U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM

450 posts, read 523,025 times
Arrow Calories and Fat of Canned Food

Been looking and trying several brands of canned cat food. Both of my cats have taken a liking, I mean a licking , to the following for 5.5 oz cans:

Wellness - 220 calories, 10g protein, 10g fat
Before Grain - 157 calories, 9g protein, 6g fat
Weruva - 84 calories, 10g protein, 1.4g fat

I am amazed at the spread of calories and fat. I have one cat at 8.7lbs and want to maintain her around that weight so am thinking of going with a combination of Before Grain and Weruva (might use Soulistic instead).

For my other cat, who is on the lighter side at 7.1lbs, I am thinking of going solely with Wellness until she gains about a pound and then use a combination of Wellness and Before Grain, both cats getting about 5.5 oz per day.

Feedback and comments?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM

91 posts, read 119,355 times
Http://www.catinfo.org the vet who wrote this incredibly informative page specifically discusses the low calorie level and high water level of weruva, and that you will need to feed your cat more of it to hit their recommended calorie requirements.

It's an awfully expensive food already without having to buy two cans to equal one of the others, but I do still get a few cans on occasions for reasons of variety. I just make sure it's not their sole or primary food.

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,707,220 times
There's a missing bit of info in this comparison; I believe you can't compare those directly because of the large difference in water content? I can't dig into it in more detail right now really, but look up some info (possibly on the site already linked, or maybe another site) on how to compare these nutrition values on a "dry matter basis".

It's not going to make this look a ton different, but at least it would be more accurate. Weruva is still much lower in calories because of the high water and presumably because the fat content of the ingredients is lower. Whether that is undesirable or not may depend upon a lot of stuff, but there is no doubt it means that you have to get more cans than the other kinds to be feeding enough.

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Exactly, which was the thought for my one cat who likes pate and chunky style, she would get Before Grain in the morning and Weruva for late afternoon and early evening. Then mix it up the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's a missing bit of info in this comparison; I believe you can't compare those directly because of the large difference in water content? I can't dig into it in more detail right now really, but look up some info (possibly on the site already linked, or maybe another site) on how to compare these nutrition values on a "dry matter basis".

It's not going to make this look a ton different, but at least it would be more accurate. Weruva is still much lower in calories because of the high water and presumably because the fat content of the ingredients is lower. Whether that is undesirable or not may depend upon a lot of stuff, but there is no doubt it means that you have to get more cans than the other kinds to be feeding enough.

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM

7,804 posts, read 11,248,213 times
Sophie will only eat dry food (of the snack variety~ The Goodlife Recipe ) which is why she is nearly 15 pounds. I am not sure how many calories this has, but she eats at least 3/4 of a cup of it a day . She will not even eat Fancy Feast or homemade turkey and gravy that every other cat I have had have loved).

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,463,974 times
My girl who tends to chub gets Merrick Before Grain, 4.5 ounces a day (slightly less than a full can). Every few days she gets a can of Weruva Nine Livers or Soulistic Good Karma Chicken instead, BECAUSE they are low calorie.

This has helped her maintain a healthy weight.

Wellness is higher in calories than most, I'm not sure why, with the chicken being the highest (the 220 you mentioned earlier) When I was feeding her only the Wellness chicken, she gained weight if I gave her more than 3 ounces a day.

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,033,565 times
I think there will come a day when we will be discussing whether the fat content of cat food (not even including treats) has contributed to, or caused pancreatitis.

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:21 AM

Good to hear about Wellness as Tabitha needs to gain about a pound. Then I want to gradually give her more Before Grain than anything else, with Wellness and Weruva as an occasional variation.

Lucy on the other hand needs to maintain her current weight so it seems Before Grain with occasional variations of Weruva should work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My girl who tends to chub gets Merrick Before Grain, 4.5 ounces a day (slightly less than a full can). Every few days she gets a can of Weruva Nine Livers or Soulistic Good Karma Chicken instead, BECAUSE they are low calorie.

This has helped her maintain a healthy weight.

Wellness is higher in calories than most, I'm not sure why, with the chicken being the highest (the 220 you mentioned earlier) When I was feeding her only the Wellness chicken, she gained weight if I gave her more than 3 ounces a day.

Unread 01-04-2012, 05:51 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,463,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I think there will come a day when we will be discussing whether the fat content of cat food (not even including treats) has contributed to, or caused pancreatitis.
Cats' bodies are meant to have fat in their diet. Animal fat specifically.

Since the fat content does vary so much from brand to brand, that's just one more reason to keep a rotation in their diets.

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Catsmom21/leanansidhex - Between Wellness, Before Grain, and Weruva, then where do you think is the ideal fat content?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats