos)

petco.com

amazon.com

I keep an eye on the foods I buy in these stores and, even if I am not running low, if I see a good sale, I stock up. Other wise, when I find myself getting down to about a case and a half for any given food, I start searching for the best deal and order another couple of cases. Expire dates are two years in the future, so I don't worry about that.

When the food comes in, I check to see if it is the same lot as the last batch, or different.

When I start a new lot number, I make a note in the cat journal that I have started a new lot of food. So if there are any sudden changes in a cat's health I can have a pretty good idea right away if it might be the food.

(I keep a daily log on my cats. I got into the habit years ago, 1985, to be exact, with my first cat as an adult, when he had cystitis, then asthma....and it's been a very handy habit)

PS in some cases I have used the subscription feature and it has paid off, but I am not currently feeding any foods where I find that the subscription (aka auto ship) provides any benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top