Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times

Advertisements

Always had dogs, then a cat turned up one summer. I assumed it was a new neighbour's cat and while I was gardening he lazed close by. I can't say I didn't like cats, I wasn't used to them. Anyway after a few days I realised he was a stray and I allowed him to move in. That was over 25 years ago and to date I have owned more cats than dogs. I tend to own one dog at a time whereas I tend to own two or three cats at anyone time.

I own three cats, a dog and a rabbit.

I suppose it makes sense that a certain type of person is attracted to a particular pet but I think that the choice of pet is more likely to be due to a person's lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh geez.....

Quote:"Don't know how scientific this study was....."

Ok, so you are making statements, without any confirmed reliable data sources, or understanding how the data was gathered.

Quote:"So---we should pat ourselves on the back for being classy, deep, introspective types!"

Also, you are making conclusions without any confirmed reliable data sources, or understanding how the data was gathered.

You should also pat yourselves on the back for not understanding the scientific method, and not understanding the interpretation of data.
Geez....lighten up.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Labels are for wine bottles!

(at least wine is something my cats won't get into ... )

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Amber is pretty much like Jasper. But I think you are reading FAR too much into that post in order to suggest that jasper12 (or I) are owners as you describe Category 1 who see their cats as "furniture". That post is not in any way in opposition to Category 2 treating pets as family, so I can't understand at all why it would provoke that response.

It's a perfectly good question. I totally get where jasper12 is coming from. The question posed is "Why take a pet into your home?" not "Why treat a pet as family?" Why do we take pets into our homes when for practical purposes what they do is cost us time and money and heartache? It's an interesting question, ruined by that response.
I think that you took my response in a way that it wasn't intended - and that is that you saw me as writing it in a tone that was sarcastic or malicious.

However in a response - I don't think that anyone in what I view as the Category 2 generally views their pets as something that just cost them time, money and heartache.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I think that you took my response in a way that it wasn't intended - and that is that you saw me as writing it in a tone that was sarcastic or malicious.
Perhaps, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
However in a response - I don't think that anyone in what I view as the Category 2 generally views their pets as something that just cost them time, money and heartache.
...there's an important word in bold there that you are making up on your own that nobody said.

In practical terms, which is what I wrote, pets DO cost us time and money and heartache. (So does a child!) Is it not true? But nobody ever said JUST those things, and obviously so, for if it were truly JUST those things there would be little reason left to have a pet. Why does recognizing that these practical costs exist and there is little practical reason to have a cat mean I think cats are like furniture?

There are people in Category 1, of that I have no doubt. It's just that your sorting is a bit off. Just because I can see that it's rather impractical to have a cat in the first place doesn't alone suggest that I do not regard the cat much more highly than a lot of people, treat it like a member of the family, etc. I don't use the terms baby or kid for the cat; I find that a little too cutesy. But I made sure for example even 15 years ago that she had a name that would also be acceptable for a person. (I read baby name lists to help figure it out. ) I keep on top of her health care. I agonize over the foods, even if sometimes she is still eating junk. I try to learn more and more about health and nutrition for cats so that I know what to expect. I don't take her everywhere with me, but then she's plenty old enough to stay home by herself for a few hours, even in human years. She is the center of our attention here, probably more than she wishes sometimes. I'm not sure how that could not be considered part of the family. I care more about Amber than some people who really are relations....

Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I don't want to go too far off topic, but if I treated a pet like furniture, I would not have spent as much money, time, and hassle to move Jasper across the country last summer, I could have just left him at the apt, along with a few old chairs. So, no, Jasper is not treated like furniture.

However, I don't elevate pets over people. Jasper is a cat, he is not my son.

I will admit, I got him specifically because I knew Beau, our other cat, was not healthy. I got him solely for my daughter, not that Jasper could ever replace Beau, but to make her happy.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Don't know how scientific this study was, but seems that people were polled and cat people are:

11% more likely to be introverts
17% more likely to have a graduate degree
25% to prefer George Harrison as their favorite Beatle (dog people like Paul)
21% more likely to prefer ironic humor and puns (dog people like slapstick)

So---we should pat ourselves on the back for being classy, deep, introspective types!
This is supposed to be "fun", after all. I wouldn't rely on the Reader's Digest for any scientific information. Anyway, my takes on it:

I am rather introverted.
I have a graduate degree.
I like Paul more than any other Beatle, but what the heck, I'm a bass player!
I like all three kinds of humor, from the Three Stooges to irony.

So I suppose it gets 2.5 out of 4. BTW, I don't hate dogs, but I much prefer cats.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Oh, yeah, well:

Introvert, check.
Graduate degree: nope, try no degree at all
Favorite Beatle: hm, never really thought about favorite, but I wouldn't say Paul necessarily, although I have seen Paul in concert
Humor, definitely not slapstick, check

So 2.5 out of 4 again? And yeah I don't hate dogs either. I enjoy interacting with a dog now and then, but I don't seek it out on a regular basis. For example, there are specific rules on volunteer training at the shelter, and I've only done the cat training. I have no particular inclination to go there to walk and play with the dogs. I wouldn't likely bring a dog into the house myself. But I certainly don't dislike them. Seems to me cats inspire more dislike than dogs, despite the fact that in the US we keep overall more cats than dogs, heh.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
OK, as long as we're playing. I consider myself a straight-down-the-middle dog/cat person, at one time a dog person who liked cats but didn't want to own one.
More to the introverted side of the spectrum.
No graduate degree.
In the early Beatle days when I was a kid, had a crush on George, later when their music changed and I became a hippie, favorite was John.
Like ironic humor, slapstick sometimes, puns...uh, no.
Next contestant?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Well okay

introverted - check
graduate degree - two year only
Beatles pick - don't like them at all (gasp!)
Ironic humor - check - sarcasm is my middle name though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats