U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What Flavors Of Before Grain Canned Does Your Cat Like?
Beef 3 75.00%
Chicken 4 100.00%
Turkey 4 100.00%
Quail and Chicken 0 0%
Salmon 0 0%
Tuna 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,455,529 times
Quote:
Does the fruits and veggies help as a source of fiber and help with digestion?
It's just a marketing ploy. People think of fruits and veggies as wholesome, but cats don't need and can't properly utilize fruits and veggies because they are carnivores. They don't need fiber in their digestive tracts, that's an omnivore thing. A carnivore's digestive tract moves much faster and is adapted to digesting prey, not plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,938,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Does the fruits and veggies help as a source of fiber and help with digestion?
Not really. Cats are obligate carnivores and their bodies aren't designed to process vegetable matter. It's just expensive filler that pet food manufacturers have latched onto, because it sells pet food. The human thinks (and even vets are known to say this) "wow look at all those good fruits and veggies this must be a good food!"

When the truth is, the cats body does not really benefit from these things.

Unfortunately, when one wants to rotate brands, and has a finicky cat, sometimes it's a matter of lesser of two evils. So, for instance my Little Cat eats the Before Grain, every few days, but the other foods I've found that she will eat that meet my minimum criteria (no grain, no gluten, no powdered cellulose, no medadione sodium bisulfate, no artifical anything, no sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate, no dye) all contain some forms of fruits and veggies.

Where I can, I pick them out.

I like how well my cats are doing on the Before Grain, but that doesn't mean I trust the company, any more than I trust any other pet food manufacturer. For instance I loathe Purina, but I am just as suspicious of any other company as I am of Purina.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

450 posts, read 566,956 times
Guess I was thinking it would be helpful when it comes to hairballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It's just a marketing ploy. People think of fruits and veggies as wholesome, but cats don't need and can't properly utilize fruits and veggies because they are carnivores. They don't need fiber in their digestive tracts, that's an omnivore thing. A carnivore's digestive tract moves much faster and is adapted to digesting prey, not plants.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 PM

I guess I am surprise that fruits and vegetables would actually make the product more expensive compared to Before Grain.

Between Wellness and Before Grain, would you expect to see any difference in feeding one or the other for effects on a cat?

I know many comment on how Wellness makes their cat's coat so shiny and their cat is full of energy; I assume the same holds true for Before Grain.

For now I am going with a 50/50 split between the two brands. I know the protein level is comparable, but Before Grain has a little less fat and a few less calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Not really. Cats are obligate carnivores and their bodies aren't designed to process vegetable matter. It's just expensive filler that pet food manufacturers have latched onto, because it sells pet food. The human thinks (and even vets are known to say this) "wow look at all those good fruits and veggies this must be a good food!"

When the truth is, the cats body does not really benefit from these things.

Unfortunately, when one wants to rotate brands, and has a finicky cat, sometimes it's a matter of lesser of two evils. So, for instance my Little Cat eats the Before Grain, every few days, but the other foods I've found that she will eat that meet my minimum criteria (no grain, no gluten, no powdered cellulose, no medadione sodium bisulfate, no artifical anything, no sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate, no dye) all contain some forms of fruits and veggies.

Where I can, I pick them out.

I like how well my cats are doing on the Before Grain, but that doesn't mean I trust the company, any more than I trust any other pet food manufacturer. For instance I loathe Purina, but I am just as suspicious of any other company as I am of Purina.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,938,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I guess I am surprise that fruits and vegetables would actually make the product more expensive compared to Before Grain.

Between Wellness and Before Grain, would you expect to see any difference in feeding one or the other for effects on a cat?

I know many comment on how Wellness makes their cat's coat so shiny and their cat is full of energy; I assume the same holds true for Before Grain.

For now I am going with a 50/50 split between the two brands. I know the protein level is comparable, but Before Grain has a little less fat and a few less calories.
I did see a difference. Two years ago I was feeding Wellness almost exclusively to one of my adult females. Her coat was lush and her eyes were bright.

However, I was starting to notice some inconsistencies in the Wellness batches (this was about 2 years after the buy out) and I was impatient with the fruit and veggie fillers.

I gradually switched over to Before Grain. After about two months on the Before Grain, I couldn't believe the difference. I thought her coat had been as soft and luxurious as it could be. I was wrong. On the BG her coat is twice as nice. Her weight is easier to manage because BG has fewer calories. I'm not worried about fat content, cats are supposed to have animal fat. What they don't need is sugar, and you know what fruit is? Pure sugar.

Wellness turkey is still in her rotation, but only about once every two weeks.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM

For both of my cats, one needs to lose about a pound (feeding her primarily one 5.5 oz can per day) and the other needs to gain about a pound (feeding her primarily Wellness since it is higher in calories and fat.

Once the one gains about a pound, I am planning on feeding them both primarily Before Grain.

You bring up an interesting point with the fruits and sugar content....we all know how big of a problem that has been for most humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I did see a difference. Two years ago I was feeding Wellness almost exclusively to one of my adult females. Her coat was lush and her eyes were bright.

However, I was starting to notice some inconsistencies in the Wellness batches (this was about 2 years after the buy out) and I was impatient with the fruit and veggie fillers.

I gradually switched over to Before Grain. After about two months on the Before Grain, I couldn't believe the difference. I thought her coat had been as soft and luxurious as it could be. I was wrong. On the BG her coat is twice as nice. Her weight is easier to manage because BG has fewer calories. I'm not worried about fat content, cats are supposed to have animal fat. What they don't need is sugar, and you know what fruit is? Pure sugar.

Wellness turkey is still in her rotation, but only about once every two weeks.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Both of my cats were enjoying the Turkey and Chicken flavors, but suddenly my one cat has turned her nose up to the Turkey flavor. Is the taste of it not as good as Chicken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats