Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valecannon View Post
My Vet suggested I change cat food to the prescription brand as Rebecca has kidney disease. She stopped eating. First the prescription brand then her regular food. I took her back to the Vet. Some of her levels went down so he told me to mix her regular food with the new food and transition to the new food that way. She has not eaten anything in two days, nothing. I was feeding her prescription dry food which she liked but now she doesn't even eat that. What do I do now?
I refused the Vet food for my CRF cat. Iams is what she liked and all she wanted to eat. The whatever that is supposed to be in a certain range for them was in range in Iams so I let her eat what she liked. It's better than not eating. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Just like with humans, the foods that cats crave is probably what is doing the most damage. A good way to transition a cat to a healthful diet is to give them a solid food vacation. Let their digestive tracts rest and HEAL -- ESPECIALLY if there is a vomiting or diarrhea or a constipation issue.

Besides, food doesn't do anyone any good, including for cats, until it is digested and transformed to energy for the cells. It takes 80 percent of a mammals energy just to digest it. That means only 20 percent left over to do everything else. Giving junky cat food is even harder to digest and to find any worthwhile food that can be useful to a cat's body.

One of the B.A.R.F. diets after a period of fasting on chicken or other meat and bone broth would be what I would advise for any very sick cat.

If the cat is vomiting, the vet should also be asking about the stools. If the stools aren't normal, the vomiting could be a sign of inflammation somewhere in the digestive tract.

Eating too fast and being constantly hungry shows a malabsorption problem or parasite problem. Also, when you think about it, cats in the wild do not eat their food pureed like cat food manufacturers sell it. Rather, they eat whole pieces of the animal flesh, bones, blood. They do a good amount of chewing before they swallow which is an important part of the digestive process.

The adrenal glands which control the autonomic nervous system controls digestion so adrenals can come into play too.

I would have blood work done and if the Creatinine levels are high, I would begin giving the cat kidney glandulars along with the best possible home prepared diet.(I have reversed kidney disease in a cat this way and I have the blood work to prove it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats